Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'04 pt turbo blown head gasket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2016, 08:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default '04 pt turbo blown head gasket

hello everyone, i am in a bit of a pickle here with my cruiser. it started to overheat a couple of weeks ago on my way home from work on a 19 mile commute. when i got home and opened the hood there was audible bubbling coming from the engine coolant reservoir. i took it in to the shop close to me and they said it is most likely a blown head gasket. they said the job would take OVER 2000 DOLLARS and that it might not completely fix the problem. the odometer is at 124k, and its been a really great reliable car as long as ive had it. i really love this car and would hate to get rid of it. its taken me from california to montana and back, and then from california to pennsylvania.

now im not sure i believe that a job like this should cost this much. and if so, then it should definitely fix the problem, right? im just not sure i trust this shop very much. they told me id be better off trading the car in for a new one, but i really dont feel like thats a good idea. my gut tells me that this is a repair that should cost less and make the engine last quite a bit longer.

any feedback on this issue would be much appreciated! thank you for your time everyone!
Old 09 Apr 2016, 08:23 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: '04 pt turbo blown head gasket

Take it to a different shop, price should around $800-$1000. (depends on where you live, might be more, might be less)
Most of the cost is going to a head shop that will check for cracks & resurface the head, the rest is shop labor & gasket set.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 09 Apr 2016 at 08:26 am.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 08:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

thank you for the reassurance, i definitely thought that 2000 was too much even for this job. im not giving up on this car! im going to look around for other shops and see if someone can get me a better deal. once the repair is done ill update this post with how it turned out.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 08:36 am
Dedicated Cruiser

That's good advise from LionPT. I echo it. Good luck.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayne_Hughes View Post
hello everyone, i am in a bit of a pickle here with my cruiser. it started to overheat a couple of weeks ago on my way home from work on a 19 mile commute. when i got home and opened the hood there was audible bubbling coming from the engine coolant reservoir. i took it in to the shop close to me and they said it is most likely a blown head gasket. they said the job would take OVER 2000 DOLLARS and that it might not completely fix the problem. the odometer is at 124k, and its been a really great reliable car as long as ive had it. i really love this car and would hate to get rid of it. its taken me from california to montana and back, and then from california to pennsylvania.

now im not sure i believe that a job like this should cost this much. and if so, then it should definitely fix the problem, right? im just not sure i trust this shop very much. they told me id be better off trading the car in for a new one, but i really dont feel like thats a good idea. my gut tells me that this is a repair that should cost less and make the engine last quite a bit longer.

any feedback on this issue would be much appreciated! thank you for your time everyone!
Has the timing belt & water pump been replaced alread?
Old 09 Apr 2016, 11:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

i bought the car almost 2 years ago and it had 72k miles on it and i havent changed the pump or done the timing belt.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 12:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayne_Hughes View Post
i bought the car almost 2 years ago and it had 72k miles on it and i havent changed the pump or done the timing belt.
If you end up with a blown head gasket, spend the extra few 100 and replace the timing belt & water pump.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 09 Apr 2016, 12:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

First things first, it could be something as simple as a stuck thermostat. I'd check and make sure the cooling fans are working, change the thermostat and radiator cap. All cheap and easy things to do.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 09 Apr 2016, 01:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

would you guys agree that this is not something to get rid of the car over? people are telling me to get a new car, but i would hate to part with this car! i've been through a lot with it in the short time i've owned it.

another reason i dont feel right is because i havent even payed off the loan for this car yet. i would like to have it at least until ive payed it off!

another thing i forgot to mention is that the engine coolant is disappearing really quickly. in the short time between it first overheating to the day i took it to the shop almost all the coolant was gone. the shop also said there was oil in with the coolant...

which im guessing are both positive indicators towards a blown head gasket?

also, what kinds of effects on engine performance does a blown head gasket have? as far as i can tell theres barely any noticeable effects for me while driving other than the temperature rising, and the coolant boiling and steaming.