PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
First time I've driven an AT PT, is this normal? (downshift lag at a near stop)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2015, 11:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default First time I've driven an AT PT, is this normal? (downshift lag/bump at a near stop)

New owner of an automatic PT (2001 limited).
In my other thread you'll see that I had an O2 sensor code that I traced to a pin at the PCM or PCM issue.

Car drives great! Accelerate from a stop, no problems. Decelerate to a stop, no problem.

However sometimes when I'm slowing down/braking to a near stop but then give it a little gas (like turning into my driveway and then needing to get up the hill of the driveway) the trans lags in the downshift then does with a clunk. Well not a real clunk but a seat of the pants jolt. Not severe.

Is this a 'Trans learning' issue from having the battery disconnected for a long time figuring out the O2 issue? Or is this a 'get your TCM flashed/updated' problem. Something else?

Where do I even start diagnosing this?

Edit: some background on the car, from the Carfax report this car has been dealer serviced from new until about 2 years ago. Trans fluid looks like it came out of a bottle - clean clean clean, no burnt smell. 59K original miles so I'm thinking this isn't a 'the trans is going out' problem.

TIA
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods - replaced
2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 103K miles.

Last edited by Probedude; 05 Sep 2015 at 11:42 pm.