PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Codes P0300 and P0522

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Oct 2015, 08:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Codes P0300 and P0522

Greetings!

Let me first assure everyone that I have perused these Forums and have not found any answers to this specific problem.

My ex-wife was in possession of my 2008 PT Cruiser Touring Edition until she bought a different vehicle. My head gasket blew on my Subaru, and she no longer needs the PT Cruiser, so she is kindly giving it back to me.

In any event, it has been sitting for approximately seven months and had the battery removed because her ex-boyfriend needed a battery for his vehicle and the PT battery was suitable.

After purchasing and installing a new battery, the car cranks but will very rarely turn over. When it does turn over (after spraying with starter fluid) it only runs for ten or fewer seconds. It is giving two codes:

P 0300: Random Cylinder Misfire
P 0522: Oil Pressure Sensor

I vaguely recall getting a P 0522 code a year ago that eventually went away. I understand that the P 0300 is indicative of a problem with the entire engine, (since there are no specific cylinder misfires) and could be any of these:

*Bad Gas
*Spark Plugs
*Bad Fuel Injector or Clog
*Bad Fuel Pump
*Bad Fuel Filter
*Bad Spark Plug Wires
*Timing Belt (Highly Unlikely, Was Replaced a Year Ago)
*Camshaft Position Sensor
*Crankshaft Position Sensor

I tried a couple bottles of gas dry with built in fuel injector cleaner, but that was ineffective. I suppose it would have to run for a period of time for that to actually do anything, anyway. It is also possible, but unknown, if a small quantity of water got in the gas tank.

Anyway, I would certainly rather not dump a ton of money replacing unnecessary parts, and if the fuel pump is the problem, then I'll just save up and get something else. This thing is a PoS anyway constantly needing wheel bearings replaced.

I'm just wondering what order you guys think I should do things in? I'm probably going to try to siphon and replace the gas next, I'm siphoning because I have no plans to drop the gas tank.

I'm also curious as to whether the P 0300 and P 0522 codes could be related? I imagine that a faulty oil pressure sensor would not cause multiple cylinders to also misfire, unless I am mistaken. I did check the oil and the oil level is well past the minimum mark and does not even appear to be dirty. My ex-wife actually had an oil change just before she stopped driving it.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Last edited by Pavlov146; 20 Oct 2015 at 09:25 pm.
Old 20 Oct 2015, 08:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Codes P0300 and P0522

I would suggest first checking your fuel pressure. You should be getting 57+/- 5 PSI.

You need to check and see if your oil pressure sensor is leaking oil. Its a common problem.

How do you know there is water in the gas tank?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 20 Oct 2015 at 08:50 pm.
Old 20 Oct 2015, 09:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the advice, I'll check that fuel pressure either Friday or Sunday and report back. Those are the next times I'll be at the car. I have the good fortune to only need a car on occasion, and I also don't have the means to get to her house every day...so I'm not in a terrible hurry.

I might even rent a car as opposed to buying a different one if this doesn't work. I only need a car every other weekend, or so, and they are like $25/day to rent.

The oil pressure sensor did not appear to be leaking oil, already checked that. Would that also potentially cause the P 0300 code?

The tank and the gas cap were open, at one point, with water being sprayed in the General direction of the tank, my daughter did that while my ex-wife was mowing grass a few months back. It's unknown how much, if any, water actually made it in there.

Thank you for your response and any further help!
Old 20 Oct 2015, 09:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest fixing the P0522 code at the same time. Check the wiring gong to it and check the contacts at the oil pressure sensor.

Are you blowing white smoke when it starts to run?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 20 Oct 2015 at 09:49 pm.
Old 20 Oct 2015, 09:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Will do and will report back Friday or Sunday, thanks!
Old 20 Oct 2015, 09:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I apologize, I missed the last question. There is no white smoke when it starts to run and no smell of antifreeze, so I don't believe it has a cracked head gasket.
Old 20 Oct 2015, 10:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov146 View Post
I apologize, I missed the last question. There is no white smoke when it starts to run and no smell of antifreeze, so I don't believe it has a cracked head gasket.
Checking to see if water from the gas tank was getting into the cylinders making steam come out of the tail pipe.
Old 20 Oct 2015, 10:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

You can disconnect the fuel line going to the injectors and sample the gas by turning the ignition on several times to activate the fuel pump. Use a clear plastic wide opening (clean and dry) bottle for the sample. Let it set and you will see if there is water in the gas. Careful, don't brake the plastic gas line connector.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh