Advertisements
2005 Limited, Second Gear Only

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2016, 07:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Default 2005 Limited, Second Gear Only

Okay guys,
2005 PT Cruiser turbo lite automatic with Stage One ECU.
Last Sunday morning, on the way to church, my PT started in 2nd gear and stayed in 2nd gear. After church, it was fine and shifted normally, althought I noticed that it idled a bit higher whenever I shifted into reverse. It never did that before. I disconnected the transmission plug on the ECM and checked all pins and sockets and sprayed some contact cleaner on them even thought they looked fine. It was fine for a week.
This Sunday, again on the way to church, it started in 2nd and stayed in 2nd. Again, it was fine on the way home, but idled up a bit when shifted into reverse.
Bringing my son to school this morning, starts in 2nd and stuck in 2nd again. I plugged in my code reader, and no codes to be read.

I understand that the second gear only thing is the transmission's "limp mode" when a problem is sensed, and can mean that the transmission control module is bad or has a connection problem.
My questions are as follows:
Does my car have a separate TCM?
If so, where is it?
Any ideas on diagnosing this issue?
Is it possible that my car is a different religion than us?
Old 11 Apr 2016, 08:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Limited, Second Gear Only

I would suggest you take the PT Cruiser to a transmission shop that will check for transmission trouble codes for free. Our scanners are limited on what codes it will recognize depending on what scan tool you have.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 11 Apr 2016, 09:32 am
Veteran Cruiser

Have you ever changed the fluid and filter in it? How many miles on it? A fluid and filter change is not a bad job at all and MIGHT cure your limp mode problem. Check and make sure the solenoid pack isn't loose.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 11 Apr 2016, 09:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you are asking about this than you probably don't have the experience with a 41TE/ A604 transmission to really solve the issue.

Before you do "costly" damage you should strongly consider what ptcruisersteve in the second response suggested.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Apr 2016, 07:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

I brought it to my friendly neighborhood Oreilly Auto Parts and they put their code reader on it. It showed these two codes:

P1684 Battery power has been disconnected in the last 50 starts (I haven't disconnected the battery in some time, but I did disconnect the transmission plug on the ECU less than 50 starts ago)

P0714 Transmission fluid temperature sensor circuit intermittent

So, I'm thinking that I have an intermittent wiring issue in the temp sensor circuit, or I need a new transmission range/temperature sensor. This would also explain why I could have sworn that sometimes it holds gears longer than it used to.

Thanks for the great advise to get the tranny codes read. Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

Last edited by Moparman440; 13 Apr 2016 at 08:06 pm.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 09:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest diagnosing it immediately. If your transmission range sensor is possibly bad it might be effecting the temperature of the transmission triggering the P0714.

Has the transmission oil been changed routinely?

Has the PT Cruiser been driven with the transmission oil level low?

Is the transmission oil dark?
Old 14 Apr 2016, 07:10 am
Cool Cruiser

The transmission temperature sensor is built into the range sensor, and apparently the temp sensor is bad or there is a problem with the wiring. I'll check the wiring, but I'll probably end up having to pull the valve body and change the sensor.

The transmission fluid looks and smells just fine, I doubt know if it was ever run with the fluid low, as the transmission was serviced regularly by the original owner and there is no record of a transmission leak.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 07:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Does it have the proper ATF+4 in it? The 41TE trans will go into "limp mode" if regular Dexron is put in there.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 08:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman440 View Post
The transmission temperature sensor is built into the range sensor, and apparently the temp sensor is bad or there is a problem with the wiring. I'll check the wiring, but I'll probably end up having to pull the valve body and change the sensor.

The transmission fluid looks and smells just fine, I doubt know if it was ever run with the fluid low, as the transmission was serviced regularly by the original owner and there is no record of a transmission leak.
There was one other member that I am aware of that had a bad wire going to the range sensor.
Old 30 Apr 2016, 05:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Just wanted to wrap this up in case anyone else has the same problem in the future.
I changed the transmission range sensor (which contains the thermistor that allows the TCM to read the tranny fluid temperature) and all is well.
I am back to enjoying my car again.
chuzz likes this.