• 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 2 Post By LionPT
  • 2 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By sanatanadharma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2016, 02:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Solonoid wireing problem

Hello / hey . I changed my radiator and when it was out I thought it would be cool to have the started rebuilt so if it eventually went bad I wouldn't have to deal with it so ...... I took it to a place to have it rebuilt and he told me 98.00 and all new parts. When I went to pick it up he had a new one in the box for 130.00 and said mine was beyond repair ( I thought but didn't say , BS ! ).
So I put the new one in and it squealed and got hot then the noise stopped butt the battery light stays on in the instrument panel .
My first thought was that I hooked it up wrong with the red cable on the top stud and the green on the bottom. I don't see how it could go any other way.
Am I right in thinking the started is bad ?
Thanks
Old 24 Jan 2016, 08:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Solonoid wireing problem

Sounds to me like you got ripped off. I'd go back and demand my old one back and go to an auto parts store. You can get a lifetime warranted starter at O'Reilly for about $65 with a $35 core charge. Geez!

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 09:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

I realize that I could have gone to a chain parts store but I wanted it rebuilt by a reputable person who would not use defective parts or used parts as many others do at the chain stores like Autozoe. I want it the same as if I was rebuilding it from scratch ( if I had that knowledge ).
What I would like to know is when looking down on the starter from the front of the engine , is the red wire on the top stud and the green on the bottom ?
Thanks
Old 24 Jan 2016, 10:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Looked at mine and the red is on the top. Here's a picture from the internet...almost looks like the red and green on the same bolt. Couldn't get a good look at mine either. Picture is from a 2003 PT.

Here's mine but not much better...

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 Jan 2016 at 10:32 am.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 10:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin. Mine is a 2006 and the solenoid has two posts . I remember when I took it out the red and green were on two separate post but I don't remember the order ( old age at work . Also , on my gauge the battery image stays on now and it didn't before I put the new one on. I have the red on top and green on bottom. I am going to go to battle with this guy who I think put my old ( good ) starter on the shelf to sell to someone else ( assumption ). The original starter showed no sign of being bad , I just wanted it rebuilt as maintenance so I wouldn't have to change it down the road.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 11:31 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by schism View Post
Thanks Crewzin. Mine is a 2006 and the solenoid has two posts . I remember when I took it out the red and green were on two separate post but I don't remember the order ( old age at work . Also , on my gauge the battery image stays on now and it didn't before I put the new one on. I have the red on top and green on bottom. I am going to go to battle with this guy who I think put my old ( good ) starter on the shelf to sell to someone else ( assumption ). The original starter showed no sign of being bad , I just wanted it rebuilt as maintenance so I wouldn't have to change it down the road.
This is from my 2006...pic isn't that great as sun is shinning down on the front of the car & I needed flashlight to light up starter.
The green wire is on the same post as the red wire, the bottom post is empty.

IMG_20160124_111728.jpg
sanatanadharma and VOS like this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 24 Jan 2016 at 11:43 am.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 12:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When you are not sure of the wiring connections always go to the factory manual and verify it. Its can be very expensive and might take out your starter,battery or generator if the wires are not hooked up correctly to the starter solenoid.

Its good practice and only takes a few seconds to take pictures of what you are taking apart before you do take it apart. This way you have something to reference from when putting it back together.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 03:14 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Because Trump

"Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first." - Charles de Gaulle

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 06:57 pm.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 04:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
I have a factory shop manual. I spent time going through it.
The OP did not include necessary diagnostic information.
Example, am I to check schematics for the 1.6L, the 2.4 NA or the 2.4 turbo, or is it diesel?
It makes a difference!

The OP did not say what model year. I had to search to learn that it is a 2nd gen and therefore I can not help! I learned this after investing time.
Below was written prior to this knowledge; it known to me to be true knowledge of the 1st gen cruiser:

The factory manual confirms that knowledge posted and pictured above.
The big red and the smaller green both fasten to the same starter motor post.

Operating the system with the green fastened to ground (the empty stud) sent current trough the starter to/ through a fusible link and to generator to ground (if the diodes got fried). However it is a second gen so ---so much might be fried.

The generator's armature may have spun resulting in the "generator field control" circuit to the car's PCM setting a battery temperature sensor MIL (speculation from schematic 8W-20-4&5 2.4L turbo charging system and 8W-21-3 2.4L starting system).
Good luck.
The empty stud?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 31 Jan 2016 at 12:04 pm.