Advertisements
Stalling while driving and restarting itself

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2016, 11:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Stalling while driving and restarting itself

I have a 2008 4 cylinder automatic PT Cruiser. About a month ago, it started stalling on me while I was driving it. The first time I was driving on the Highway and all the dash lights turned on and after a few seconds, they turned off and everything was back to normal. It happened about 5 times within about 5-10 mins.
Since then it happens at least once a week. Sometimes the dials all drop to zero before the lights go on. Usually it happens after I have been driving for at least 15 mins. Yesterday the car stalled 4 times within a few mins, after I had been driving for about 25mins. Today it stalled 7 times within 10 mins after I had been driving for 25 mins.
If I pull over and come to a complete stop, I can turn the key and it restarts easily. I have been to the dealership 3 times and they can't find anything wrong. The last time I replaced the battery but it didn't make a difference. I loved this car, but I need a dependable ride. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 06 Jan 2016, 11:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stalling while driving and restarting itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompets View Post
I have a 2008 4 cylinder automatic PT Cruiser. About a month ago, it started stalling on me while I was driving it. The first time I was driving on the Highway and all the dash lights turned on and after a few seconds, they turned off and everything was back to normal. It happened about 5 times within about 5-10 mins.
Since then it happens at least once a week. Sometimes the dials all drop to zero before the lights go on. Usually it happens after I have been driving for at least 15 mins. Yesterday the car stalled 4 times within a few mins, after I had been driving for about 25mins. Today it stalled 7 times within 10 mins after I had been driving for 25 mins.
If I pull over and come to a complete stop, I can turn the key and it restarts easily. I have been to the dealership 3 times and they can't find anything wrong. The last time I replaced the battery but it didn't make a difference. I loved this car, but I need a dependable ride. Anyone have any experience with this?
I would suggest first doing a battery load test.

Do you keep a lot of keys on your key ring?

If the battery load test checks out good you might want to check the ignition switch.

Does your radio go on and off when it happens?
chuzz likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 07 Jan 2016 at 12:01 am.
Old 07 Jan 2016, 08:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

I was going to ask the same question as Steve did about the keys on your key chain. It sure sounds to me like you've got a problem with the ignition switch somewhere. Too many keys can wear one out. I have two keys on my key chain. One for my PT and one for my 200. My house keys and the keys to our church stay on a separate key chain.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 07 Jan 2016, 11:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The radio is not affected at all when this happens. I do have about 8 keys on my key ring so I will remove most of them. I just replaced the battery a couple weeks ago. Not sure what a battery load test is, but would I still need on with a new battery?
Old 07 Jan 2016, 11:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Maybe I should restate this as not actually stalling unless I am going really slow or are at a stop light. I have restarted it twice, most of the time it just lasts a few seconds and then everything seems normal again, until the time... It happened about 17 times in 5-10 mins this morning and as I was driving near a dealership, I drove straight there. It did it again while I was idling waiting for the door to the service dept to raise, but I accidently shut the engine off when I reach the service station. I left the vehicle there all day, but they said the problem never repeated itself. So that is my 4th trip to the Dealership for this issue.
Old 08 Jan 2016, 01:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This problem has the signature of an intermittent interruption of main power somewhere. It could be from a corroded battery connection. Some have reported that it was caused by a corroded positive starter terminal. The problem could be caused by a bad ground from the negative battery cable to where it connects to the drivers side inside fender. It could be corrosion where the positive cable from the battery enters the TIPM. It could also be a bad connection inside the TIPM. Then some have fixed it with the replacement of the ignition switch. Also very rarely someone would fix it with the replacement of the Instrument Cluster.

I would start with the most common problem which is the battery cables first. After you check to make sure the battery cables are clean and the battery is completely charged you can take the PT Cruiser to an auto parts store like Sears and they will do a battery load test on it for free.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 08 Jan 2016 at 01:13 am.
Old 08 Jan 2016, 08:08 am
Veteran Cruiser

While I agree with almost everything Steve said in the above post, I have to suggest you stay away from Sears. Even if you bought a new battery from them the day before, if you go back and want a load test on it, you'll be told it's defective and need a new one. Very unscrupulous service departments. Just go by Autozone, Advance or O'Reily. Whichever is closest to you.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 08 Jan 2016, 08:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompets View Post

Part 1

Part 2

The solution was to replace the Ignition switch.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 10 Jan 2016, 12:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Stalling while driving and restarting itself

Thanks everybody for your help and terrific suggestions. The videos posted by PTLion are exactly what I have been experiencing.

Tags
electrical, restarting, stalling