PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Same CRAP different day

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Apr 2016, 12:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Same CRAP different day

Hello everyone. I am new to this site. I have read lots of posts and answers. And nothing has helped. I have personally messaged cruizin, but I would like other ideas as well. I messaged him late and am posting this late, so I don't expect immediate answers.

I have a 2002 pt cruiser 2.4l standard. I bought it for $1500 and the guy said it was an awesome car. While it was nice for 5 minutes she stalled on me. I had to have AAA bring it home and because I was over my miles had to pay another $150.

Well, I have replaced the fuel pump and cam sensor. My car will drive for 5 minutes and stall out. While playing with it, it can idle for ten minutes and stall out. Everything is timed. When I try to start it back up, it turns over for but not catch. I Have to wait for an hour and then it will start again. At the 10 minute mark, it stalls.

I get no codes. I have read everything. Everyone has changed the cam and crank sensors, the pcm. People have checked the harness and o2 sensors and still nothing.

My friend has suggested that there is a sensor or a relay behind the glove box that sends a message to the pcm telling it if the engine is hot or cold? Is there any truth to this? He said it was a 4$ part... I have 3 kids and my husband has a 75 Vega and there is no way in hell we can go anywhere in that! I have no money but if I can get down to what it is my in laws can get the part, please help!

Last edited by CREWZIN; 14 Apr 2016 at 07:01 am.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 01:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Same shit different day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyardwoman View Post
Hello everyone. I am new to this site. I have read lots of posts and answers. And nothing has helped. I have personally messaged cruizin, but I would like other ideas as well. I messaged him late and am posting this late, so I don't expect immediate answers.

I have a 2002 pt cruiser 2.4l standard. I bought it for $1500 and the guy said it was an awesome car. While it was nice for 5 minutes she stalled on me. I had to have AAA bring it home and because I was over my miles had to pay another $150.

Well, I have replaced the fuel pump and cam sensor. My car will drive for 5 minutes and stall out. While playing with it, it can idle for ten minutes and stall out. Everything is timed. When I try to start it back up, it turns over for but not catch. I Have to wait for an hour and then it will start again. At the 10 minute mark, it stalls.

I get no codes. I have read everything. Everyone has changed the cam and crank sensors, the pcm. People have checked the harness and o2 sensors and still nothing.

My friend has suggested that there is a sensor or a relay behind the glove box that sends a message to the pcm telling it if the engine is hot or cold? Is there any truth to this? He said it was a 4$ part... I have 3 kids and my husband has a 75 Vega and there is no way in hell we can go anywhere in that! I have no money but if I can get down to what it is my in laws can get the part, please help!
If you expect an answer from Cruzin you should only post when sober, If you've read the forum he does not put up with frustrated users thinking they can use any language or garbage verbiage they choose.
some users who persist in their choice words are banned.
Thank you.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 14 Apr 2016, 01:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

1. I am sober.
2. I am frustrated at my car.
3. What language was I using that offended you?
Old 14 Apr 2016, 01:10 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
1. I am sober.
2. I am frustrated at my car.
3. What language was I using that offended you?
I'd guess: same "stuff" different day
Old 14 Apr 2016, 01:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I did read a few things saying they didn't like people writing in all capital letters and such, but didn't see anything about the language. If I happen to have any future posts, I'll remember that.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 02:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Sounds like you have already decided that this forum does not have the answer to your problem.

From what you are describing I would suggest checking to see if your exhaust is restricted.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 02:09 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Sounds like you have already decided that this forum does not have the answer to your problem.

From what you are describing I would suggest checking to see if your exhaust is restricted.
I was leaning towards fuel starvation, maybe due to a clogged vent
Old 14 Apr 2016, 02:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

What do you mean restricted? I see the usual smoke when it comes out. I forgot to add that when the car gets up to temp, at the 10 minute mark, is she stalls.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 02:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

I thought it might be the filter, but I changed that.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 06:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

Since you have an 02, look under the car and see if you can see some wires hanging down and contacting the axle. I THINK it's the passenger side that this clip that gets hot and breaks over time. Anyway, the wires go to the crank sensor and get shorted. If that's happening, then it's simply a matter of cleaning and repairing the wires and zip tying the harness up out of the way. Welcome to the forum, by the way. Don't worry too much about the language things as Crewzin is a good guy and I'm sure he'll understand your frustration. We've all been there at some point in time. Just try to keep it calm and on the minimum and you'll be okay. As for the restricted exhaust, I THINK Steve is suspecting that your catalytic converter might be clogged. Take a rubber mallet or light hammer and tap on it and see if you hear any stuff rattling around in there. If so, then that's probably your problem. Try those things and then come back and tell us what you've found, okay?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.