PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stumbles out of 2nd when stopping

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Nov 2015, 04:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Stumbles out of 2nd when stopping

Noticed a new problem with my 2008 2.4L. When I come to a complete stop, there is a couple moments of what feels like a holding and then releasing as it comes out of second gear. Doesn't feel right. Not sure if it's related, but it seems like the engine is idling at higher RPM than normal. When it's in drive it idles at 1200 and when it's in park it goes up to around 2300. Didn't notice this before either, wonder if it's due to the colder weather? Is that normal for idle RPM?

No codes.

Recently took head off for valve work, not sure if anything I did could be related.

Thanks.

Last edited by MarriedToIt; 22 Nov 2015 at 04:45 pm.
Old 22 Nov 2015, 05:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stumbles out of 2nd when stopping

Lots of information using the search feature about A604/41TE transmissions on this forums.

If you have not changed your fluid and serviced the the filter and have over 80K the Transmission control pressure switch assembly may be in need of replacing.

Best advise before your problem gets worse and will cost more go to a specialized Transmission service shop and have checked out.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Nov 2015, 05:28 pm
Young Cruiser

Okay, so those idle numbers sound normal? Went from park to drive kind of hard, which made me think the idle was too fast.

I was worried about changing the transmission fluid since it has 106,000 miles and I don't think has ever been done before. I know on older transmissions it's better not to change if it's never been changed before. This hasn't been my car forever (I married into it, hence the name).
Old 22 Nov 2015, 05:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarriedToIt View Post
Noticed a new problem with my 2008 2.4L. When I come to a complete stop, there is a couple moments of what feels like a holding and then releasing as it comes out of second gear. Doesn't feel right. Not sure if it's related, but it seems like the engine is idling at higher RPM than normal. When it's in drive it idles at 1200 and when it's in park it goes up to around 2300.
Quote:
Okay, so those idle numbers sound normal? Went from park to drive kind of hard, which made me think the idle was too fast.

I was worried about changing the transmission fluid since it has 106,000 miles and I don't think has ever been done before. I know on older transmissions it's better not to change if it's never been changed before. This hasn't been my car forever (I married into it, hence the name).

No, idle is high. But you can't adjust it, it's handled by the computer.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 22 Nov 2015, 05:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Okay, so those idle numbers sound normal?

I was worried about changing the transmission fluid since it has 106,000 miles and I don't think has ever been done before. I know on older transmissions it's better not to change if it's never been changed before.

The idle is not correct. I was responding to your transmission issue which is more the immediate concern IMHO?

NOT Changing the ATF because of age or millage sounds like more internet found fact and not reality of empirical information. LOL

Change the fluid and filter!

The only automatic transmission that it is NOT recommend to do any service fluid changing is those that claim to be lifetime fluid by the manufacture. *see BMW. Those transmissions can actually be damage by changing the fluid.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Nov 2015, 05:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Bill wouldn't it be better for him to look for a vacuum leak before PCM adjusting? He mentioned a head change or removal, so lots of things got touched,bumped,broken,not reconnected forgotten...etc.!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Nov 2015, 05:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Bill wouldn't it be better for him to look for a vacuum leak before PCM adjusting? He mentioned a head change or removal, so lots of things got touched,bumped,broken,not reconnected forgotten...etc.!

I didn't tell him to adjust the PCM, I said the idle was too high & that the computer controlled it. I didn't tell him to fix anything, I was waiting to see what other info he would post.
NitroPT likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 22 Nov 2015, 06:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
I didn't tell him to adjust the PCM, I said the idle was too high & that the computer controlled it. I didn't tell him to fix anything, I was waiting to see what other info he would post.
I didn't tell him to adjust the PCM either, I said the idle was too high. I was also waiting to see what other info he would post.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Nov 2015, 06:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

On the rpm issue I would suggest checking your vacuum hoses are not leaking. Some of these vacuum hoses are hidden and you need to check all the vacuum hoses especially the PCV hose to the throttle body.

Also suggest checking the two cables that run across the top of the engine. One is the throttle, the other is the cruise control. Check for free movement of the wheels that control those cables. Check for binding of the cables or any place the cables might be rubbing.

Make sure you plugged the IAC and TPS back in and the connectors are properly seated. They're hard to see and easy to overlook.

Your intake manifold might be leaking if your intake manifold gaskets are not sealing properly. Some members have had the intake manifold gasket not sealing after removing it to do a valve job.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 22 Nov 2015 at 06:31 pm.
Old 22 Nov 2015, 07:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Yep, PCV valve. I think I inadvertently bumped it earlier today while lifting the air cleaner for an unrelated issue and the nipple broke right off. Replaced valve and old hardened hose and it runs like a charm. Downshifting is smooth now too.

Thanks for all replies. Learn something new every day with this car.
Probedude likes this.