PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Possible bad bearings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2015, 09:36 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Possible bad bearings?

2004 PT Cruiser Gt 5-speed 90k miles

I started my car up one morning to have it start shaking at idle. Its worst around 1500 rpm but clears up a little above that. Not throwing any codes. Motor sounds normal, no knocking or pinging just shaking. Replaced all my mounts as they were slightly torn. Checked my timing gears and they line up, pulled the valve cover and cams are still lined up correctly. Timing belt was done at approx. 60k miles and looks fine, no visible wear or missing teeth. Replaced my plugs, dirty from octane booster , swapped my coil to my original one to see if maybe my new one failed and no change. Compression is a solid 150 psi on all cylinders.

I drained my oil last night and noticed the glittery effect in it. Too little light to see if it appeared to be coppery but regardless glittery oil is no good.

Would worn/failing bearings cause a rough idle and shake throughout the rpm band? From my understanding when your bearings go out or are going out there's usually the telltale knocking associated with it. Is it possible some bearings are about to fail to where they aren't knocking but will shake the motor?

Unsure as to what my fuel pressure is since my stupid fuel rail doesn't have a Schrader valve. Checked my injectors, 2 were at 13 ohms, 2 were at 12.8 ohms. Unsure if they were clogged but they appear to be working fine, clicking and everything. Fuel pump fires right up and sounds healthy but sounds aren't going to tell me if the regulator is failing.

Afr sits at 15.1 at idle, use to be 14.7. Kind of all over the board with it too. Would clogged o2 sensors cause this? I have no cat and 2-step a lot, turns out I also shoot flames

Another fought I had is that my diablo tuner somehow fried my ecu or pcm or whatever as I had adjusted my tune just prior to starting my car up before it ran terrible.

Thought maybe the metal could be from turbo bearings, unsure if this is a possibility. No shaft play at all in turbo though.

Any thoughts or ideas as what my problem could be or anymore tests I could do to diagnose my problem? I'm at a loss right now and will probably end up throwing money at the car to replace parts until it works.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 03:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Possible bad bearings?

Would worn/failing bearings cause a rough idle and shake throughout the rpm band? From my understanding when your bearings go out or are going out there's usually the telltale knocking associated with it. Is it possible some bearings are about to fail to where they aren't knocking but will shake the motor?

No, bearings won't cause shake. AFR is high. I'd look at something that controls fuel at idle, ... Map sensor hose "split"
Small air leak
If it has backfired, a hose could be blown off or split

Most probably a sensor if no codes are showing up. IMO

Metal in the oil is not normal. Sparkles in the oil are if it is run hard and spark knocks. That makes the Pistons "shutter in the cylinders" and can shave off small particles of aluminum from the Pistons.
... Kind of why high performance engines usually have a shorter life !
Old 18 Aug 2015, 04:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

I guess the shavings are probably from me beating the piss out of it at the track for a weekend. Its my first time changing oil since then.

Swapped out my camshaft position sensor, in the process of doing my crankshaft position sensor and o2 sensors. What other ones do you think could cause issues? I'm also looking over all my vacuum lines since I have the top half of the motor torn off.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 05:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Look at the color of the glitter.

Then take a magnet to them to determine aluminum or iron content.

You can at least get a better idea what and where they came from.

Most all partials should have been filter out. But if they sank to the bottom of the sump instead of being held in suspension by the detergents in the oil and filtered it would account for seeing them by draining the oil.

An audio scope or home made tool to listen for things may be an idea.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 18 Aug 2015 at 05:14 pm.