Advertisements
high idle

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JRH01cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Sep 2015, 09:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default high idle

Hello my name is John ( newbie )I inherited a one owner 2001 PT Cruiser non-turbo from the in laws recent timing belt and water pump replacement, thermostat replacement, I do have a question though, the air conditioning is blowing warm now when very recently was working fine, and when I firstly turn on the blower I hear a strange sound from the engine area. I don't mind yet because the summer is winding down but what I am wondering about is I had the classic idle trouble that would bounce up and down ( engine RPM ) BUT first upon cold start the idle would climb high to around 2800 or a bit lower and then the idle would not hold steady ( idle jump ), I had cleaned the IAC device very well, took the negative battery cable off then put back on to reset the PCM, and now all I have is the constant high idle, my guess is the TPS device or maybe that IAC device is non functioning all together? I APPRECIATE this forum especially crewzin
Old 01 Sep 2015, 10:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: high idle

try removing the IAC again, gently pull the pintle valve inside forward a bit so you are sure it's closed when you reinstall it. when you reinstall it, leave the connector off and start the car. see where the idle is then.
-if it's still high it's likely a vacuum leak or the TB sticking partially open.
-if the idle is low and stays low, you need to find out why it the IAC is opening too much(as opposed to wasting money on a new one).

note: this will throw a code that you'll need to clear either with a scanner or by disconnecting the battery and stepping on the brake for a few seconds.

you can test the TPS with a multimeter. they hardly ever go bad though.
more on that here. Revving a little too high & not dropping quickly note the 0.6v is approximate as the computer tares it out like a digital scale

if you think it's a vacuum leak, be sure to check the steel EGR tube (and its O-ring) that bolts to the back of the intake. it's easy to miss if you're looking for a rubber hose leaking

Last edited by rob342; 01 Sep 2015 at 11:08 pm.
Old 01 Sep 2015, 11:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: high idle

Thank you rob342 I will proceed with those steps and then post my reply, have a great evening.
rob342 likes this.