PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Heater Core?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2016, 08:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Heater Core?

Get the stink of antifreeze when I got crank the heat. Guess it got to be the heater core. Whats got me scratching my head is if its leaking wouldn't I be getting puddles dripping from the dash somewhere? And if I do have to replace the core what kind of nightmare is that?
Old 06 Jan 2016, 09:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Heater Core?

Here's a photo peek of how it's done.

I cobbled together photos from two projects so you can see how the dash comes out and the guts that are removed to access the heater core. You don't see the steering column being dropped or the center console removal. There quite straight forward. This second project was actually to replace the A/C evaporator but 'cause we could get at the heater core it was also replaced. It only cost $60.00
Actually as you see the enclosure assembly that holds the core, it does drain to the outside but you'd smell the leak.
It's a fun week end job in any case. I hope this gives you a heads up. Good luck with the project.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
rockandroller likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 06 Jan 2016 at 09:51 pm. Reason: addition
Old 06 Jan 2016, 09:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 06 Jan 2016, 09:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Wow LionPT, every "I" dotted, every "T" crossed. Well done.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 06 Jan 2016, 10:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks.

Later.
Old 07 Jan 2016, 08:12 am
Veteran Cruiser

Very expensive, labor intensive job if you pay someone else to do it. Most shops will bill you between 8 to 12 hours for labor. OUCH! In some cases, it's just cheaper to go get another car.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 07 Jan 2016, 09:58 am
Senior Cruiser

Chuzz. Au Contrair, I had it done for $590.00 including an evaporator, the heater core, evacuation, recharging the A/C Freon and the privilege of putzin' and takin' pictures while it was being done. Ya' gotta find the right guy!!!

Happy PTin', ptprice
chuzz likes this.
Old 07 Jan 2016, 11:01 am
Veteran Cruiser

Dang, PT, you must know some folks! You got one heck of a deal!

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 07 Jan 2016, 01:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Chuzz. Arctic Cold Auto Air is a little shop in Daytona Beach that strictly specializes in doing A/C work. Ray did my A/C work on SOOO BIG. He's the owner of the shop and a five star mechanic who can fix anything. He isn't out to bleed you dry on A/C repairs. Each move is poetry in motion. No wasted time pokin' around to figger it out. Sometime the very high charges come from shops who just don't have the experience or know exactly what their doin' and you pay the price for their stumblin' around! I guess I'm fortune to find good man like this. We do speak the same "language" though when it comes to life's outlooks, including political. Nuff said.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Probedude likes this.

Last edited by ptprice; 14 Aug 2016 at 02:51 pm. Reason: corrected name
Old 08 Jan 2016, 09:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatgo1 View Post
Get the stink of antifreeze when I got crank the heat. Guess it got to be the heater core. Whats got me scratching my head is if its leaking wouldn't I be getting puddles dripping from the dash somewhere? And if I do have to replace the core what kind of nightmare is that?
i could smell antifreeze with the heat on for over a year before mine finally let go. when it did let go, the window fogged up, the exterior mirrors fogged up, and i had warm coolant running all over my feet, which ruined my shoes. luckily i made it 12+ miles home without overheating.

if you decide to change it, make sure you take both of the nuts in the engine compartment that hold the HVAC box to the firewall. i could only find one and it was just a stupid speed nut. i decided to just pull and when i did the whole HVAC box snapped in half. i didn't even pull hard, it's brittle. that was the final straw in me deciding not to repair my PT. there was a replacement on ebay for $26, but i bought the mustang 2 days before so i decided i'd rather play with something faster and easier to work on.