Advertisements
Ready to shoot it-CRANKS BUT WON'T START

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Antiquerod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2015, 08:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Ready to shoot it-CRANKS BUT WON'T START

I'm at wits end. 2003 2.4 non turbo. Sitting about 3 months after a fan wiring fire. Only damaged fan wiring connecter and wires to fog lamps. Minimal and wires repaired. No Codes after key dance. Has spark, fuel under pressure at the fuel rail. Timing belt in good shape. Fuses good, changed ASD relay. Upon initial crank acts like want s to start then nothing. Let sit for a few minutes again same attempts to start then nothing just cranks with no attempt to start. I always thought if you have spark and fuel it should run. Any suggestions where to go next?
Old 03 Dec 2015, 08:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Ready to shoot it-CRANKS BUT WON'T START

You also have to have compression and air. Try removing the air intake hose and shooting about a 2 second shot of starting fluid in it. See if it starts and runs then. If so, then you need to do some more research. If not, take a look at the wiring to the crank position sensor and the cam position sensor. Try that and get back to us. You state you have fuel and spark, but that won't make it start if it's missing a signal.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 03 Dec 2015, 08:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Tried Starting fluid no change at all. I did replace the cam sensor it was the easiest and first thought since that is where the heat was from the wire fire.
Old 03 Dec 2015, 08:46 am
Veteran Cruiser

instigator here! if you decide to shoot it, i will reimburse you $10 towards the ammunition via paypal upon you posting a picture.

i would verify spark from each plug, do a compression test, and verify that the injectors are pulsing as they should.
Old 03 Dec 2015, 08:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquerod View Post
Tried Starting fluid no change at all. I did replace the cam sensor it was the easiest and first thought since that is where the heat was from the wire fire.

What about the sensor plug, was that damaged...was it replaced.
By chance did you also remove the coil plug..?? Users in the past have gotten the coil & cam sensor plug mixed up when plugging them back in.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 03 Dec 2015, 11:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to wait on wasting the ammo. Tomorrow I am going to verify the fuel pump pressure and borrowing a noid to check the injectors. The sensor plug actually was not damaged. It was the connector for the electric fan.
I did read in the forum you could have spark on some and not other cylinders so one more check to make.
I'll give an update after I complete the next round of troubleshooting.
Old 03 Dec 2015, 11:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest if you have good engine timing and fuel pressure to remove the camshaft sensor wire and try starting it with the camshaft sensor wire disconnected. The fire from the fan connector might have effected the camshaft wiring. Do not keep cranking it if it does not start right away after removing the camshaft sensor connector. The Chrysler sensors run on hall effect sensors. If the engine timing is good the PT Cruiser will start with cam sensor connector disconnected. You might have a short in the camshaft wiring going to the PCM, the PCM might have an internal short causing the camshaft sensor not to work properly, or something is effecting the camshaft signal.

I would also check any wiring in the area where the fire from the radiator fan wiring can reach or overheat.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 03 Dec 2015 at 11:49 am.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Ready to shoot it-CRANKS BUT WON'T START

Thanks for all the advice. After several more attempts to start, it finally fired up.The issue seemed to be old gas. Learned it had been sitting for about 6 months after the wiring fire. When it started it smoked white smoke like a steam locomotive but cleared up after about 10 minutes of running and has run like a top every since. A great supporting site here for Cruiser owners.
rckstein likes this.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 01:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquerod View Post
Thanks for all the advice. After several more attempts to start, it finally fired up.The issue seemed to be old gas. Learned it had been sitting for about 6 months after the wiring fire. When it started it smoked white smoke like a steam locomotive but cleared up after about 10 minutes of running and has run like a top every since. A great supporting site here for Cruiser owners.
On a previous post you mentioned:

Tried Starting fluid no change at all.

I would think if it was old gas the starting fluid would have started the engine. I would double check any wiring and contacts that is involved with the engine timing while the engine is running to make this problem doesn't come back. It's easier to trouble shoot when its running.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 11:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Congratulations. Now go drive it like you stole it for a couple of days.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.