PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
help!!! 2003 pt odometer went out

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2015, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default help!!! 2003 pt odometer went out

Ok, so here's what happened. The odometer went out a while ago. Finally got around to it today. Can't figure out why? Also the auto stick light is out, so I'm leaning towards a fuse. Any information about this would be great.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 12:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: help!!! 2003 pt odometer went out

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout View Post
Ok, so here's what happened. The odometer went out a while ago. Finally got around to it today. Can't figure out why? Also the auto stick light is out, so I'm leaning towards a fuse. Any information about this would be great.
Is the led display out too. Or just the lighting when headlights are on?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Aug 2015, 12:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Everything else works, the odometer is out, and the gear selector is out. And the auto stick in the console is out.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No led lights where the odometer is completely blank.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Do you think I need a new cluster?
Old 31 Aug 2015, 01:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

MIne have started flashing/blinking when not in Park. It started after I cut the passengers side seat support and dash support out. I think I have a ground issue on the gear selector, but who knows. There are two grounds on the metal dash support behind the defrost/Trac Off/etc switches, Maybe start there and check the conections at the gear selector and the plugs on the cluster.
Busted_PT likes this.

Competition's paying the price.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.72at 116mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
08 CSRT4. Realtune MS1K v1 pcm stg0 NSRT4 Injectors.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 02:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you slpneon I just bought a 02 neon r/t, and a dodge stealth. Can I do anything to the neon r/t to get more power heard from a few people that I can't because it is a high compression motor. Thanks for the pt gt info.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 03:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout View Post
Thank you slpneon I just bought a 02 neon r/t, and a dodge stealth. Can I do anything to the neon r/t to get more power heard from a few people that I can't because it is a high compression motor. Thanks for the pt gt info.
You can do lots to the 02 R/T. THe very first mod should be a Syked ECU. You can get them directly through Kevin (the owner/tuner), or through another distributor, not sure if they are a supporting vendor here, so I won't mention them. The Compresion isn't any more than the regular 2.0. The people might be confusing the High Output badging on the injector cover. I got better throttle response when I ported the intake manifold, Just do not remove the baffles as the pcm opens and closes those at a pre-programmed RPM. The biggest thing in the 2gn Neon was they were heavier, so any extra weight you can safely do without; pitch it. The cam in the 02 is a similar grind to the Crane #10, some say the 01 R/T cam was better, but I never compared the two. The R/t also came with a short tube header from the factory which is fine for pretty much everyone, especially with the beefier 2gn. Going with w longtube that is just generic will move the power higher in the rpm range, or may hurt the whole set up across the rpm range. Most attribute noise to power gained so you will "hear" all kinds of suggestions. When it comes down to it, if you want a big boost in power, hit it with a small shot of Nitrous. For some reason, the SOHC 2.0 Loves Nitrous (providing you have all the failsafe's in place and a bottle blowdown tube). Your Clutch will be fine with a 50 shot and street tires.
Fk5 likes this.

Competition's paying the price.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.72at 116mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
08 CSRT4. Realtune MS1K v1 pcm stg0 NSRT4 Injectors.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 10:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would check the ground wires G200 & G203 behind the instrument Cluster as shown on figure 31 on 8W-91-40 in the shop manual. Was there any recent work done underneath or behind the cluster lately? Is there anything else not working?
Old 27 Apr 2016, 08:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Today I experienced the same lack of odometer in my other 03 GT. All gauges work and all lights too, but only the odometer and cruise lights (no autostick display since its a manual). I don't know what caused the display to go out. It was working when I put the car in storage last December. Today when I went to pick up the car, there was no odometer. Of course I checked all fuses under the dash as well as under the hood; but none were blown.

Luckily I had a spare cluster to swap in to try. The replacement worked normally and the odometer worked. I put the old one back in and the display remained black. I swapped them in and out a few times to see if perhaps it was a bad connection or something, but the original stayed black and the replacement worked.

Anyway, in my instance, a replacement cluster solved the problem.