Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with removing Steering wheel cover and airbag in '06 NA PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2015, 08:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help with removing Steering wheel cover and airbag in '06 NA PT

I'm trying to install a cruise control kit in my '06 NA PT.... however, for the life of me... I can't get the steering wheel cover and airbag off.... specifically, when EVERY set of directions tells me that I need to find the three access holes on the back of the steering wheel cover, and then to take a short flat-head screwdriver and press in and twist the wire holders off...

But...

There are no clips, no wires, etc to actually move ... Unless I'm missing something... But every diagram always tries to show you how to remove everything, but it clearly shows that the steering wheel is already taken off...

Some other diagrams actually say to remove the torx screws on the back of the steering wheel to remove it... but you can access these without literally taking the entire steering column apart first...

What am I missing? Where am I going wrong? Any help with this is greatly appreciated... because this car is actually really starting to grow on me.

Aside: I bought the car from my grandparents, didn't expect to keep it for more than a year, and i'm starting to REALLY love it. Which is why I'm trying to fix it up.
Old 02 Jul 2015, 01:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Help with removing Steering wheel cover and airbag in '06 NA PT

They are a pain but the clips are there. All you have to get is the two side ones. Once those are popped then you can swing the air bag down and the bottom clip will pop.

I have done it several times and its never easy. Pressing down on the air bag (honking the horn) can take a little pressure off to help unclip them but i always just brute force them. They are seriously a pain.

Look at the top picture of this site. It shows the clip.

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/3jm6...html#re.v/175/

Last edited by Ray_Dockrey; 02 Jul 2015 at 01:59 pm.
Old 02 Jul 2015, 02:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
i always just brute force them.
What do you mean by "I always just brute force them"? ... as in.... just yanking on the cover directly?
Old 02 Jul 2015, 03:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Uh, no. The metal hoops are really, really tight. You have to move them over enough to get them to unhook from the metal hook. You can push down on the airbag to relieve some tension but then you can't feel when they unhook.

So I just leave the airbag as is and twist for all its worth till they snap off.

Last edited by Ray_Dockrey; 02 Jul 2015 at 03:13 pm.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 12:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hate to revive a dead post, but was your car prewired? If so, did you already have wiring and connector for the control lever (on/off/set/res/cancel switch)?

Or did you have to wire it yourself?