Manual timing belt tensioner vs auto belt tensioner

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 2 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2016, 05:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Manual timing belt tensioner vs auto belt tensioner

My 04 PT cruiser has I think it's the manual timing belt tensioner on it my question is could I put the auto timing belt tensioner on it instead?? For one reason is that there is a very few of the manual tensioner kits out there for sale. Please help me with this if I can do it or not
Old 19 Apr 2016, 06:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Manual timing belt tensioner vs auto belt tensioner

Why do you say there are very few manual timing belt tensioners out there. I counted 7 on RockAuto for the 2004 PT Cruiser. Truth be told, I'm not sure what an "auto" timing belt tensioner looks like or if anyone even makes one for the PT.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...tensioner,5721

Last edited by CREWZIN; 19 Apr 2016 at 06:06 pm.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 06:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'm sorry I was looking under the timing belt kits and didn't see allot of the manual tensioner in the kits, I see more of the auto tensioner instead, the only reason why I call it a manual tensioner for is because the tensioner on our 01 PT cruiser has a spring so you got a little hole on that tensioner you put a little rod in to stop the tensioner from springing back when you have the tensioner in the release position then you pull the rod out of the tensioner and it puts tension on the timing belt and that's it, now on the 04 we have to keep spinning the tensioner until there's tension on the belt then you tighten the bolt on the tensioner that's what I call a manual tensioner. I don't know for sure just guessing from what I've done on both, I've replaced both timing belts on both cars so I've seen both types of tensioners. Thanks
Old 20 Apr 2016, 08:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The older style tensioner is often referred to as the "grenade pin" tensioner. The newer one is an adjustable tensioner. Your 2004 will have the newer one.

Most believe the adjustable design is an improvement. With a slight modification to dust cover, the adjustable tensioner can be installed on PT's that originally came with the grenade pin tensioner. Many members have done this and there are several good threads. However, I haven't seen any threads where someone installed the older grenade pin tensioner on a newer PT that did not come with it.

The only advantage I can see to the older grenade pin tensioner is ease of installation. You just pull the pin and the tension is set. This avoids the tedious work of adjusting the tension against the timing belt by aligning the end of the spring between the tabs. But again, many believe the newer adjustable tensioner is a better design and worth the extra work.
Old 20 Apr 2016, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Todd the term "grenade pin" tensioner is really not used in the professional or DIY world of auto reapirs.
But good find on the internet though!

Carey......lol

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Apr 2016 at 02:27 pm.
Old 20 Apr 2016, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
You know most of the time I just smile about these responses between you and I.
Maybe you should just stick to doing that.

Lynn, just because you changed your response, don't mean it doesn't get posted.
red06limited likes this.
Old 20 Apr 2016, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well Lynn since your the only certified car technician to respond on this. I will just say you should post your help on our cruisers more so than the rest of us. Feel free to correct what I am going to say. Both tensioner are both automatic. Both have spring to allow give. The two just set up differently.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Apr 2016, 03:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's just too bad he has to throw all his insults, bragging, bullying and other BS in with his expert advice. He just can't help somebody, he has to belittle anyone else that anything to say. His advice or nothing.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 06:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks guys for all the responses, I'll stick with the tensioner I got on the car right now I just thought I could go with the one that you just pull the pin and the tension is set that one seems so much easier to use then the one you have to set the tension. But thanks guys I'm kinda afraid to try switching because it's never been done so I don't know if I want to try it.
Old 11 May 2016, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The older pin stile is not drilled for the newer plastic cover that has one extra bolt hole. Looks like this was added to stop the center of the plastic cover from rubbing against the timing belt. The adjustable one is drilled for the extra bolt. I.E the old one is drilled for two mounting bolts, the new one is drilled for two mounting bolts and one cover mounting bolt.

Last edited by psmith32; 11 May 2016 at 02:00 pm.