Spark plugs and wires

Like Tree8Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Apr 2016, 12:26 am
Regular Cruiser

Question Spark plugs and wires

I have a 2006, 5spd Man with 115,000 miles

What are the best wires and plugs? What's the gap?

Thank you!
Old 21 Apr 2016, 01:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Spark plugs and wires

Is it turbo? It makes a difference.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 06:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

Stay with what your signature says you have on it now. Mopars run best on Champions.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 07:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

For a 2006 non-turbo PT, the standard plug will be the Champion Copper Plug plug #443 RE16MC gapped at about .040". Older specs still say .050". You may have a sticker under the hood to confirm this.

Personally, I don't like Champion plugs. Back in the day, we had all kinds of problems with them. And even today, they often run like crap in some industrial engines. My Wisconsin V4 flat head runs much better on NKG or even Autolite. And I prefer NKG plugs that were actually made in Japan when I can get them. Unfortunately PT Cruisers do not come with Wisconsin flat heads, so my dislike of Champion plugs for the PT may not be warranted.

But like your choice of soft drink, spark plug choice for regular street driving is mainly just personal preference. So these threads often end in arguments. We might as well be debating Cherry Coke vs. Diet Pepsi. But in the end, just get a good name brand plug and gap it correctly and you will be good to go.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Apr 2016 at 08:05 am.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 08:23 am
Regular Cruiser

Turbos seem happy to run on copper plugs. Works for me, because copper plugs are cheaper!

I have noticed that Chrysler seems to be switching slowly over to NGK plugs.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Champion Copper Spark plugs and for maximum benefits the gap should be set at *.042.

*I have personally tested the best for the best gap to use on 2.4 Turbo Charged PT Cruiser engine.

The MSD wires mentioned would be the better of the top choices to use on ALL Pt Cruiser engines

The choice of spark plugs and recommendations from most people usually comes from isolated experience or simply what they have been led to believe from others. Most bad opinion of a specific spark plugs are generally a poor ignition system or poor ignition parts that support the spark plug during its fire cycle. If you contact most manufactures of spark plugs and actually have a good conversation with them they will tell you the simple fact that if you properly gap them for your application use and install them correctly and that the rest of your ignition system is healthy most all single ground conventional spark plugs are really the same between manufactures. That is to say that in their operating environment of the combustion chamber one is no better than the other.

We have at least one electrical engineer on this forum that might respond to support and perhaps in a technical explanation go into why my statement is more valid then some already posted here.

Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Apr 2016 at 06:55 pm. Reason: Words aren't edited, only insults to other members. Ed
Old 21 Apr 2016, 09:32 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
[B]
The MSD wires mentioned would be the better of the top choices to use on ALL Pt Cruiser engines
Modernperformance said :
" Both MSD and Granatelli have been very good quality wires for us. We overall prefer Granatelli as they have been less expensive than MSD though."
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
CHRYSLER VOYAGER 3.8 AWD 1997
CHRYSLER VOYAGER 2.5 CRD 2003
Old 21 Apr 2016, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippov View Post
Modernperformance said :
" Both MSD and Granatelli have been very good quality wires for us. We overall prefer Granatelli as they have been less expensive than MSD though."
MSD has a great and well known Technical department that will give you all the data and technical information about all their products.
https://www.msdperformance.com/

Unfortunately there are some "wild" claims of what their product can do and trying to get any technical information from Granatelli is difficult?
Granatelli Motorsports
Because of that very reason I will not use Granatelli wires or recommend their use.

Oh and for those that may want to take the time to call Champion with their complaints about Champion Spark Plugs or maybe just learn about them here is their contact info. LOL

Contact Champion Auto Parts | Customer Service and Support

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Apr 2016 at 06:55 pm. Reason: Words aren't edited, only insults to other members. Ed
Old 21 Apr 2016, 10:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedPTBruiser View Post
Turbos seem happy to run on copper plugs. Works for me, because copper plugs are cheaper!

I have noticed that Chrysler seems to be switching slowly over to NGK plugs.
Yep. Fiat/Chrysler is likely getting a better deal on NGK and I am sure the quality is as good or better than anything they got from Champion. Also, I found that in the 2004 TB where Chrysler changes the gap to .040", they call out both Champion and NKG plug numbers. Here's a page from that:

http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/...cture_008a.jpg

This is sad but many of these old American companies have had a really hard time, or they have resisted, meeting modern quality control standards. And ISO 9001 is really just a white wash. I did integrated ISO auditor training a couple of years ago. And it was a joke. (The OHSAS 18001 safety standard is too).

I figure as the older managers and engineer retire, things continue to improve at Champion. I wouldn't be surprised if the Champion plugs today aren't at least in the same class of quality as European and Japanese plugs. But being a primary OEM supplier appears to have always been a major part of the business model for Champion. If they loose out, it might eventually mean the company's demise. I hope not.

Another good plug choice for the non-turbo PT are the NKG Iridium plugs. I used these in my 2001 PT. You can see the part number on the box, but the plugs must be properly re-gapped.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Apr 2016 at 10:17 am.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 10:33 am
Senior Cruiser

I have always liked and had good luck with Champions. Big block Mopar guys used to swear by Autolites, but there may have been a change in their quality lately.

The internet is full of people that love NGKs, but I have historically hated them. My hatred comes from the fact that as a kid, in my dirt bike they would foul about 5 times faster than the Champions. At one point I read that NGKs were excellent plugs, but more likely to fuel foul than others. 2 stroke dirt bikes are not the most exacting in fuel mixture, which may have been the cause of my hate. With an EFI car they are probably awesome.

The story I used to read about using standard plugs on turbo cars was supposedly because the platinum and other specialty plugs have a thin coating which can flake off after use in the heat of a turbo environment. I don't know how true it is, but the biggest advantage of platinum plugs is longevity and with a turbo car (particularly with an aluminum intake that doesn't require removal) you should just change them more often. I use platinum on my Stealth because you have to take half the car apart to change the rear 3 plugs, but in turbo 4s I stick with standard plugs and change them more often.
NitroPT likes this.