Advertisements
Stumble off idle

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KA9VQF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2015, 07:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Stumble off idle

This is the last of my drive-ability issues. I seem to have a sag in the throttle right off idle. After sitting at a stoplight,I get a momentary sag in throttle response when I accelerate. Also, when I am on the highway and I try to maintain my speed there is a surge just off idle. I hope these two things are related. Now I just have to fix it.
Old 27 Jun 2015, 09:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stumble off idle

Can you post all the parts you have replaced or repaired so far that might be related to this issue?
Old 28 Jun 2015, 05:48 pm
Young Cruiser

So far I have replaced the plugs and wires, egr valve, timing belt kit, radiator and cleaned throttle body. I swapped the tps with a used one but no difference. The fuel pump has been tested and it is at specs. The compression has been checked and it is around 175 + or - 3psi in all 4 cylinders. So??
Old 28 Jun 2015, 05:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

What did you gap the plugs at, it's not .50 like the sticker says...it was changed to .40.
Since you mentioned the EGR Valve, that means you have an early PT...what year & model is your Cruiser..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 28 Jun 2015, 06:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As long as you cleaned inside the throttle body where there is a center sleeve that rotates that can get coated with carbon as well as the brass-colored tapered tip.
If those parts have been cleaned then I would consider looking at the TSB below.

This might have help you with your problem.

NUMBER: 18-027-01
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: Nov. 23, 2001

SUBJECT:
Highway Speed Surge
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2001-2002 (JR) Sebring Sedan/Stratus Sedan/Sebring Convertible 2001-2002 (PT) PT Cruiser 2001-2002 (RS) Caravan/Voyager 2001-2002 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets) NOTE :THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES WITH A 2.4L ENGINE.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Moderate to severe highway speed 72-97 kph (45-60 mph) vehicle surge.
More prevalent on smooth flat roads or roads with a slight grade in warmer ambient temperatures above 24C. ( 75F). NOTE :THIS PCM SOFTWARE UPDATE WILL PROVIDE A SURGE IMPROVEMENT FOR THOSE VEHICLES EXHIBITING A MODERATE TO SEVERE SURGE. THE IMPROVEMENT MAY BE NEGLIGIBLE FOR THOSE VEHICLES EXHIBITING A LIGHT SURGE.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 28 Jun 2015 at 06:20 pm.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 01:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Steve
What part of the throttle body rotates? When I cleaned it I sprayed in the hole for the IAC. If you are talking about the sleeve on the shaft of the IAC, that does rotate.
2002 PT Base with automatic and 160,000 miles.

Last edited by kshanok; 29 Jun 2015 at 01:28 pm.
Old 08 Aug 2015, 08:31 pm
Young Cruiser

I have been driving around town so I haven't had the highway surge but today I went out on the highway and brother was the surge a pain. I am considering going to the dealer for the TSB ptcruiser steve mentioned. My big problem is the $90.00 the dealer wants. If it works,wonderful. I just can't waste any more money. I wish someone could tell me they had this TSB done and it worked.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 11:27 am
Young Cruiser

I have had this stumble problem, too, for a while now. It is not as bad after the engine is fully warmed, but it is annoying. I hope a fix is found!
Old 11 Aug 2015, 04:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

While it is nice that you have cleaned your throttle body you also have a mass air flow sensor on your buggy.

It might need cleaned too. You have to be careful not to touch the wires in MAF
or you can damage it. You really must use MAF cleaner too. There are several brands I use CRC brand but only because we used CRC brand products where I worked and I figure if they were good enough for them it was probably OK for me too.

You are welcome to use what you like. I bought a can of it a few years back and have literally cleaned dozens of MAF's with it. It really doesn't take much.

When you take your intake apart enough to see the MAF you just spray the crap off the wire {even if you can not see any let it dry up a tad use a paper towel if needed and put things back together}

You will most likely be able to tell if you did it right straight away. When you put things back together make sure you have plugged the wires back into the MAF.

Within a day or so you really should know if things are back to what they should be and you can have a beer {or something} and celebrate.
JoeCruiser likes this.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 02:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Update. I went to the dealer for them to install the new computer program. $75.00 down the toilet. It did not help.