Advertisements
Fan not working, overheating issue

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By lmarkie74

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Apr 2016, 09:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fan not working, overheating issue

I have looked at several posts of this forum, that have to do with fans not working. Seems pretty common.

My daughter's 2001 PT Cruiser overheated and I noticed the fan was not turning. I replaced the fan and immediately the High fan came on with the A/C controls on. Low fan came on shortly after I turned the A/C off.

2 days went by and I received a text message from her saying the car had over heated again. She got it home and now the fan is not working on high or low. New fan. I checked the fan with an external power source. Center ground to outside terminal, fan ran. Other outside terminal to ground ran the fan. Checked the high speed fan relay, relay worked fine. Checked the low speed fan relay, relay worked fine. Checked continuity and also power from PDC yellow wire to fan, was fine. Checked continuity and also power from PDC green wire to fan, was fine.

Today thought I'd take a gamble and see if the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor would make it work. Even though the old ECT ohmed out the same as the old one, and the voltage reading was the same hooked up, I used it anyway. Still no fan.

Remove the PDC and twisted it over to look for any loose wiring. Checked every connection on the back side for looseness. Everything was fine and no cut or shorted wires.

I am running out of things to try. Can anyone help?
Old 18 Apr 2016, 10:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Fan not working, overheating issue

Check the fan relays. Should be in the fuse box under the hood. They're interchangeable with the horn relay, etc. They all have the same #. Swap them around and see what happens.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 11:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Check the fan relays. Should be in the fuse box under the hood. They're interchangeable with the horn relay, etc. They all have the same #. Swap them around and see what happens.
Did the swapping thing, also ran power to 85 to 86 on relay. Solenoid clicked and I did a continuity check at 30 to 87. No resistance.

Check all the relays in PDC. All relays were working and had continuity.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 11:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Schematic-PT-Cruiser 2001 radiator fan circuit.jpg

I would suggest checking the ground wire going to the left front inner fender (G100). They are known to have corrosion underneath all the wires wrapped together at the inner fender.

Also check the radiator fan plug. When I got my first radiator fan the plug on it was bad. One of the pins was pushed inside barely making contacts. Good thing I checked as I would not have liked the engine to start overheating.

Also check to see if the radiator fan circuit is working properly by removing the low speed relay and then when you start the engine the high speed should automatically come on. This will tell you the radiator fan circuit is working properly.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 19 Apr 2016 at 12:09 am.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 12:41 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarkie74 View Post
I have looked at several posts of this forum, that have to do with fans not working. Seems pretty common.

My daughter's 2001 PT Cruiser overheated and I noticed the fan was not turning. I replaced the fan and immediately the High fan came on with the A/C controls on. Low fan came on shortly after I turned the A/C off.

2 days went by and I received a text message from her saying the car had over heated again. She got it home and now the fan is not working on high or low. New fan. I checked the fan with an external power source. Center ground to outside terminal, fan ran. Other outside terminal to ground ran the fan. Checked the high speed fan relay, relay worked fine. Checked the low speed fan relay, relay worked fine. Checked continuity and also power from PDC yellow wire to fan, was fine. Checked continuity and also power from PDC green wire to fan, was fine.

Today thought I'd take a gamble and see if the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor would make it work. Even though the old ECT ohmed out the same as the old one, and the voltage reading was the same hooked up, I used it anyway. Still no fan.

Remove the PDC and twisted it over to look for any loose wiring. Checked every connection on the back side for looseness. Everything was fine and no cut or shorted wires.

I am running out of things to try. Can anyone help?
I ran into the exact same scenario on my NA 03. I found the wiring harness connector to the fan was burned (heat damaged) on the female ground (center) pin. Pull the connector apart to check between the pins..

If you find the same thing, either run a ground from the left fender grounding bolts behind the battery to the fan side of the connector or my fix was to skin the center wire about 1 and 1/2 inches on each side of the connector ( doesn't need to be close to the connector) and solder a jumper around the connector. I tried using a male female slip connector but it over heated too. Once I soldered the jumper around the connector, no more problems.
Use at least the same size wire to carry the load.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 19 Apr 2016 at 12:43 am.
Old 20 Apr 2016, 06:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you PTCruiserSteve and JoeX,

That's what it was. Last night I went home and looked at the connector on the fan side. Sure enough, the middle terminal was melted around it about 1/8" on my new fan. I used a quick connector to connect a ground wire to the middle black wire or the fan connector and crimped a ring crimp to the other end of the new ground wire and bolted it to existing ground inside the left inner fender.

Worked perfectly. High speed comes on with the A/C and low speed comes on at approximately 210 degrees. The old fan that was replaced with this new one had the same problem. Guess this old fan is my replacement fan if I every need it. Lesson learned............don't weed out a part because it is new. I knew that. Just didn't apply it this time.

Thank you everybody, again.

Have a great day!