Advertisements
Oil Leak

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LionPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Sep 2015, 12:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Oil Leak

My 03 GT 5 speed has an oil leak. We bought the car with the engine disassembled as the previous owner let it overheat and warped the head. We got it back together, installed new timing belt, water pump, etc. It leaked then from the front area. I replaced the oil filter adapter seal but it still leaks. So I bit the bullet and replaced the crankshaft seal-still leaking. There was damage to the crankshaft where a pipe wrench had been used to turn the crank, but none where the seal rubs. I used a NAPA seal. Where else might it be leaking? Should a different brand seal be used? Really appreciate help is resolving this issue. I will be taking it apart for the 3rd time today. UGH
Ike
Old 23 Sep 2015, 12:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Leak

First step is to determine where it is leaking from.
Find a place that can put UV dye in the oil and has a blacklight so oil leak will glow under UV light.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Sep 2015, 12:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
First step is to determine where it is leaking from.
Find a place that can put UV dye in the oil and has a blacklight so oil leak will glow under UV light.
Good advice.

However, if you are sure it is coming from around the crankshaft seal, then yes, try another brand seal. This has worked for me in the past when there was wear on the crank from the previous seal and it took a couple tries with different seals to find one that fit just a bit differently to stop the leak.
Old 23 Sep 2015, 01:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have seen a few cranks with a 100 k with out ware. Haven't tried different seal brands. But the oil pump is in this area to. Also you have to seal the camshaft main cap along the outer edges or it will leak. Certain valve cover leaks can run down the front of the engine and look like that to.
Pipe wrench! This or is ant from Arkansas is it ? lol just kidding.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Sep 2015, 03:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Check where the dipstick tube goes into the engine.
Busted_PT likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 23 Sep 2015, 03:41 pm
Young Cruiser

This morning I began the process of getting to the timing belt. There is oil on the CV axle and aft of the crankshaft pulley. It appears the timing belt is make an odd noise I suspect due to my not getting the gear far enough back on the shaft. I wonder if pulling the belt and inner cover will show leakage.
Old 23 Sep 2015, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the belt is tracking oil you should see that with the top cove off. But if to see oil in the cover and not the belt up there. Try to see where it is coming from

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Sep 2015, 09:06 pm
Young Cruiser

I pulled the top cover and did not see oil on the timing belt. I moved the bottom cover out of the way. From what I could see the timing belt was riding about 1/8th inch off of the camshaft sprockets toward the front. I drove the crankshaft gear in and the belt seems to be tracking OK now. It appears that the leak may not be from the shaft seal. I recently changed the oil and filter, but it doesn't appear to be leaking from the filter. I am thinking the best candidate now is the transmission seal. I ran the engine yesterday from about 30 minutes up on jacks. After it had been shut down for 45 minutes or so there appeared drops. I was thinking that with the axel not turning it wouldn't show a leak, but I'm wondering that with the gears that turn in neutral it would cause it.
Old 04 Oct 2015, 09:43 pm
Young Cruiser

I added dye and used a black light to see if I could find the leak. There is oil dripping from the back of the engine above the oil filter, but I can't find where it is coming from. It is getting worse, I can actually see it dripping from the bottom of the belt cover after driving it a few miles. I tightened the bolts on the pan and valve cover, no change. Any thoughts?

Tags
crankshaft, filter, leak, oil, seal