PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Questions on Dual Exhaust for the PT Cruiser GT

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2015, 08:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Lightbulb Questions on Dual Exhaust for the PT Cruiser GT

The other day a light went off in my head. This happens sometimes but usually only after I bang my head into something.

Anyway, I thought that instead of buying a dual exhaust kit for my PT, I could just go to local muffle shop and have them build it. That's actually much cheaper than any of the kits available online. Yes, it will be made of standard steal exhaust pipe and the bends will not be made with mandrels.

However, I would like tips on how the exhaust should be made, given that a regular muffler shop will be making it using standard universal stuff that is welded together. What size pipe is best if there are regular bends, what type muffler or mufflers to use and any other helpful advice. I want a good sporty sound but nothing very loud. You input, whether informed or not, is welcome.
buddyiramae and Gkon like this.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 10:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Questions on Dual Exhaust for the PT Cruiser GT

You could buy three 90 mandrel pre bent elbows to have the exhaust shop assemble with some straight pipes, to get you the shape of the factory piping up to the axle, but with whatever size of pipe you want. If you don't exceed 2.5" it might be cheaper to buy the mandrel tubing kit fir $120 plus shipping. (+$75 for 3", and/or +$75 for stainless) That would give you front to back mandrel piping including over the axel perfect for a performance single exhaust. Then the shop could tie in to that to make dual with a couple more mandrel elbows. Then choose your own muffs.

01-10 Chrysler PT Cruiser Exhaust Tubing System - Mandrel Exhaust Systems

Buying this would take out the labour of having the shop to do it and the price seems low enough that I am not sure a shop could beat it given the almost $100/hr rates that shops around here charge.

Last edited by myckee; 18 Aug 2015 at 10:05 am.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 10:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Dual exhaust does not work well and will in many cases actually slow the exhaust velocity and lower total engine performance on a PT Cruiser street driven with a semi stock engine.

The simple thing to do is let your exhaust muffler shop do the best they can with what they have..
*I recommend to at least stay with as much straight 2 1/2 I.D. pipe as possible. A mis-conception that mandrel bend solves exhaust flow is somewhat accurate but every bend slow exhaust down and allows it to cool. If you do need 45 or greater bends and want to keep some level of exhaust rated performance then use 3" I.D pipes for the bends and expand the connecting 2 1/2 pipes. This gets to be more expensive and most muffler shops that don't build performance exhaust will think you are nuts.

Basically most dual exhaust even on a factory system having a 4 cylinder are for looks.

On a PT Cruiser for a CAT back system the ultimate system for the street/strip is a wrapped 2 1/2 I.D. straight pipes with as short a system as your eye's can handle looking at it or within the legal requirements of your state and also the STATE or Federal Park regulations. And to use a muffler that is manufactured rated at minimum 350+ cfm and meets an exceptable sound level which is legal does not set off car alarms when you roll through a parking lot and does not resonate inside at freeway speeds.

Removing the CAT really gains so little in performance , makes more engine exhaust noise and pollutes the air we all share and breath. The exception is if you frequently track or race a vehicle.

Exhaust CUT-Outs are great novelty on a street car abut have consistently shown on Chassis Dynos that unless you exceeds normal engine speeds or close to the red line the increase in HP/TQ gained is minimum and lower engine power is decreased.

The key to a power producing full exhaust system is to find ways to maintain the exhaust temperature measure at the exhaust port as long as possible.

There is some facts to be read that a *well planed out custom exhaust system can be built that will help to slightly increase the MPG which would be beneficial with a PT cruiser.

This is all mostly common sense but empirical information can be found to all this on the internet.

Also the conversation about "DUAL EXHAUST" on PT Cruiser's is and old subject well worn on most all PT Cruiser forums. Just use the search feature and find lots of old information over the last 10+ years. LOL

FORUM SEARCH FEATURE is a members good friend.
Tucker05 likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 18 Aug 2015 at 10:37 am.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 10:48 am
Senior Cruiser

I agree with the looks being the only reason to go with duals. I also agree that having too big of an exhaust can hurt the low end performance.

If my new car didn't already have a 3" exhaust on it, I would be going with the 2.5". And if I didn't already find my borla dual exhaust at the yard, I would be leaving it single. But I love the looks so I will be removing the 3" from the down pipe and grafting the 2.5 borla system to it. Then I will transfer the 3" to the other car whose exhaust is toast.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 11:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^^^^

I can always count on "Old SCHOOL GEAR HEADS" like myself to agree on exhaust stuff.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Aug 2015, 11:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep.

Looks are the key here.

So the plan here is to have fun and end up with something cool looking that doesn't subtract from existing performance. I don't want another science project. My PT is already blindingly fast with the NOPI strut bars and all.
NitroPT and buddyiramae like this.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 12:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Yep.

Looks are the key here.

So the plan here is to have fun and end up with something cool looking that doesn't subtract from existing performance. I don't want another science project. My PT is already blindingly fast with the NOPI strut bars and all.
I understand that fear has some individuals closing their eyes.

In the beginning my PT Cruiser adventures... Failed performance but the looks were "KOOL"!

This was assembled and welded from leftover exhaust pipe I found on the did of our house that was being pilled up to get hauled off to the recycler. So don't laugh it cost nothing to to do except my labor.

I measure the exhaust temperature on the right passenger tail pipe and it was almost 75% less then the drivers side. I believe I posted about this exhaust a few years ago on this forum?

This is one UGLEEEE daul exhaust viewing form underneath the PT.lol

This is what the current exhaust system looks like and sounds like. BTW that is a real CHERRI BOMB glass pack!

I have also done several Chassis Dyno pulls for tuning purposes and this exhaust help to yield apox. 7HP gain.

Now for what it has this may be considered a "blindingly quick" PT Cruiser! Also IMHO sounds pleasant.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 18 Aug 2015 at 02:12 pm. Reason: http you tube issues fixed
Old 18 Aug 2015, 02:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Now for what it has this may be considered a "blindingly quick" PT Cruiser! Also IMHO sounds pleasant.
sounds amazing LOL
NitroPT and LionPT like this.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 03:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Rob you are good for at least one solid laugh a day....
That one has been around a while but I still like watching it!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Aug 2015, 03:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The other day a light went off in my head. This happens sometimes but usually only after I bang my head into something.

Anyway, I thought that instead of buying a dual exhaust kit for my PT, I could just go to local muffle shop and have them build it. That's actually much cheaper than any of the kits available online. Yes, it will be made of standard steal exhaust pipe and the bends will not be made with mandrels.

However, I would like tips on how the exhaust should be made, given that a regular muffler shop will be making it using standard universal stuff that is welded together. What size pipe is best if there are regular bends, what type muffler or mufflers to use and any other helpful advice. I want a good sporty sound but nothing very loud. You input, whether informed or not, is welcome.
I found a good user SRT-4 complete exhaust system on Craigslist, and had my local shop put it on. Sounded great, and I think I had around $150 total in it. The only downside was that I lost my spare tire, the SRT exhaust took up the area the spare was in.

2001 PT Cruiser - NA - 5 Speed - Exhaust and CAI Mods - It's alive!!!

Tags
dual, exhaust, pt crusier, turbo