Computer problems

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2015, 11:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Computer problems

Hello, seeking help with computer. I have a 2002 pt crusier it has been garaged for 6 months and un plugged from the battery. It has 30,000 miles on it. The problem is according the smog people is that the computer is off so it will not pass smog. He tells me that all I have to do is to run the car and the computer will come back on. Any suggestions. Computer says: Emission Control---Not ready OBD11. OBD11 MONITORS NOT READY! Can anyone help.
hbranha@cox.net
Old 30 Sep 2015, 12:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Computer problems

The readiness area is in the test mode. Drive you PT for about 30-50 miles continuous and if all the systems are ok the readiness will be in OK for emission testing.

The wording you and the Tech used is just a bit weird. LOL

You live in California as I do this thread may help clarify some things for you?

California SMOG Testing the NITRO way

WELCOME TO THE FORUM
podo2000 likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 30 Sep 2015, 04:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbranha View Post
Hello, seeking help with computer. I have a 2002 pt crusier it has been garaged for 6 months and un plugged from the battery. It has 30,000 miles on it. The problem is according the smog people is that the computer is off so it will not pass smog. He tells me that all I have to do is to run the car and the computer will come back on. Any suggestions. Computer says: Emission Control---Not ready OBD11. OBD11 MONITORS NOT READY! Can anyone help.
hbranha@cox.net

I just went through this. You can't just drive at one speed. This link was very helpful for me. I was able to get everything but one test in under an hour, went off to get my test and passed.

http://img.neons.org/archives/chrysler_drive_cycle.pdf

In my case the only condition that was not ready was the Evaporative Systems test (needs to sit overnight and my gas tank was too full) however this is the one test you are allowed to have not ready and you can still smog and pass - I did!

Note that Calif passed a bill that for 2000 and newer vehicles if your PCM/OBD2 port says everything is okay, you pass without needing to get the tailpipe sniffed or run on a dyno.
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family

Last edited by Probedude; 30 Sep 2015 at 06:10 pm. Reason: fixed wrong year.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In California the counties all have different variation on what or what is NOT acceptable. In my county you can not have any values out of spec.

Unless people are well versed on all the regulations pertaining to a standard California emission test and a SMOG enhanced county emission testing please be careful when advising other that live in California about emission requirements.

The regulation bill also includes the readiness area which will be in fault with any out of spec emission control. And in a smog enhance area you can still be required to verify emission at the tail pipe or the Emission licensed shop can fail the test at their discretion and you will be sent to a CALIFORNIA Smog inspection station for emission testing and emission equipment inspection.

BTW read the responses over, no one said to drive at one speed!

My California emission licence was up for renewal but as I don't do smog inspections anymore it seemed a waste of money.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 30 Sep 2015 at 05:29 pm.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 05:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The regulation bill also includes the readiness area which will be in fault with any out of spec emission control. And in a smog enhance area you can still be required to verify emission at the tail pipe or the Emission licensed shop can fail the test at their discretion and you will be sent to a CALIFORNIA Smog inspection station for emission testing and emission equipment inspection.
Interesting. Ventura is an enhanced testing area, requires dyno testing, yet with the new AB2289 bill no tailpipe sniffing for 2000 and newer vehicles and also per my station's tester allowed the evaporative system readiness to be incomplete. Mine didn't complete for another 4 days as I needed to drive down the tank.

I would recheck your county's requirements (which is it and I'll check for you).

To the OP, check with your test station and see what is allowed to be incomplete. I did and was happy he was correct.

Quote:
BTW read the responses over, no one said to drive at one speed!
Quote:
Drive you PT for about 30-50 miles continuous and if all the systems are ok the readiness will be in OK for emission testing.
Nobody said not to. Nobody also said to vary the speed and duration per the Chrysler drive cycle testing I posted. Following that procedure will produce faster results.

edit: http://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/BAR-OIS.pdf
See page 8
Quote:
OBD Readiness Monitor Changes
To be implemented 5/1/2015 on both BAR-97 and BAROIS
Gasoline powered:
One incomplete monitor allowed for 1996 to 1999
Only the evaporative monitor allowed incomplete for 2000
and newer
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

Last edited by Probedude; 30 Sep 2015 at 06:08 pm.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 06:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Varying the speed will not really increase or decrease the results it is not how the PCM is designed to do. It actually needs to go through complete cycles to better qualify the reset of the PCM. However at times a simple drive will reset them. But generally on most ECU/PCM OBDII vehicles it takes about 30-50 miles.

I don't need to check the regulation on the California ARB board regulation. And you simply got a lack tester. They are a bit more complex then your simple explanation.

The end responsibility of the California Trained and certified licensed emission Technician is to report by way of failing any vehicle suspected of not having clean emission as per the standards for that vehicle being tested. Any independent shop may fail anyone they believed may be out of the clean are compliance. NO shop is under obligation to pass a vehicle that meets the testing program and such failures reported are not held against the shops by the State of California ARB. In fact their is an expected number of failures that all shops do on a regular basis to protect their emission licence. Shops are also routinely checked for compliance and integrity with no warning to the owner or Technician testing vehicle logged onto the ARB for emission testing.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 30 Sep 2015 at 09:50 pm.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 09:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Any one can interpret things on the internet but few are willing to contact the source and find the real information and then post it up.

California Environmental Protection Agency Air Resources Board
Air Resources Board - Homepage

I am done with this thread as all the important information to help the OP has already been suggested.

Any further responses simply constitutes a pissing contest between a couple of members.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 30 Sep 2015 at 09:51 pm.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 09:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Oh goodie another internet wizard!

I don't need to check the regulation on the California ARB board regulation. And you simply got a lack tester. They are a bit more complex then your simple explanation.

I would love the name of the test station you went to! Care to post it up. i would love to call them and chat with what you said.
Quoting your entire post for posterity.

Doesn't matter what you think you know, you're wrong here. (you did say you got out of doing smog testing)

If you insist on harassment, here you go.
Ventura Valero
11005 Citrus Dr
Ventura, CA 93004
Star test only station, TC248151

Why you won't seek out the truth from the source is disturbing.
Contact Us

Quote:
Any one can interpret things on the internet but few are willing to contact the source and find the real information and then post it up.
Ironic, and apology accepted.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Q&As_...tml#Question56

To the OP, sorry for you to witness this. If you're hesistant, go in after a week of using your car. If you want to get it tested quicker, following the drive cycle linked in my first post will get you there more assuredly.

Last edited by Probedude; 30 Sep 2015 at 10:05 pm.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 09:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There was NO apology really dude you are to funny... .........

California Environmental Protection Agency Air Resources Board
Air Resources Board - Homepage

I am done with this thread as all the important information to help the OP has already been suggested.

Any further responses simply constitutes a pissing contest between a couple of members.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 30 Sep 2015 at 09:54 pm.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 09:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I would like to thank everyone for your help!!! I will run this weekend
Sincerely, Henry
Closed Thread