Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacing Vacuum Canister Solenoid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2015, 09:09 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Replacing Vacuum Canister Solenoid

Guys, I did a search on this topic but could only find posts where someone had replaced this part, not how they replaced it. I have a 2002 Touring model, automatic, non-turbo, with 163,000 miles on it. I got the P0455 error code recently and the check engine light is on. I had replaced the original gas cap a few weeks ago, the the check engine light went out. I want to replace the vacuum canister solenoid, since it doesn't involve dropping the tank, is located up front, and I figured it was something relatively easy that I could replace before biting the bullet and taking the car into the shop for further investigation.

I had a look at the location of it while it was up on the lift for an oil change today. It looks near impossible to remove from below, unless you remove some other stuff to get at it. Looking from above, if I take out the air cleaner box, disconnect the battery and remove the screws holding the under the hood fuse box down, I may be able to reach it from above. It looks like the two vacuum hoses that attach under it have right angle ends. For anyone who has ever replaced this part, have you replaced it from above or below? I don't have a garage, so I'll be working outside either way, which kinda sucks. Would appreciate any advice from someone who has replaced this part themselves.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 25 Jul 2015, 10:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing Vacuum Canister Solenoid

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 06:23 pm.
Old 25 Jul 2015, 04:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing Vacuum Canister Solenoid

Thanks for responding. I got it done this afternoon, and it wasn't as daunting a task as I originally thought it would be. I disconnected the battery, removed air cleaner housing and the two bolts holding the fusebox in place. I undid a cable tie holding the wire bundle to the inner fender, and this gave me alot more room to access it. Luckily, it slides onto a metal bracket and you just have to hold down a plastic clip to slide it off.

Got the two vacuum hoses back on snugly, got everything back on and reconnected, started her up and "No check engine light". Of course that's because I disconnected the battery, but I'm going to take it out for a ride to make sure the light doesn't come back on.

Thanks,
Steve