PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Are PT Cruisers normally loud while accelerating and decelerating?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By LionPT
  • 1 Post By Ris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Sep 2015, 07:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Are PT Cruisers normally loud while accelerating and decelerating?

Hello guys! First time poster! I've been lurking around for an answer, and you all seem nice enough for me to go ahead and ask my noob question.

I just recently got a Touring 2008 Automatic PT Cruiser!! Non-turbo 2.4L. I fell in love with it at first drive. However, I've never test driven or been in a PT Cruiser before this one. So my question is are Cruisers normally loud when accelerating and decelerating? For example, I hear my transmission shift beautifully, but after 20mph, I hear this noise that sounds louder than normal to me? My significant other thinks it's fine and normal. But to be honest, it almost sounds like I have something like overdrive on in the background. (but I don't have that) After it picks up speed to 20mph+, I start hearing that hum like it does sound normal, but just pretty loud. It goes with my speed as well and decreases when it decelerates too. I don't think it's a wheel bearing it's almost more vacuum like sounding. It's really hard to explain over text, I even tried to take video of the noise, but it didn't really pick up the noise so I sound crazy. So are PT Cruisers normally pretty loud when accelerating? I mean not to the point where you can't hear the radio, but just in general louder than typical. My normal ride is a 1997 Mustang I'm keeping alive like Frankenstein, so any noise I'm not used to, I get little worried. If it is normal, than I'm fine with that!

Things I've done to make sure it's not a different problem:
I've put it into neutral and still hear the noise while cursing on neutral at about 40mph, I've checked fluids and trans is a perfect color/level, everything sounds great shifting, turning on, and so forth! Only about 65k miles. Only had 1 elderly owner and kept it super nice looking (mmm new car smell included), oil change and tuned on time and such. Just not sure if the noise is normal for these vehicles or maybe I should get it further looked into.
Old 04 Sep 2015, 08:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Are PT Cruisers normally loud while accelerating and decelerating?

Without a recording, it's going to be very difficult for us to make sure we know what sound you are talking about.

What I have found with the two PT's I've owned (2001 Limited and 2005 GT) is that the engine is somewhat louder when accelerating. But that's definitely an engine sound. And it was heightened in both cars when a cold air intake was added. The original air filter boxes contain baffles that seem to be designed to quiet this engine sound.

If the noise is other than an easily identifiable engine sound, then no. You are hearing something else like a moan, that may be an issue.

Heres a video of what my PT sounded like while 99% stock after adding a Stage 1 PCM. These are just half-throttle accelerations to help train the transmission. This is pretty well the characteristic acceleration sound of a PT, though it's a little deeper sounding with the turbo engine.

rockandroller likes this.
Old 04 Sep 2015, 09:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

You can't judge by someones video what a PT cruiser sounds like. I have a few myself and mine is modified and IMO sounds quieter then the video from the previous member stock PT video. But that is just opinion and perception from poor sound quality video.

My advise is to find a dealership or used car dealer that has a PT similar to what you have and take it for a test drive. Then you will get a better idea what a PT should sound like.

Here are mine just for laughs.
custom CAT with a glass pack.

This is what a PT full throttle short pass. Lots of CAI noise not exhaust.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 04 Sep 2015 at 09:52 pm.
Old 04 Sep 2015, 09:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ris View Post
Hello guys! First time poster! I've been lurking around for an answer, and you all seem nice enough for me to go ahead and ask my noob question.

I just recently got a Touring 2008 Automatic PT Cruiser!! Non-turbo 2.4L. I fell in love with it at first drive. However, I've never test driven or been in a PT Cruiser before this one. So my question is are Cruisers normally loud when accelerating and decelerating? For example, I hear my transmission shift beautifully, but after 20mph, I hear this noise that sounds louder than normal to me? My significant other thinks it's fine and normal. But to be honest, it almost sounds like I have something like overdrive on in the background. (but I don't have that) After it picks up speed to 20mph+, I start hearing that hum like it does sound normal, but just pretty loud. It goes with my speed as well and decreases when it decelerates too. I don't think it's a wheel bearing it's almost more vacuum like sounding. It's really hard to explain over text, I even tried to take video of the noise, but it didn't really pick up the noise so I sound crazy. So are PT Cruisers normally pretty loud when accelerating? I mean not to the point where you can't hear the radio, but just in general louder than typical. My normal ride is a 1997 Mustang I'm keeping alive like Frankenstein, so any noise I'm not used to, I get little worried. If it is normal, than I'm fine with that!

Things I've done to make sure it's not a different problem:
I've put it into neutral and still hear the noise while cursing on neutral at about 40mph, I've checked fluids and trans is a perfect color/level, everything sounds great shifting, turning on, and so forth! Only about 65k miles. Only had 1 elderly owner and kept it super nice looking (mmm new car smell included), oil change and tuned on time and such. Just not sure if the noise is normal for these vehicles or maybe I should get it further looked into.

The G2's 2006-2010 Auto's sound like a stickshift when you drive down the road...if that's what your talking about. I don't know about the G1's 2000-2005 cause I've never drove one.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 05 Sep 2015, 06:55 am
Veteran Cruiser

Perhaps there's a busted clip on the air box and you're hearing the variance of the air intake on the engine? IDK, I'm not a mechanic, just speculating.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 06 Sep 2015, 07:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you guys for your responses! I guess more info would be the noise I'm hearing that's louder than normal to me isn't the gear changes itself; it's the back ground noise to it while accelerating. Also mainly on drivers side. Stick my head over to the passenger side, and I don't hear it nearly as loud. I hear it about 20-40mph predominantly, it's just a constant woooo-like noise while usually gaining speed. When decelerating, I hear it as well but decreasing of course. My first thought was wheel bearing, but now I'm not thinking that's what it is. Maybe it's something I got to get used to and is a normal sound. Maybe more air intake that I'm used to hearing?

And yea, I'm thinking test driving another Cruiser similar to mine (nothing is modified anyway) might me the best bet to see if it's a normal sound.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Tags
2008 pt cruiser, accelerating, decelerating, humming, noise