PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Purchase 09 Cruiser

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Apr 2016, 12:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New Purchase 09 Cruiser

I totaled my 02 PT last month and have a chance to buy a 09 PT with 104000 miles on it. My only concern is the timing belt issue. Have any improvements been made on the newer models or is it the same o/s. I asked the owner if he had replaced the belt but he said he had never heard of the problem. I can pick it up for $3000 and it's in real good shape. The guy bought a Chrysler Town & Country and doesn't need two cars.
What do you all think? Should I go for it or wait.
Thanks folks,
Bob
Old 17 Apr 2016, 12:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New Purchase 09 Cruiser

The belt is a problem with that kind of mileage but if the PT is in good condition, it could be a great deal but figure in the belt with your costs if you can't do it yourself. The newer generation changed the interior, outside bodywork front and rear and the electrical system (they went to the CAN-BUS system). Other that that, same ole great car.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 12:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Electronics are totally different between the two. The 09 will have a TIPM (totally integrated power module) which controls EVERY electrical function of the car. A lot of people don't like this, but I had an 08 Caliber with the TIPM and never had a failure. But in all fairness, it got murdered in a head on collision with only 65,000 miles on it. Wait for others here that have the later models with the TIPM to chime in. I'd try to cut at least $500 off the price just because it's going to need that timing belt change soon, and unless you're a DIY'er, it's going to run you between $800 to $1,500 to get it done, depending on where you live and where you take it. Other than that, I'd say go for it, if it's in as good of shape as you say. Make sure you check the engine mounts and lower control arms if you check it out. Normal wear items, but maybe more room for negotiating a lower price.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks.
I sorta figured that and he dropped 900 off the 3900 original price when I told him about the belt.
I did my 02 back in 05 but I've had some medical problems and wouldn't try it again. I didn't have any problems when I did the belt routine as I read here that it was very important to turn the engine over several times to make sure the adjusters were right. Sure thing, on the 3rd turn the belt was off a cog. Readjusted it and drove it another 86000 miles.
What a site!
I guess I'll start asking around for a good shop to do the job. Is it still around a $1,000? What belt/pump, etc do you recommend?
Thanks again for the reply.
The Insurance gave me $2237 for my 02. Not bad as it had 181000 miles.
Bob
Old 17 Apr 2016, 12:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

Although at first I bought into most of the information about "myth" about the timing belt and PT Cruisers I have since been shown by simple mathematics's along with a speculation from a few Automotive Engineers why the timing belt "myth" started in the first place.
Forum "myths" are hard to argue with.So many experts with vast experience on those subjects.

Enjoy your PT do the bumper to bumper inspection and normal things like wash wax, sit in the drivers seat and think about what mods you are going to be doing and naturally the normal maintenance things we all do when we get a new "used" vehicle.

Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 17 Apr 2016, 01:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I doubt if I'll ever be able to replace my 02. It had power everything, leather seats, sliding sunroof etc. Only problem I ever had, other than the belt, was the A/C. Finally paid $1756 for a complete new system that only lasted one summer. Really need the a/c here in Georgia!
I've checked many sites for used PT's and don't see any later then 08. Must be folks are just starting to get to that magical 100,000 mark. There is another 07 with 124,000 for $2500 but the belt hasn't been changed either.
Thanks for the feedback.
Bob
Old 17 Apr 2016, 01:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A lot of us picked a timing belt kit (includes everything) from Rock Auto. They are a sponsor in this forum and usually have a discount going and they ship pretty fast. But check with whoever you have doing the belt first as some places don't like you bringing your own parts.

I used my local Chrysler dealer and it ran $1200 without parts and also included part and labor for crankshaft gasket as they found it leaking.

P.S. if you think it's a myth about having the belt changed around the 100,000 mile mark, go ahead and listen to the "expert" and keep driving it. I'll see ya on the side of the road not long after that mark.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Apr 2016 at 01:21 pm.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 01:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The only thing that the 100K mark represents is that you can request a licence plate frame saying you made it and that the expected design, PT Cruiser made it for its design manufactured serviceable life. Beyond that than "old School" thoughts start to become common with such things claimed to be ready to fail starting at one hundred thousand and 1 miles. lol

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 17 Apr 2016, 03:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: New Purchase 09 Cruiser

I didn't mean to start any quarrels over myths as my 02 went 124432 miles before it left me 126 miles from home. I do know of several PT owners who have 120-140,000 miles on their cars w/o any problems. I did stop on I20 yesterday and gave a PT owner a lift into Augusta after his had snapped. He had just over 120,000. I guess it's just luck. I can't see having it changed before it breaks but ending up on the side of the road is a baaaad feeling.
Rock Auto is my choice when a new set is required.
I just might offer him 2800 and take my chances. It's silver, auto and in excellent condition. Doubt if it's ever been over 60 mph.
Thanks for all the help. I was hoping they had come up with a stronger belt but the $1200 cost is what helps keep the dealer in business.
It took me exactly 6 hours and 15 minutes to do my 02. Read all the tricks on the job here and went to it. I'm not a mechanic but can follow directions pretty good. Not a whole lot of room to work in but manageable.
Appreciate all the help.
Bob
Old 17 Apr 2016, 03:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Carey 3 letter.. A S E !

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Closed Thread