Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Looking to change default intake HELP PT Turbo 2.4L Touring 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2016, 05:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Looking to change default intake HELP PT Turbo 2.4L Touring 2006

I own a Pt convertible touring turbo 2.4L 2006 and it has the default intake. I had to change the plastic sleeve of it twice now and it broke again today so I'm looking for a good intake to replace the whole thing. Now I've heard about K&N but I honestly don't know that much when it comes to car performance boosting so if someone can help me I would really appreciate it.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 09:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Looking to change default intake HELP PT Turbo 2.4L Touring 2006

First, before this thread gets ruined in a heated debate over whether a cold air intake actually adds anything to the performance of a street PT, here's my experience.

I tried an Airaid cold air intake and didn't car for it. It was ugly and didn't appear to add anything for either looks or performance.

The cheap ones on eBay seem as good as any except the filters (at least every one I've bought) make a big sucking sound and that likely indicates they are inefficient. One of the things I'm trained in is industrial ventilation. And most often, loud noise equals bad. My solution on two PT's and other cars has been to throw away the cheap filter and get a Spectra. They are well made, last a long time and are generally quiet. And if you get a CAI of any type, be sure to get some kind of air dam to help limit drawing hot air off the engine.

Note that almost all these may only be for looks. The ones in my footer below are pretty if nothing else. But if you look at the older threads where members attempted more real performance gains, the primary method was often just to gut the muffler out of the stock filter housing and then install a high-performance drop-in filter. If you just want something more efficient, that's likely a good solution. And you can buy universal sleeves and elbows at many parts stores.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Apr 2016 at 09:36 pm.

Tags
intake, turbo