Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No Voltage to Fan male plug end

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2016, 11:28 pm
Banned

Default No Voltage to Fan male plug end

Hello everyone, My name is Mike. I recently purchased about two months ago a 2005 pt cruiser. I fell in love with it. I bought it knowing it needed a water pump. So I replaced the water pump, timing belt, thermostat and Oil pressure control switch. I then replaced the pcm because of false readings on the o2 sensors. upstream and downstream both also replaced. Plus it would sometimes not shift gears. Its an automatic but it would seem like it was stuck in first gear. The rpm gage wouldnt budge. Replacement of the PCM fixed those issues. Now present day. I got code errors for the oil pressure control switch and ambient temperature control switch. Both new and replaced. So might be a faulty PCM again... arg!

My present day problem is this... We recently had a hot day in Idaho. Turned on the ac. No cold air. I bought some freon, thinking thats what I needed. Nope, full. Replaced switch on canister by the fire wall. No fix, Then checked my fan. Didnt turn on when ac was turned on. So I tested fan. Pulled the connector and tested directly to battery. Low fan didnt spin. High side did. So replaced fan. Went ahead and replaced high speed relay and low speed relay. They're cheap enough. Plugged the new fan in, Nothing! Pulled the plug and then connected directly to battery. High speed and low speed work. I then checked for power on male side of plug. No voltage. Tried my probe with a light. didnt light. So, how do you guys check to see if voltage is getting to the relays? Do I pull the relay for high and low out of the ecm and stick my meter on pin 87 and check for voltage on pin 87? Oh before I forget I replaced the 40amp fuse and 10 amp fuses as well.

Wondering if this PCM I bought from solo, off ebay, for 160 bucks is bad? I do have a lifetime warranty on it, If it does need replaced.

Really Hoping someone with more experience can help me through this problem. Thoughts?
Old 14 Apr 2016, 01:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No Voltage to Fan male plug end

First of all I would suggest you stop replacing parts. The more parts you replace the harder it is going to be to diagnose the problem. Anytime you replace a part and it doesn't fix the problem its recommended to put the original part back in.

I would suggest you check the engine coolant temperature sensor.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 10:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: No Voltage to Fan male plug end

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjradio View Post
Hello everyone, My name is Mike.

So, how do you guys check to see if voltage is getting to the relays?
hi Mike.

you get someone with a GOOD scanner to assist. you need a fancy scanner with bi-directional control. that way you can turn the fans on high, low, off, etc to test them.

i use a very close friends "snap-on solus ultra"... and then i wipe off the fingerprints, clean it as if it were a laptop, and gently hand it back. they're pricey.

Last edited by rob342; 14 Apr 2016 at 10:25 am.