Advertisements
The "Handy" Multifunction Switch Install

Like Tree15Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2015, 05:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default The "Handy" Multifunction Switch Install

This is a very quick procedure that just about anyone can do at home if you are the least bit handy. So I want to post a How-To with lots of photos.

To start, I bought my replacement multifunction switch at Advance Autoparts. By purchasing it online and using a 30% discount code, I got it for about $42 with tax. And since my local Advance store stocks this part, I was able to just down and pick it up without waiting for shipping. This multifunction switch is Carquest Part Number S14401 for my 2005 PT Cruiser GT. This should fit all 1st Gen PT Cruisers with factory fog lights from 2001 thru 2005. There are other good brands to pick from as well such as Dorman, Standard Ignition and Airtex/Wells.

Failure of the multifunction switch is very common in 1st Gen PT's. The common symptom is that the fog lights will be on even when the lights are off. Often a PT owner will come out to find that his or her PT will not start because the battery is down due the fog lights being on. I noticed my fog lights on when I came out of a restaurant. Normally, the fog lights cannot be on if the headlights are off.

To do this job, I used the following five tools:

* T10 Torx driver
* T15 Torx driver
* Phillips head screwdriver
* 10mm end wrench
* Trim try tool

First, remove the positive battery cable using the 10mm end wrench.

Next, take the Phillips screwdriver and remove the screw from the right and left bottom of the steering column as shown.

There are plastic clips holding the back of the steering column cover together. Reach behind the top piece with a finger and pull out while pressing in and down with another finger or thumb. This will release the clip. Do the same on both sides.

Here is what the clips looks like. They can be easily broken so be gentle.

Now remove the top piece of the steering column cover by raising up on the front and pulling it out. It helps to have the steering column in the down position.

Next, pull the red tab on the back of the plug on the right back side of the switch. Then press down on the plug release and pull the plug loose. You may use the trim pry tool for this. I didn't have to on this PT.

It was helpful to pull the little black plug loose in order to get my big fingers around the switch plug. The little black plug just pulls off.

Now remove the two retaining screws on the top of the switch with a T15 Torx driver.

Cock the switch up from the left side until the windshield wiper plug is exposed on the right. This makes it easy to get to that plug. Just pull the red tab, press down on the plug release and pull. You can also just take out the two T10 Torx screws on the right front of the wiper switch, slide it off the multifunction switch and leave it plugged in. But I wanted to take the wiper switch off so I could clean it. So I left it on the multifunction switch for now.

And here's the new switch on top of the box. It's time to change out a couple of parts.

Use a T10 Torx driver to remove the two screws on the right front of the multifunction switch.

Now the wiper switch will just slide off to the right. Note that the multifunction switch only holds the wiper switch in place. There are no electrical nor mechanical connections between them other than these two Torx screws.

Next, remove the blinker element from the back of the old multifunction switch. I chose to wait to install this on the new multifunction switch after the new switch is on the column. That gives me more room to plug the wiper switch back in.

And here's the new multifunction switch ready to go back in my PT.

Plug both plugs back in and secure the new switch to the column with the two T15 Torx retaining screws. Then reinstall the blinker element.

MORE IN NEXT POST BELOW

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 Aug 2015 at 06:12 pm.
Old 08 Aug 2015, 05:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: The "Handy" Multifunction Switch Install

At this point, it's time for a function check. First make sure the fog light fuze (second down on the far right) is in place and is good.

After the fuze is in place, reattached the positive battery cable.

Then make sure the lights work on high and low, the fog lights turn on and off as they should, the blinkers and emergency flashers work, the dash lights work and dim and brighten correctly, and make sure the front and rear window washers work.

If all is good and functioning correctly, then reinstall the steering column cover. The back clips will just snap together and then install the two Phillips screws.

And that's it. The only thing left is a good wash and hand rub down for your PT. That's what I did. Why?

Because my PT deserves it.

myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 Aug 2015 at 06:14 pm.
Old 08 Aug 2015, 06:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks, Handy! I'm looking to do this pretty soon, as my switch is bad.

I just bought the car, so have not had fog lights at all (the switch was bad when I bought it).

I was thinking of installing LED fog light bulbs. Do you have any opinions on that?
Old 08 Aug 2015, 06:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I used these for my headlights. The same 9006 will fit the fog lights on the 1st Gen PT's. They are much brighter and whiter than the original bulbs. And when I change my fog light bulbs, this is likely what I will use. You can get them by the pair on eBay for under $40.

buddyiramae and Gkon like this.
Old 08 Aug 2015, 06:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Nice job Handy!
Old 09 Aug 2015, 10:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Awesome job! Now I have to get mine done!
Old 10 Aug 2015, 07:07 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
This is a very quick procedure that just about anyone can do at home if you are the least bit handy. So I want to post a How-To with lots of photos.

To start, I bought my replacement multifunction switch at Advance Autoparts. By purchasing it online and using a 30% discount code, I got it for about $42 with tax. And since my local Advance store stocks this part, I was able to just down and pick it up without waiting for shipping. This multifunction switch is Carquest Part Number S14401 for my 2005 PT Cruiser GT. This should fit all 1st Gen PT Cruisers with factory fog lights from 2001 thru 2005. There are other good brands to pick from as well such as Dorman, Standard Ignition and Airtex/Wells.

Failure of the multifunction switch is very common in 1st Gen PT's. The common symptom is that the fog lights will be on even when the lights are off. Often a PT owner will come out to find that his or her PT will not start because the battery is down due the fog lights being on. I noticed my fog lights on when I came out of a restaurant. Normally, the fog lights cannot be on if the headlights are off.

To do this job, I used the following five tools:

* T10 Torx driver
* T15 Torx driver
* Phillips head screwdriver
* 10mm end wrench
* Trim try tool

First, remove the positive battery cable using the 10mm end wrench.

Next, take the Phillips screwdriver and remove the screw from the right and left bottom of the steering column as shown.

There are plastic clips holding the back of the steering column cover together. Reach behind the top piece with a finger and pull out while pressing in and down with another finger or thumb. This will release the clip. Do the same on both sides.

Here is what the clips looks like. They can be easily broken so be gentle.

Now remove the top piece of the steering column cover by raising up on the front and pulling it out. It helps to have the steering column in the down position.

Next, pull the red tab on the back of the plug on the right back side of the switch. Then press down on the plug release and pull the plug loose. You may use the trim pry tool for this. I didn't have to on this PT.

It was helpful to pull the little black plug loose in order to get my big fingers around the switch plug. The little black plug just pulls off.

Now remove the two retaining screws on the top of the switch with a T15 Torx driver.

Cock the switch up from the left side until the windshield wiper plug is exposed on the right. This makes it easy to get to that plug. Just pull the red tab, press down on the plug release and pull. You can also just take out the two T10 Torx screws on the right front of the wiper switch, slide it off the multifunction switch and leave it plugged in. But I wanted to take the wiper switch off so I could clean it. So I left it on the multifunction switch for now.

And here's the new switch on top of the box. It's time to change out a couple of parts.

Use a T10 Torx driver to remove the two screws on the right front of the multifunction switch.

Now the wiper switch will just slide off to the right. Note that the multifunction switch only holds the wiper switch in place. There are no electrical nor mechanical connections between them other than these two Torx screws.

Next, remove the blinker element from the back of the old multifunction switch. I chose to wait to install this on the new multifunction switch after the new switch is on the column. That gives me more room to plug the wiper switch back in.

And here's the new multifunction switch ready to go back in my PT.

Plug both plugs back in and secure the new switch to the column with the two T15 Torx retaining screws. Then reinstall the blinker element.

MORE IN NEXT POST BELOW

Hi. Thanx for the detailed & informative thread. I noticed, in picture #3, that there is a retainer on top of the battery that accepts the hold-down rod. Any idea where I might obtain one? Thanx in advance. Mike.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 08:03 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mictat2214 View Post
Hi. Thanx for the detailed & informative thread. I noticed, in picture #3, that there is a retainer on top of the battery that accepts the hold-down rod. Any idea where I might obtain one? Thanx in advance. Mike.
Do you have a Gen1 or Gen2? The battery hold downs are different.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 08:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mictat2214 View Post
The turbo PT's use a different battery hold-down than the NA cars. I'm not sure why. Maybe Mr. Chrysler decided that the turbo PT's would be going around corners so fast that the battery would fly out if just held in place with a plastic wedge like on the NA PT's. So instead they put that wonky bar over it.

It may be possible to install this type of battery hold-down in a NA PT, but I believe you would need not just the bar and top piece, but also the battery tray and support bracket from out of a turbo PT. I believe the turbo battery support bracket is shorter than in a NA, but I haven't measured them. The support is fastened to the left side of the chassis with four 15mm bolts, if I remember right. I changed the one out in my 2001 Limited because it was corroded due to battery acid.

Here's a comparison of the NA and turbo brackets. I should likely post this in the "Secrets of the PT" thread.

PS: My PT is a 2005 1st Gen. But these same hold-downs are also in the 2nd Gen PT's that I've seen.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 10 Aug 2015 at 08:46 am.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 12:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Nice to see that support bracket. I definitely need something for mine.
THe battery is just held in with the plastic clamp at the bottom of the battery tray. I can't move up and down, but it does move side to side.

I notice that you remove the positive cable to do the work. Is there a reason for that, as opposed to the negative cable? I typically remove the negative when I do any kind of work.