PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT suddenly over heating while stopped or in very slow moving traffic.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2015, 12:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT suddenly over heating while stopped or in very slow moving traffic.

So today, I was taking a trip from Pennsylvania to Virginia... I've never driven this car that far... But I'm sure it's been in long trips like this before...

Anyways, I realized while in some stop and go traffic that the temp gauge was nearly red lining... In two instances it actually has the temp warning light come on.

A few things I've noticed:
1. If I'm driving at a steady pace, the car stays at around normal temp.
2. If I'm stopped, then the temp quickly (30secs to 2mins) climbs from normal to overheating.
3. I checked to see if the radiator fan stopped working, but I could feel the air being blown through the engine compartment when I had the hood open...so it does still work.
4. I know that I'm about due for an oil change...But could that really cause the car to overheat so wildly?
5. The check engine light came on while driving at a steady pace, but the engine wasn't overheating yet...
6. I haven't checked the OBD codes as I don't have a scanner, but I'll be trying the trick with the ignition key to see if I can get them to pull up.

I'm still in Virginia for the weekend...and really want to figure this out before getting stuck in bumper to bumper stand still traffic in D.C..

Any help or guidance is appreciated.
Old 17 Oct 2015, 01:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT suddenly over heating while stopped or in very slow moving traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottee View Post
So today, I was taking a trip from Pennsylvania to Virginia... I've never driven this car that far... But I'm sure it's been in long trips like this before...

Anyways, I realized while in some stop and go traffic that the temp gauge was nearly red lining... In two instances it actually has the temp warning light come on.

A few things I've noticed:
1. If I'm driving at a steady pace, the car stays at around normal temp.
2. If I'm stopped, then the temp quickly (30secs to 2mins) climbs from normal to overheating.
3. I checked to see if the radiator fan stopped working, but I could feel the air being blown through the engine compartment when I had the hood open...so it does still work.
4. I know that I'm about due for an oil change...But could that really cause the car to overheat so wildly?
5. The check engine light came on while driving at a steady pace, but the engine wasn't overheating yet...
6. I haven't checked the OBD codes as I don't have a scanner, but I'll be trying the trick with the ignition key to see if I can get them to pull up.

I'm still in Virginia for the weekend...and really want to figure this out before getting stuck in bumper to bumper stand still traffic in D.C..

Any help or guidance is appreciated.
Whats the mileage of your 2006 PT?
NA or TURBO?

You seem to be pushing your luck, overheating will cause failure of the head gasket and down time along with major repair cost if you cannot do the work your self.

You could check the radiator coolant level after the engine cools and the coolant level in the over flow bottle attached to the center firewall.

When the cooling fan brushes wear out the cooling fan may intermittently run when your checking it, and not run at times when its needed. If your near 100,000 fan is in need of change if it has not been changed before.

Have you had to add any fluid to the coolant, how much?
If your near 100,000 have you had the timing belt- water pump changed?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 17 Oct 2015, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT suddenly over heating while stopped or in very slow moving traffic.

I am suggesting you might be getting air in the coolant system,the coolant system is not completely sealed or the engine coolant system doesn't have the proper flow or your radiator fan is coming on intermittently.

I would check the hose between the radiator cap and the overflow tank. Make sure there is no leaks or cracks in the hose. If it is leaking it will allow air to get into the coolant system.

Check your radiator cap. If the radiator cap is not working properly at the correct pressure your engine coolant temperature will rise.

Do a coolant pressure test. Make sure you don't have any leaks.

If everything suggested checks out good including the suggestions on the previous posts with the radiator fan I would check the thermostat. Your thermostat might be not opening all the way to get the proper engine coolant flow.

If your diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) turn out to be P0480 or P0481 you need to check your radiator fan circuit and radiator fan as JoeX posted. Let us know what DTC's you get.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 17 Oct 2015 at 09:41 am.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 08:04 am
Regular Cruiser

Unhappy Re: 2006 PT suddenly over heating while stopped or in very slow moving traffic.

How often is it that the water neck (for lack of a better term) will get a fissure/crack in it un-detectible to the naked eye and then allow for air to get sucked in to this closed system?
My 2006 with around 115k started this; there is NO evidence of a bad head gasket. NEW fan/relays replaced about 1000 miles ago; did not yet replace the water pump/timing belt mechanism; tension er etc....
Runs fine up to the 1/2 mark then SOMETIMES goes to the red where the icon pops up on the dash; immediately put heater on full and fan; running down the road can eliminate this QUICKLY
The heat coming out of the vents is NO WHERE NEAR what the temp Gage might have U believe. THAT should be 'nuclear hot' if it is as it indicates
Get the gurgling in the coolant bottle (well under the hood) also if I use the release valve on the rad cap (new) a lot of steam; more gurgling then the temp will run normal for almost 100 or so miles. Thermostat is new as well...Overflow bottle crack or overflow hose has not been ruled out.
added a bottle of the mechanic-in-a-can water temp 'reducer' made by about a 1/2 doz mfrs...
HELP
Joe
Old 15 Nov 2015, 08:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

First check the fan itself, start car & turn on A/C...fan should come on.
Turn off A/C & let car warm up to just above the 1/2 make & fan should come on again.

Post your results.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 15 Nov 2015, 12:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctobyjoe View Post
How often is it that the water neck (for lack of a better term) will get a fissure/crack in it un-detectible to the naked eye and then allow for air to get sucked in to this closed system?
My 2006 with around 115k started this; there is NO evidence of a bad head gasket. NEW fan/relays replaced about 1000 miles ago; did not yet replace the water pump/timing belt mechanism; tension er etc....
Runs fine up to the 1/2 mark then SOMETIMES goes to the red where the icon pops up on the dash; immediately put heater on full and fan; running down the road can eliminate this QUICKLY
The heat coming out of the vents is NO WHERE NEAR what the temp Gage might have U believe. THAT should be 'nuclear hot' if it is as it indicates
Get the gurgling in the coolant bottle (well under the hood) also if I use the release valve on the rad cap (new) a lot of steam; more gurgling then the temp will run normal for almost 100 or so miles. Thermostat is new as well...Overflow bottle crack or overflow hose has not been ruled out.
added a bottle of the mechanic-in-a-can water temp 'reducer' made by about a 1/2 doz mfrs...
HELP
Joe
This indicates a possibility of air getting into the engine coolant system.

If the overflow hose and overflow bottle checks out good I would suggest you do a coolant compression test. Make sure your coolant system is completely sealed.

If the coolant compression test is good I would suggest you get a block test done. You might be on the beginning stages of a blown head gasket. Many members have replaced other components to compensate for the beginning stages of a blown head gasket including a new radiator until it became a full blown head gasket. Your mileage indicates this is also a good possibility.

I would suggest that if the block test does tell you that you have a blown head gasket to replace the timing belt with the water pump when you replace the head gasket. And if you do the timing belt replacement to replace the center motor mount.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 Nov 2015 at 12:31 pm.