Advertisements
Temp gauge sitting below halfway mark.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 4 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2016, 07:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Temp gauge sitting below halfway mark.

What is that all about? So it doesn't go over the halfway mark, but often sits just below it between the black midway line and the one below it.

Old 16 Apr 2016, 07:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Temp gauge sitting below halfway mark.

With the Stant Superstat, my GT used to stay right below the half mark. Before that is sat right on the half mark. Also I once had a thermostat stick open and the PT ran less than a quarter of the way up on the gauge most of the time.

Your issue might be a thermostat that opens just a little too soon or your OEM gauge might be just a little off. The one thing you will to want check first is that yoru PT is completely full of coolant and that the air has been burped out through the bleed valve on the thermostat housing. If the coolant is a little low, it can sometimes make the gauge read low. Often it will swing back and forth over time. But as a rule, check the fluid first.

If the coolant is full and everything is as it should be except for the temp reading, you could try a new thermostat and/or try a mechanical temp gauge to get a real reading of the temperature. If the thermostat has never been changed or if it's been a very long time, I might do that first since it's just part of routine maintenance anyway.
ptprice likes this.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 07:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

I recently changed the thermostat and rad cap, I am having coolant issues at present. I did a whole bleed of the system today. Recently one of the valves on the hoses disintegrated and well, a whole load of air got sucked in.

I thought it would have gone by now. Some bubbling sound. Coolant levels seem stable though.

I am perplexed.

I had considered head gasket leak, but the bubbling is not consistent, and oil is clear and no sign of anything wrong with the smoke from exhaust.

Maybe it needs a few days running after this whole bleed?

Old 16 Apr 2016, 10:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I usually burp the coolant system by taking the cap off, taking a little coolant out as the coolant level will rise, then after the engine warms up and the thermostat opens up add coolant until it goes to the top, then put the cap back on and let it run for 5 minutes. After you shut the engine off, let it cool off, take the cap off and let it sit over night with the cap off but close the hood. This will allow most air in the coolant system to bleed out overnight. It will help more if you jack up the front of the PT Cruiser and then let it sit overnight. Fill it up in the morning if necessary.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 16 Apr 2016 at 10:35 pm.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 11:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would not rely on what the gauge indicates until you have used an external temperature measuring device to verify things!!!
Old 17 Apr 2016, 02:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I usually burp the coolant system by taking the cap off, taking a little coolant out as the coolant level will rise, then after the engine warms up and the thermostat opens up add coolant until it goes to the top, then put the cap back on and let it run for 5 minutes. After you shut the engine off, let it cool off, take the cap off and let it sit over night with the cap off but close the hood. This will allow most air in the coolant system to bleed out overnight. It will help more if you jack up the front of the PT Cruiser and then let it sit overnight. Fill it up in the morning if necessary.
An interesting method. I did try bleeding the system using one of those no spill yellow jugs. It appeared to work, until I gave the car a run, and still some bubbling.

I just wonder how much air got sucked into the whole system when the valve went kaput.