PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
muffler shop replace my catalytic converter?

 
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 1 Post By bottlerocket
  • 1 Post By rob342
  • 2 Post By bottlerocket

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04 Aug 2015, 03:40 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 66
Default muffler shop replace my catalytic converter?

Took my 2007 Touring into the dealership today with the CEL on. Turns out its a bad cat. Chrysler wants $1450 for the part alone, labor is not expensive on it. Any reason not to just drop it off at one of the reputable muffler shops in town and have them swap one on it instead of using the OE part?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04 Aug 2015, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 5,011
Default Re: muffler shop replace my catalytic converter?

You can get a magna flow direct fit cat con from O'Reilly Auto parts for a touch over $300. I wonder why the dealer wants so much? If you have a buddy who can weld, I'd go aftermarket. Yegads, $1,300 for and 11" long pipe? You might just shop online at Autozone, Advance, or Rock Auto. I just looked at O'Reilly because that's where I'm shopping nowadays.
Gkon likes this.
__________________


Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04 Aug 2015, 03:52 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 66
Default Re: muffler shop replace my catalytic converter?

Local shop wants $225 to put a new one on.
Gkon likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04 Aug 2015, 03:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 5,011
Default Re: muffler shop replace my catalytic converter?

Man, if someone is willing to do it that cheap, you'd better jump all over it. Will they give you any kind of warranty with that?
__________________


Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04 Aug 2015, 03:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: darien il
Posts: 4,592
Default Re: muffler shop replace my catalytic converter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlerocket View Post
Took my 2007 Touring into the dealership today with the CEL on. Turns out its a bad cat. Chrysler wants $1450 for the part alone, labor is not expensive on it. Any reason not to just drop it off at one of the reputable muffler shops in town and have them swap one on it instead of using the OE part?
aftermarket cats can be a crapshoot. here in IL they generally are not up to snuff. somewhere that is "CARB crazy" like CA may be different. texas, i really couldn't tell you. see here: 2007 PT Cruiser Catalytic Converter Repair in Charlotte

personally i'd try using busted PT's recommended "berrymans b-12", like a full can in a half tank of gas, and then beating the piss out of the car to clean out the cat. my preferred method to clean out a car is to get it to normal temp and then floor it from 50 to 105mph 2-3x in a row or at least do a little sustained high rpm 2nd gear driving while stomping on it occasionally. only people i see with bad cats drive like mopes, it gums stuff up. obviously this is not a recommended thing to do for most people. then i'd have codes cleared and see if the problem persists. if so the o2 would be tested and replaced if necessary. for me the cat would be a last resort, and it would be from the dealer.
LionPT likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 04 Aug 2015 at 04:27 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04 Aug 2015, 04:30 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 66
Default Re: muffler shop replace my catalytic converter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Man, if someone is willing to do it that cheap, you'd better jump all over it. Will they give you any kind of warranty with that?
Not sure if there will be a warranty. But we'll be moving out of state soon so it won't matter either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
aftermarket cats can be a crapshoot. here in IL they generally are not up to snuff. somewhere that is "CARB crazy" like CA may be different. texas, i really couldn't tell you. see here: 2007 PT Cruiser Catalytic Converter Repair in Charlotte

personally i'd try using busted PT's recommended "berrymans b-12", like a full can in a half tank of gas, and then beating the piss out of the car to clean out the cat. my preferred method to clean out a car is to get it to normal temp and then floor it from 50 to 105mph 2-3x in a row or at least do a little sustained high rpm 2nd gear driving while stomping on it occasionally. only people i see with bad cats drive like mopes, it gums stuff up. obviously this is not a recommended thing to do for most people. then i'd have codes cleared and see if the problem persists. if so the o2 would be tested and replaced if necessary. for me the cat would be a last resort, and it would be from the dealer.
I'll give that a shot to see if it helps out before dumping money into a new cat.
rob342 and Gkon like this.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Catalytic Converter - can I do myself? ceil99 Tech & Performance Forum 9 31 Jul 2015 04:51 pm
Catalytic Converter Replacement? dom92 General PT Cruiser Discussions 2 04 Mar 2015 07:15 pm
catalytic converter TheAstronomer Tech & Performance Forum 14 29 Jul 2013 08:10 pm
o2 sensor on the catalytic converter mitjmac Tech & Performance Forum 4 12 Jun 2009 06:46 pm
Catalytic Converter CHROMEDCRUISER Tech & Performance Forum 2 13 Feb 2005 08:00 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors