Advertisements
Help! My 01 PT keeps blowing Fuse #13

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hugh_Jorgan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2015, 04:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help! My 01 PT keeps blowing Fuse #13

I've replaced the Fuel Pump, with a tested, used one from a trusted parts yard, I've replaced the spark plugs, I've disconnected the A/C Relay, I've Disconnected the Radiator Fan. I've checked for corrosion on the internal and under hood fuse blocks (all Clean). I know there's a ton of stuff connected to Fuse #13, but I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the hell is causing it to blow. Please, Please, Please, if you've EVER experienced this issue or know of someone who has, and resolved it Please share this information with me. It's the only vehicle I have, My wife and I are both living off of Disability and we cannot afford a new car (I love my PT) and I cant keep sinking money into this for things that obviously aren't the problem. Please Help, I've searched and searched and have not come up with the right fix.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help! My 01 PT keeps blowing Fuse #13

Welcome to the forum.

Here's an answer I gave awhile back. besides the answer, it makes for good, fun reading.

BLOWING FUSE 13

...and here's one from YAHOO answers:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4211627AAtDCtV

Last edited by CREWZIN; 29 Jun 2015 at 05:32 pm.
Old 01 Jul 2015, 04:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the post, I read your previous post before. I checked all those things already, everything is OK, I've even taken out the A/C relay because I removed the A/C. Doesn't the fuse also power the Cooling fan relays? I think it does, anyway, I disconnected the fan and attached my DVM to the terminals with respect to the center contact as ground. I'm not sure which side of the motor I was checking at the time, High Speed or Low. But as I was rotating (slowly) the blades, I would read Meg-Ohm's, then it would drop to Kilo-Ohm's, when connected to the other terminal, I was reading Ohm's (single digit) to Low Kilo-Ohm's.
I know because I am an Electronics Engineer, Not a Mechanic, but this doesn't seem right at all. it looks as though I may have an Open Circuit (which would NOT blow the fuse) to possibly a Short Circuit (which would). Do you or anyone know what the Motor windings should be? I'm thinking maybe it's the fan, I took it out today, and it was running quite hot. Seemed to me that when the Fan was triggered to start, the fuse blew, this happened 3 times within 2.5 miles of home. I was able to get it back home again though. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.
Old 01 Jul 2015, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I haven't the faintest idea of the numbers on the fan motor, maybe someone can chime in. I can say that the insides of the motor has 4 brushes, 2 for each speed and what happen quite regularly is that two brushes wear out and you left with just one speed. It's possible that something inside the motor is making ground contact and causing a short but that's only a guess. Here's the inside of the motor and you can see that two of the brushes are quite shorter than the other two.

Old 02 Jul 2015, 01:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There is a number of components that can blow fuse #13.
I would suggest you check the 02 sensors. They are know to short out internally and take out the fuse. Try disconnecting the 02 sensors and see if the fuse still blows.
Old 02 Jul 2015, 11:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

OK, thanks to you both for the pictures and info. I guess I have over looked the O2 Sensors because I was told they run through the ECM. If that's truly the case, then wouldn't they have to draw in excess of 20 amps through the ECM?
Seems like if they did, the ECM would likely Burn Out.

Regardless of what I was told. I'm taking your advice and disconnecting the O2 Sensors. BTW, I replaced both O2 sensors about two maybe three years ago with Bosch O2 Sensors. Just so you know.
Old 02 Jul 2015, 07:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
There is a number of components that can blow fuse #13.
I would suggest you check the 02 sensors. They are know to short out internally and take out the fuse. Try disconnecting the 02 sensors and see if the fuse still blows.
The reason I am suggesting you disconnect the 02 sensors is sometimes the
the heater circuit can cause the fuse to blow.
Old 09 Jul 2015, 10:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Figured it out! Yeah!
I disconnected both O2 sensors, drove the car a few days, no blown fuses.
I then reconnected the Upstream O2 sensor, drove the car a few days, No blown fuses.
Just reconnected the downstream O2 sensor and I didn't get two blocks from my house.
Blew a fuse.
Changed the fuse, drove it back to my house, and as I'm trying to pull into the driveway, blew another fuse.
So now, I'll disconnect the downstream sensor (again) and get me a new one, An NTK OEM equipment.
I'll get it from RockAuto Parts Catalog
Thanks for all the help an advice, If I have any more problems, I know where to go.