Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine, Alternator, and QUESTIONS!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2016, 12:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Engine, Alternator, and QUESTIONS!

Hello!

Please pardon anything I'm doing wrong, but I am new to forums (in general) and PT Cruisers (just nabbed one today)! I can't wait for it to be up and running because it's my first car (no name yet, I'm afraid). There are several issues with the car, but I grew up with one so I'm excited to fix her up.

First off, I'm 21 and a mother to a beautiful daughter who will soon be one, a step-mom to two older kids, and a life partner to my boyfriend. This car is perfect for my lifestyle! I adore my mini hears already (lol).

I'm going to say right off the bat: not sure what year it is. My "mother-in-law" needed money and sold it to me for $200. Haven't even gotten it over to my place yet. It hasn't been driven or moved in years. It will need:

- new brake lines
- new engine
- new alternator
- oil change

I have a few big questions and several small. First, are all 2.4 PT engines interchangeable? What about alternators? What oil do you guys suggest I use? Does it matter what brand of break lines I use? Am I forgetting anything else other than putting air in the tires and windshield fluid in the car? It's sat for well over a year. The outside is sun bleached but that's all cosmetics. I can say it's between a 2002-2005 (or so says my MIL).

That's all my inquiries for now, thanks in advance!

EDIT: IT IS A 2001 PT CRUISER AND HAS A NON-TURBO ENGINE. HASN'T BEEN DRIVEN SINCE ALMOST 2003. 77K MILES.

Last edited by ZeldaVI; 22 Apr 2016 at 02:18 pm.
Old 20 Apr 2016, 12:53 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Engine, Alternator, and QUESTIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaVI View Post
Hello!

Please pardon anything I'm doing wrong, but I am new to forums (in general) and PT Cruisers (just nabbed one today)! I can't wait for it to be up and running because it's my first car (no name yet, I'm afraid). There are several issues with the car, but I grew up with one so I'm excited to fix her up.

First off, I'm 21 and a mother to a beautiful daughter who will soon be one, a step-mom to two older kids, and a life partner to my boyfriend. This car is perfect for my lifestyle! I adore my mini hears already (lol).

I'm going to say right off the bat: not sure what year it is. My "mother-in-law" needed money and sold it to me for $200. Haven't even gotten it over to my place yet. It hasn't been driven or moved in years. It will need:

- new brake lines
- new engine
- new alternator
- oil change

I have a few big questions and several small. First, are all 2.4 PT engines interchangeable? What about alternators? What oil do you guys suggest I use? Does it matter what brand of break lines I use? Am I forgetting anything else other than putting air in the tires and windshield fluid in the car? It's sat for well over a year. The outside is sun bleached but that's all cosmetics. I can say it's between a 2002-2005 (or so says my MIL).

That's all my inquiries for now, thanks in advance!
Welcome to the Forum form Western PA.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 20 Apr 2016, 01:12 am
Veteran Cruiser

Can I ask why it needs a new engine..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 20 Apr 2016, 04:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Apparently it had an oil leak.
Old 20 Apr 2016, 04:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

(double posted)

Last edited by ZeldaVI; 22 Apr 2016 at 02:20 pm. Reason: (double posted)
Old 20 Apr 2016, 06:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

Welcome to the forum, Zelda. Oil leaks can be fixed. I doubt that you need a new engine. First, you need to get it running in order to find the oil leaks, though. To find out what year it is, open the drivers door and look for a sticker. It will tell you the build date. Let us know. Mine says 08-02 which means it was built in August of 2002, making it an 03 model. We also need to know if it's a turbo engine or not. Open the hood and look at the top of the engine. If it's a turbo, the intake will be stamped with the word Turbo on it. We really need more information. You'll need fresh gas and possibly some starting fluid to get it running. Then a tune up will probably follow. Make sure you check the air intake for critter nests and check all wiring for critter chewing. Squirrels, mice and rats like to make nests in cars that sit. First things first, find out what year and if it's a turbo or not and get back to us.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 20 Apr 2016, 10:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Welcome to the forum, Zelda. Oil leaks can be fixed. I doubt that you need a new engine. First, you need to get it running in order to find the oil leaks, though. To find out what year it is, open the drivers door and look for a sticker. It will tell you the build date. Let us know. Mine says 08-02 which means it was built in August of 2002, making it an 03 model. We also need to know if it's a turbo engine or not. Open the hood and look at the top of the engine. If it's a turbo, the intake will be stamped with the word Turbo on it. We really need more information. You'll need fresh gas and possibly some starting fluid to get it running. Then a tune up will probably follow. Make sure you check the air intake for critter nests and check all wiring for critter chewing. Squirrels, mice and rats like to make nests in cars that sit. First things first, find out what year and if it's a turbo or not and get back to us.
Thanks for "talking me through" this! I will get this information and update this post.
Old 20 Apr 2016, 10:41 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaVI View Post
Thanks for "talking me through" this! I will get this information and update this post.
Pictures would help also

Does this Cruiser start, is it running..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 20 Apr 2016, 10:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I see you are from the same state as Handy_Cruiser?
You may pm him as he might be able to take you on as a personal project to help out. He actually has had good hands on experience with PT Cruisers and will diligently work on problems to the end only resolving them.

I recommend contacting him in your case because to use a phrase "to many surgeons will kill the patient". If you get my meaning?
chuzz likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Apr 2016, 02:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: Engine, Alternator, and QUESTIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I see you are from the same state as Handy_Cruiser?
You may pm him as he might be able to take you on as a personal project to help out. He actually has had good hands on experience with PT Cruisers and will diligently work on problems to the end only resolving them.

I recommend contacting him in your case because to use a phrase "to many surgeons will kill the patient". If you get my meaning?
I understand totally! I gave him a shout-out. Thanks!

Tags
alternator, engine, information, motor