01 cruser limited suspension noise

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Danny7627
  • 1 Post By bennyc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2015, 11:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Angry 01 cruser limited suspension noise

my 01 cruser has a very sever suspension noise which seems to be coming from the right front. I have replaced the entire strut assembly on both sides thenI replaced the outer tie rods.everything ok. the noise came in after replacing both control arms complete with bushings and ball joints,purchased at o'reilly's auto parts. noticed the steering wheel was even further out of alignment and noise is really bad when hitting bumps. Replaced inner tie rods,no help. However now I can't even get close to having the steering wheel centered. The noise sounds almost like a very loose strut mount but everything seems to be solid. any suggestions or help would be greatly accepted.
Old 18 Jul 2015, 11:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01 cruser limited suspension noise

Did you replace the control arms with new ones? Or did you have new bushings pressed into the original ones?

Also, it sounds like you seriously need a front end alignment. Many times I've taken cars to the alignment shop I like and had them inspect the front end up on the rack. And I tell them if they find problems, just let me know so I can fix it before the alignment. This usually cost very little if anything. And I always come back for the alignment.
Old 18 Jul 2015, 06:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

For the front end noise you may also want to check the front sway bar bushings and end links. I had a similar issue with the "clunking noise"a few years back and replaced all bushings with the energy suspension ones.. no clunking or front end noise now....

(I also replaced the bushings with the poly ones for the upper and lower control arms.)

Chrysler PT Cruiser Sway Bar Bushing - Free Shipping - Energy Susp, Moog, Mevotech

Chrysler PT Cruiser Sway Bar Link Kit - Free Shipping - Moog, Proforged Chassis Parts, Mevotech

For the alignment I would also check the outer tire rod ends and as Handy suggested bring it in to a place that does the alignments...see what they say

Good luck
Dan
RichR likes this.

2008 Convertible Turbo -lite
2007 Touring N/A Boneyard
Old 23 May 2016, 11:01 am
Young Cruiser

A bit late but figured I would post for future reference.

After replacing the front left Lower Control Arm (LCA) I had a pretty bad clunking noise going over bumps and when turning. What threw me off was there was no clunky when I removed the front sway bar . So, after pulling things apart 2-3 times, including installing new end links, I finally resolved the clunking:

1. Jacked up the car, loosened the pivot and large rear bolts.
2. Lightly tightened the pivot and rear bolts.
3. Put on the tire, install lug nuts, and lowered the car so its full weight is on the suspension - simply jacking up the control arm to simulate ride height did not work for me.
4. Finally, tighten the pivot bolt to 125 lb-ft
5. Tightened the rear bolt to 185 lb-ft torque.

I think the rear bushing in the LCA needed to be tightened down while its contorted and in its 'natural' resting state instead of being tightened down while the control arm is hanging down.

Hope this helps someone. I spent a couple of days realizing my issue.
chuzz likes this.

Stock 2002 Limited "Legacy" Edition 166k - been in the family since purchased new in 2001. Keeping the legacy alive.

Tags
suspension