PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Changing spark plugs, do I need new intake manifold gaskets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jun 2015, 08:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Changing spark plugs, do I need new intake manifold gaskets?

So I'm going to replace the spark plugs in my PT, and I've never done this before in my life. I'm honestly using my PT as a learning platform, but I'd rather not totally screw up the car.

I've done some research and know that I've got to take off the intake manifold and lift it up to get the plugs, but does this mean I'll need to put new gaskets on it? Where can I get them, and just how do I go about doing it correctly?

In case anyone is curious, I'm planning on orderings these.

Plugs

Wires

Dielectric

Anti-Seize
Old 22 Jun 2015, 08:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Changing spark plugs, do I need new intake manifold gaskets?

I've changed plugs twice on my cruiser and still using the same over red gaskets between the intakes. Just take your time, use the proper torque on all the bolts and plugs and check over the gaskets before re-using them.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 09:06 pm
Young Cruiser

I don't know. It's such a chore to take off the manifold, I'd just replace them. Cheap insurance and things are already apart. Also, if your car has a lot of mileage on it, you'd be ahead to replace the upper radiator hose. It's also mostly underneath the manifold and will be easier to remove with the manifold out of the way. Just be sure to reuse or replace with OEM, the spring clamps. DO NOT use worm type hose clamps on a plastic radiator. AND, you might want to replace the valve cover gasket set, especially if you find oil in the spark plug holes. The valve cover gaskets are notorious for leaking with age.

Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog PT Cruiser
Old 22 Jun 2015, 09:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I've changed plugs twice on my cruiser and still using the same over red gaskets between the intakes. Just take your time, use the proper torque on all the bolts and plugs and check over the gaskets before re-using them.
Still the original gaskets on mine as well
Old 23 Jun 2015, 08:21 am
Cool Cruiser

no.. I finally did mine 64.5k...I used bungee to hold intake up to hood..just enough room for socket and extension..i torqued my plugs instead of the 1/16 route

Tags
gaskets, intake manifold, spark plugs