Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission fluid leak (small drips)

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2015, 12:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Question Transmission fluid leak (small drips)

SO, a year or so ago I took it in for routine transmission flush (it was due).
Tranny shop doesn't like gaskets, they say silicon does a better job. Unfortunately - they had a BAD BATCH OF SILICON, and by the time I got home ( 100 miles north) fluid was pouring out. Took it to local shop, where they replaced with standard pan gasket instead. (The original shop paid for that job - they said they had half a dozen such failures that week).

Anyway, its been perfectly sealed the past year, until a few days ago I noticed some very small puddles of ATF on the garage floor. Took it in to a different local shop, explained the situation and history, and they made a new "silicon" gasket... they advised that they needed the car all day so that the silicon could cure properly before they close it up. Fine.

Problem is, the next day, there is a new small puddle of absolutely fresh clean ATF under the car. Called them up, dropped it off. Walked half an hour to my office. (Should have worn skates, sidewalks were like a rink...)

Can it be leaking from somewhere else? Other than the pan gasket??
Old 04 Dec 2015, 12:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission fluid leak (small drips)

There are a few () I have with your response regarding the work done.
BUUUUUT, to answer your question YES.

Here is what you might want to do. The transmission is easy to see and touch.although ramps would help, spray the pan and side cover with simple green and rinse well. After about an hour take rags and wipe any remaining water and then look to see that you have a clean pan and side cover.

Now go drive for a while or your normal daily driving trip. At the end of the day if the transmission is leaking you will see from where.

Call me if we need to talk about this a little more. You have my number! I am just sitting here drinking my coffee and thinking about going out in the cold. Mind you only thinking about it. lol
rockandroller likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 04 Dec 2015, 01:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Are you sure it's coming from the transmission...?? You've had it fixed 3 times now.
Is it possible it's coming from the steering rack...it uses ATF also.

EDIT: It could also come from the tranny dipstick, I'm not sure if the PT uses a o-ring there or not.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 04 Dec 2015 at 01:38 pm.
Old 04 Dec 2015, 03:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had a leak that looked like was coming from the pan but turned out to be the solenoid on the front of the transmission leaking down onto the pan. Check toward the front of the transmission from underneath to see if it is leaking down from above.
Old 04 Dec 2015, 04:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

Solenoid pack for sure went through what you are giong through and then see that the gasket on the solenoid was leaking
Changed gasket all is fine (it looked like pan was leaking)
Old 04 Dec 2015, 11:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

I used that sealer I belive its called RTV to be used instead of a pan gasket. Also if you use the RTV the pan and flange has to be free of trans fluid, I left my PT on ramps for days and finaley it looked dry after wipeing it down clean applyed the RTV, next day saw leaking. After some research decided to try the fel-pro brand gasket, anyway it worked great no leaks. Aso it was a real pain to seperate the pan with the RTV SILACONE and then scrape it off the flange. anyway get a good quality gasket like fel-pro and torque to specs, Also get a trans pan with a drain plug ,ROCK AUTO has them you will be glad you did.
Old 04 Dec 2015, 11:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks again! Well, I passed on all the tips to my tech, but in the end they just changed to a gasket, and they are convinced they have the tranny sealed now. They test drove it quite a bit, so probably it's gonna be OK. No charge for the second fix (obviously) - and I did get a little exercise (plus skipped lunch!) out of the deal

Here's hoping tomorrow morning's check of the garage floor will be "all clear"!
Probedude likes this.
Old 08 Dec 2015, 12:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

NO LUCK! Again, small drips of fresh clean ATF on the garage floor. (in the same place)

Back in the shop this morning. This time they guaranteed that they will check the solenoid for leaks.

The senior guy said he thought it might also be leaking from "the front seal"... which would not be fixable without pulling the transmission out.
Is there a front seal? I thought there were only the two transaxle seals...
Old 08 Dec 2015, 04:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Of course there's a front seal. It fits in the bell housing behind the torque converter. That's what keeps it from leaking all of the fluid out and onto your garage floor.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 08 Dec 2015, 05:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, indeed, I see that now (finally poked around in the manual).

Met with the mechanic ten minutes ago, he explained that it's almost certainly the torque converter 'pump seal' - due to the location of the drip. They are 100% sure the pan is sealed now, and if it was a solenoid gasket (or even a leaking solenoid) then the leak would be coming more from the other end. He actually had mentioned his suspicion of that on the very first visit when I came in complaining of transmission leak, but as the pan gasket was obviously bulging out, that's what they changed first.

He recommends changing out the solenoid unit while they are at it. The transmission has never had the slightest issue the two years I have been driving it, but he says their transmission shop routinely changes out the whole solenoid whenever there is a "solenoid gasket issue". I told him I was a bit nervous about swapping out something that "ain't actually broken" but he assures me that its not going to be a "white box" part, but something good for the long run.

I asked them to have a close look at the transmission mount when they have the tranny out (Seeing as it's the only engine mount left that has never been changed, to my knowledge) and change it if they think advisable.

So - booked the surgery for next Tuesday/Wednesday. Looking forward to a clean garage floor after that. Just showing a couple of drops a day there, but that adds up over the years! And I figure it's going to be at least another 10-15 years before the conversion to Electric (or will it be Hydrogen?)
Probedude likes this.