Mopar ATF+4 Trany Fluid?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2015, 05:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Mopar ATF+4 Trany Fluid?

Ok now I'm confused. I've had allot of different comments on this question, and since I want to do this on Friday, need to ask again. Car has 61K miles and this will be the last time I change the transmission fluid. Is there really any harm in using another brand synthetic ATF+4 then Mopar. Is there really any harm in just doing a 'change w/filter' instead of a 'flush w/filter'? It seems to me that the car now has Mopar ATF in it, so if I just do a change w/filter, and put back in Mopar ATF at least I've got the same fluid.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 05:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mopar ATF+4 Trany Fluid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
Ok now I'm confused. I've had allot of different comments on this question, and since I want to do this on Friday, need to ask again. Car has 61K miles and this will be the last time I change the transmission fluid. Is there really any harm in using another brand synthetic ATF+4 then Mopar. Is there really any harm in just doing a 'change w/filter' instead of a 'flush w/filter'? It seems to me that the car now has Mopar ATF in it, so if I just do a change w/filter, and put back in Mopar ATF at least I've got the same fluid.
You you will be good to go no mater what brand you use or method. As long as atf-4
Gkon likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Aug 2015, 07:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Is there really any harm in using another brand synthetic ATF+4 then Mopar?
Here's a list of licensed ATF+4 Brands. These all meet the Chrysler specs.

Licensed ATF+4 Brands | Chrysler

Quote:
Is there really any harm in just doing a 'change w/filter' instead of a 'flush w/filter'?
No. There's no harm. You will not be changing but about half the fluid, but that's okay. The problem with having a shop do the flush is what they do the flushes with. It's not ATF+4 in many cases. Where I live, they use a universal fluid and then put in an additive. That's not approved by Chrysler and there have been many problems with Chrysler transmissions after this. Many say this is okay. I would not do it.

If you want to do a flush yourself, here's how I did mine. I figure I got about 80% this way. But remember, if you just change your fluid one more time after this time, you will end up with a 75% change. And it's safer than my method.

The Handy Transmission Filter Change and Do It Yourself Flush

Quote:
It seems to me that the car now has Mopar ATF in it, so if I just do a change w/filter, and put back in Mopar ATF at least I've got the same fluid.
You cannot go wrong with the Mopar fluid. But the others at the link I provided should be compatible.
myckee and Gkon like this.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 08:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Licensed only means that the have paid a license fee to Chrysler. So use what you like with the ATF-4 on it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Aug 2015, 07:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I use Mopar fluid exclusively in my transmissions. Call me paranoid but I don't trust other brands for something that's so complex to me. I got into an argument with a "tech" at a transmission shop back in TN a few years ago when I took my 94 New Yorker to get the CVI's checked. He said he'd do a fluid and filter change for $39.95 if I wanted him too. When I asked if he had Mopar ATF+4 in stock, he told me, "No, we use Dexron with an additive." I told him he was destroying every Mopar transmission he was doing that too and he got pissed off at me. I didn't care. Got my CVI's, all were in parameter, went home and changed the fluid and filter myself. Sold the car for a $1,000 profit.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.