PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Roaring from front

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2015, 07:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Roaring from front

I have a 07 cruiser with 189k miles. Have replaced both front wheel bearings previously, and just replaced passenger side cv axle. After a test drive, the roaring is still present. Thoughts.
Old 03 Jul 2015, 08:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Roaring from front

swerve right and left to see if it gets louder/quieter. you probably need new bearings again. i change them on a malibu every 5 months because i bought them from autozone
myckee likes this.
Old 03 Jul 2015, 09:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

If I turn right, the noise goes away. It's still there if I turn left. I just didn't think this roar sounded like a wheel bearing, but I can't rule it out.
Old 03 Jul 2015, 11:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Lot of those so called parts stores item are made in China..no quality control..
myckee likes this.

Old 03 Jul 2015, 11:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJKnight View Post
Lot of those so called parts stores item are made in China..no quality control..
Actually they all are made there now. The quality on some are very high. Nitro_PT has used a bran that has given him good service for him and his customers. But I don't recall the name right off.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Jul 2015, 11:47 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Well...this sucks! I would have thought the wheel bearing would have fixed it?? Loud dull roar increases with speed?? It was the passenger side front wheel bearing on our Tercel.

If the passenger side cv axle swap did not fix it?? Then maybe the sound is "actually" coming from the right side??

"Assuming" that is "not" the case, then the old part and the new part still have something in common?? First thought that occurs to me is maybe it's the bearing hub?? Maybe the race is worn??

Or easier still is maybe it's the wheels?? Try swapping the wheels front to back.

Couldn't hurt.
myckee likes this.
Old 03 Jul 2015, 04:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Actually they all are made there now. The quality on some are very high. Nitro_PT has used a bran that has given him good service for him and his customers. But I don't recall the name right off.
The TIMKEN bearings are made in USA. It says right on them. They are one of the best, if not the very best, bearing you can buy in my opinion.

That said, it could very well be the tires, so make sure you rule them out first. I had removed the winter tires from my 'new' car and put the summer wheels on, and the roar was unbelievable! I thought the bearings had done themselves in and even bought new ones. It turns out it was just the tires and a new set rid the car of the roar.
Old 03 Jul 2015, 11:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Roaring from front

I sometimes get a Roaring Sound from the passengers side of the car, too.
It usually happens when I drive quite fast .... it come from my wifes mouth.
3rcruiser likes this.
Old 04 Jul 2015, 11:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

NitroPT recommends SKF and Timken bearings depending on the application. These happen to be the two most expensive bearings but I prefer not to replace the bearings more often myself.

Also, is the ground wire still connected from the strut to body? The lack of a proper ground can lead to premature wheel bearing failure but I am never heard of anyone proving it. Is there any pitting on the ball bearing when you pull it out each time?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 04 Jul 2015 at 12:56 pm.
Old 05 Jul 2015, 01:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

One clarification, when I mentioned that I had changed the front bearing previously, I should have included that it was 2+ years ago. Could the wheel bearing be bad again?