Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pt cruiser is having issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2016, 10:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pt cruiser is having issues

Ok so my sister bought a pt cruiser like mine but without the performance stuff I put on Mine her car is completely stock. It all started a couple of weeks ago when her timing belt went out the belt striped the teeth on the crank got it fixed a couple of days later the car starts to have problems it would start to stumble and act like it wasn't getting any power she would accelerate and the car would only stumble and backfire the. The check engine light came on it was the cam sensor and iac sensor cleaned the iac and replaced the cam sensor and also decided might as well change the crank cause on mine both went out at the same time so did all of that car worked great for a couple days then it started all over again so I thought maybe it could be spark so I changed the plugs and cables worked great for a day. The next mourning the she went to work the car did nothing acted normal until after work where the car started to stumble and backfire again and to the point that the car would turn off and not start again checked the check engine light to see if it had any and it had p0031,p0032,p0037,p0038. i thought it was weird that both oxygen sensors would go bad at the same time so I reset the check engine using my dsp. The check engine light came back on the next day and started to stumble and backfire and die again she did the key dance and it came back with more error codes p0031,p0032,p0037,p0038,p0201,p0202,p0203,p0204,p0 300 so I thought maybe there were bad so I went to autozone and got Bosch replacement ones changed them resented the ecu again worked great for 3 hours then the damn engine comes back on with the same codes but now she is flashing the check engine light but it wasn't stumbling or backfiring yet so I drove her car and as soon as I got to the corner of my house it start to stumble and backfire but now the car won't turn on at all. What do you guys think might be wrong with her car thanks in advance
Old 12 Apr 2016, 10:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Pt cruiser is having issues

i would suggest checking the fuel pressure. It should be 57 +/- 5 PSI.

If your fuel pressure is good I would suggest you check your ASD relay.

If your ASD relay is good I would suggest you check to see if you have voltage going to the fuel injectors.

If there is voltage to the fuel injectors check the wiring going to the ECM. If the wiring is good I would suggest you check the ECM.

Post back what you find.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 13 Apr 2016 at 08:26 am. Reason: added to check injectors
Old 13 Apr 2016, 06:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

If all of this started after the timing belt was replaced, that is where you need to start.
Either it's off a tooth/two or something wasn't put back in it's place after it was put back together.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 13 Apr 2016, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok so checked everything everything seemed fine switched the relay from her car to mine my car was fine and hers was still having problems checked the timing belt its aligned fuel pressure was good at 55 I did a diod test on the fuel injectors they were all getting power I'm really hopeing it isn't the pcm if it is I have my old stage 0 there she wouldn't have any issues using my old pcm both cars are identical I'm going to see how much a vin flash is at the dealer
Old 13 Apr 2016, 10:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Make sure you have 12 volts going to the injectors and the injector wires going to the PCM has continuity.

Also check the PCM ground.

Also I would consider doing a fuel pressure leak test just to make sure you have the fuel volume you need.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 13 Apr 2016 at 11:54 pm.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 11:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

From a guy who just dealt with a timing belt being off ....

You checked it? So you pulled the harmonic balancer and bottom color to get tdc? Or used a long screw driver on cylinder number one? Did you pull the top cover and get a strait edge to see if the lines matched up and all four are in line?
Old 13 Apr 2016, 11:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTloser32805 View Post
From a guy who just dealt with a timing belt being off ....

You checked it? So you pulled the harmonic balancer and bottom color to get tdc? Or used a long screw driver on cylinder number one? Did you pull the top cover and get a strait edge to see if the lines matched up and all four are in line?
P0201,p0202,p0203,p0204

Set Conditions: No inductive spike is detected after injector turned off.

PTloser32805, how do you diagnose the timing belt replacement with p0201,p0202,p0203,p0204?
Old 14 Apr 2016, 12:08 am
Cool Cruiser

"Worked great for a couple days". After reading reading that, I will take back my thought about t belt.

I'm no mechanic, don't take what I say as correct...