PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Broke timing belt? 03 PT Touring ed with 2.4

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2015, 12:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Broke timing belt? 03 PT Touring ed with 2.4

So I got this car used a month ago and it was running like a champ, no issues at all. Yesterday while sitting at a light the thing just died. It will turn over but not start. I had it towed home and today tried some starting fluid to no avail. Then I checked for spark and had no spark. I took the camshaft sensor off and had my son crank it and I couldn't see any movement. I'm fairly certain this means the belt is broke but my question is would it have done any internal damage? I was sitting idle and I heard no noise. Just all of the sudden it shut off and all the lights were on. I got no check engine light before shut down either. I did check codes today and got a p0522 then done. That is oil pressure sensor low voltage but i have read that trying to start too many times without firing will cause that code.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 12:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Broke timing belt? 03 PT Touring ed with 2.4

The engine is suppose to be non interference. In my opinion only driving at high speeds you might possibly have the valves hitting each other with the camshafts floating free but its rare.

How many miles does the PT Cruiser have on it. Has any work been done on the engine?

I would suggest you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your PT Cruiser and if possible some pictures of it.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 12:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I got the car used last month for 2,000. It has 110k miles. Not sure about engine work. It seems to have been taken care off and ran extremely well except for some issues with the front right strut while turning at low speed. I got a set of quick struts that I was going to replace this weekend untill this happened. Not sure what route to take. If it is going ro cost more than 500 to fix the belt i am pretty much out of luck at the moment.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 01:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

First quote is just under 1300 to include ac recovery and recharge as well as water pump and tensioner
Old 12 Dec 2015, 01:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcul1972 View Post
First quote is just under 1300 to include ac recovery and recharge as well as water pump and tensioner
That's about the going rate. Was it from a dealership or other independent shop?

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 12 Dec 2015, 02:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

From a little rinky dink car lot. As is.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 02:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

if you plan on keeping the car, don't let anyone change that timing belt unless they've done it before. Too many times owners have come to us after a belt change where it ran rough after the change and that's a sure sign of something wrong. Rckstein said it right that $1200 is about the going rate at a dealership for all the parts needed plus labor. Since their hourly rate is usually above most independent shops, you could save yourself a few hundred shopping around but if your limit if $500 and you can't do the work yourself, your out of luck.
Probedude and rckstein like this.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^^^ +1 on what "CREWZIN" said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcul1972 View Post
From a little rinky dink car lot. As is.
If you can't do it yourself, I would certainly seek out a shop that you could trust that will stand behind their work. The timing belt replacement is an 8 hour job and there have been plenty of experienced mechanics that have made minor mistakes and had to tear back into it to correct the issues.
Probedude likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 12 Dec 2015, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, It's a company I trust. They did all of the work for the HVAC service vehicles at my former place of work. He told me they just did one on an 03 cruiser 2 weeks ago. The price was like $1260 and that included a tow from my house to there. Just trying to decide if I want to sink the money into it or not and even then i would have to get help from family. I was just looking for a second beater vehicle to get me back and forth to my new job since I changed careers. I have had a company supplied truck or van for the past 20 years and my wife drives the family vehicle to her work. I really like the car and it drove awesome up until yesterday. No warning at all it just up and stopped working. Probably my fault for not researching the timing belt issue sooner.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 04:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
That's about the going rate. Was it from a dealership or other independent shop?
I misread your post. I though you were asking if i bought it from a dealership or individual. The quote is from a locally owned Davis Car Care franchise. they do great work and stand behind their work. He said they would need to car 3 days to get it all done and make sure it was working properly. My father offered to help me out so I will probably get it done. I really like the car. Plus I already have the quick struts for the front. I will try and talk the guy into giving me a discounted alignment after I install them

Last edited by tcul1972; 12 Dec 2015 at 06:08 pm.