PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bought used 06 PT Limited Turbo, need mods

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2016, 10:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Bought used 06 PT Limited Turbo, need mods

Hey everyone, I'm a very new PT owner and I'm very happy about my purchase! I bought a 2006 Pt Limited that comes with the turbo and I'm wondering where I should even begin to mod it. I wanna start with performance mods first and need to know where to start with first since my car is completely stock. Thanks!
Old 14 Jan 2016, 11:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bought used 06 PT Limited Turbo, need mods

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 15 Jan 2016, 12:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You may want to read this before you begin your PT cruiser Performance?

Adding Perfromance PT CRUISER parts

It is not about what other's can and will recommend, and you will get a lot of responses and a boat load of opinions on what other's did. But it should be about what you are trying to achieve and not what other tried or achieved themselves. Unless your are going to copy everything they did to end with the same results.

Is this PT Cruiser going to be a daily driver, a track rat,weekend cruiser,or project. Are you willing to sacrifice reliability for performance? How much work are you planing on doing your self and what and how much will you need to seek others for assistance. And most importantly realistically what is your budget.
CREWZIN and VOS like this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 15 Jan 2016 at 12:09 am.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 09:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Agree it all depends on your goals as to what you can do to improve the performance.

For me, all that I wanted was a bit more kick that was safe for stock components and literally plug and play and only takes a few minutes to install. If you are the same, then you can do what I did and get a Stage 1 computer. This will give a 50+ Horsepower boost to your Limited Turbo car (commonly referred to as a Turbo Lite since it has less performance than the GT. The only difference, performance wise, between Turbo Lite cars and GT's are the computer tune, and, I believe, the muffler). The stage 1 ecu will lift your HP and Torque even beyond the GT level, it is safe for stock components and really is plug and play.

Syked ECU Tuning can provide one for $199 if you send him a core that he can flash the tune into. (I recommend you keep your stock computer as a backup and find a used core to send him. You will always have your stock computer for emergency or if you sell your car later.) If you are close to a serve yourself junkyard, you can often get a core for a very reasonable price. Otherwise, you can always send your original to him, but of course you will not be able to drive your car for a few weeks while it is being modified and shipped.

2004-2006 PT Cruiser Syked Stage 1 Ecu Flash MTX/ATX (Turbo)
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by myckee; 15 Jan 2016 at 09:38 am.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 08:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info! I actually want the stage one ecu but I have no idea where to get it lol. Other than that I think just a tune would be perfect for me and maybe even a dual exhaust mod. *edit in next comment*

Last edited by agall929; 15 Jan 2016 at 08:41 pm.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 08:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

*Edit* didn't notice the link to Skyked's ecu flash. Is that the only available tune you can do? I thought you could use a Diablo sport tuner but maybe I'm wrong because I don't have the GT version I have a Lite. Plus not being able to drive for a couple weeks is brutal since I need my car for everyday driving lol.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 11:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Unfortunately, you need to have a GT or Stage 1 ecu before you can use a Diablosport device to tune your car. So if you could find a GT ecu and get the VIN flashed in it to your car's VIN, then you could skip the Stage 1 computer and just use the DS to basically give you the equivalent and more of the stage 1 tune.

Finding an 06 GT computer and then having it VIN flashed, will not be a cheap option, unless you get lucky at the junkyard and score one cheaply. It would be easier to buy an ecu from any 06 cruiser and send it to syked for a flash. (just make sure to buy an ecu from an automatic if your car is an auto, or, a manual ecu if you car is a manual)

Syked also has a Stage 2 flash but it would require new injectors, wastegate actuator, map and tip sensors. He also can do completely custom tunes as well. If you really want to tune it yourself, he has a new handheld unit that will allow you to complete tuning of your ecu, including flashing stage1 tunes. So, if you would not be content with just putting a Stage 1 or 2 ecu in your car, and you were really wanting to use a DS to further tune, then you could save some money and buy his handheld tuner and forget the stage1 and DS and have complete tuning control of your car...far far above the ability of a DS.

Last edited by myckee; 16 Jan 2016 at 12:02 am.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Unfortunately, you need to have a GT or Stage 1 ecu before you can use a Diablosport device to tune your car. So if you could find a GT ecu and get the VIN flashed in it to your car's VIN, then you could skip the Stage 1 computer and just use the DS to basically give you the equivalent and more of the stage 1 tune.

Finding an 06 GT computer and then having it VIN flashed, will not be a cheap option, unless you get lucky at the junkyard and score one cheaply. It would be easier to buy an ecu from any 06 cruiser and send it to syked for a flash. (just make sure to buy an ecu from an automatic if your car is an auto, or, a manual ecu if you car is a manual)

Syked also has a Stage 2 flash but it would require new injectors, wastegate actuator, map and tip sensors. He also can do completely custom tunes as well. If you really want to tune it yourself, he has a new handheld unit that will allow you to complete tuning of your ecu, including flashing stage1 tunes. So, if you would not be content with just putting a Stage 1 or 2 ecu in your car, and you were really wanting to use a DS to further tune, then you could save some money and buy his handheld tuner and forget the stage1 and DS and have complete tuning control of your car...far far above the ability of a DS.
Okay so looks like a Diablo is out of the picture! So if I wanted to send him a core to flash would it have to be from a turbo lite pt? Because from what it seems finding a ecu for my car seems pretty difficult since there isn't a lot of 06 turbo lites around with a spare ecu.
And second, if and when I do send him a spare core to flash will I be able to drive my PT around, or will I have to wait for him to send mine back? Thanks for the answers and sorry for asking some dumb questions
Old 17 Jan 2016, 01:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A simple CAT back with no larger than 2.5 pipe and muffler CFM flowed to at least 396CFM or more, DiablowSport *DST DiabloSport Trinity(IMHO recommended) use the 93 tune unchanged and a Universal wet nitrous system set at 75hp charge. This combination will yield you some impressive reliable and safe wheel horsepower and under 12 second passes consistently(with traction off the line) in the 1/4 mile. Anything else is really not cost effective and the additional gains in excess of 250whp will cause harm to other drivetrain parts not upgraded to handle the increase power levels. Also you get into more needed PCM calibrations.

* recommendation in previous response on how to first achieve a a GT or Stage 1 ecu before you can use a Diablosport device to tune your car

Questions relating to what Syked can and can NOT do with any ECU/PCM should be directed to him.
This will save arguments and problems do to misunderstandings from the gate.
agall929 likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 Jan 2016 at 01:53 pm.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 10:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Awesome! So let's say I wanted to order a GT PCM, do I have to get the exact year PCM, or is there a year range I can buy from?
*EDIT*
Found this http://store.allcomputerresources.co...tcrpcme12.html
Would this work in my car?

Last edited by agall929; 17 Jan 2016 at 10:26 pm.

Tags
mods, stock, turbo