PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another over heating problem!!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2016, 11:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Another over heating problem!!

Hi my name is Claudine and I own a 2003 LE Pt Cruiser. Until recently my car drove just fine and than on Dec 20,2015 all Hell broke lose.
So my husband Jon took the car to Pepboys and here is the whole list after the car overheated that got replaced and fixed which includes the price for each New item:
Ignition $59 Ignition Lock Cylinder $124.40 Water Pump $648 Timing Belt $270 Radiator $258 Engine Mount .1 $111. Engine Mount .2 $74.22
Radiator removal Labor $216 Engine removal labor $108 Anti Freeze Removal Disposal $1.60 Complete Coolant Exchange $85.49 Coolant $61.02 Proline LL Full STR $26.98 GOPRO PRO Step FS $6.99 Radiator Hose Package $155.38
Removal and replacement labor $91.80 Upper Radiator $33.32 Lower Radiator Hose $36.57 Camshaft Seal $20.30 Crankshaft $44.50 Breather Hose $64.34
Stant Blister Pack Radia $10.51 New Key Reprogramming $39.60 New Fan Blade $498.60 Thermostat 195F $8.09 Gasket Thermostat Housing $4.99 Filler Neck and Thermo $14.99
So now after all of this had been replaced with new items we thought ok all done just get a new set of tires and we are good to go.
Well yeah we where at peace for a few months and than yesterday 4/22/2016 I was driving my car to Kissimmee and suddenly as I arrived on Michigan St y car started an alarm and I looked and my car had overheated and was in the red. So I pulled over and let it cool down, called my hubbie and he told me that a mile down the road was a Pepboys store. So I limped my Cruiser to them. For 3 and a half hours I sat there waiting on a diagnosis on what may be wrong this time. So they said that my new thermostat was sticking and not letting water through the hose on the bottom of the radiator. So ok after all that waiting I limped all the way from Kissimmee back on home to Palm Bay. But on the way my car overheated 3 times so I had to pull over and let it cool. After making it back into town I pulled my car over at a Walgreens and let it seat in the meanwhile a friend went to get my husband and took us to the part store and he purchased a new thermostat at a total of $29.89 all included housing etc....!! well early this morning Jon took out our old new thermostat and saw nothing wrong with it and put the new one in. So we thought the problem would be solved but not so. He tried to drive up I-95 to go to work and elas he made it up to Rockledge and had to exit and seat and let the car cool. After a while he made it to Pepboys on Palm Bay Rd. and now we wait and see what else now need fixing. So far we been told that we are under warranty but if it is anything not related to what has been fixed all the costs are on us. I will let you all know what happened after they call us with either simple news or terribly bad news. Will keep you posted!!!
Alright my husband is at Pepboys and they figured out what is wrong why the car is overheating. It is the fan assembly it went broke so now needs total replacement total cost with labor $650 that is it. I will be posting the details of costs here tomorrow.
Alright I do think Crewzin is right and I should start looking for a private non chain trusted mechanic. They do devote more time to a car and get it done right the first time. I kinda lost trust now because of all the things that went wrong and they did not look for the very first time around.!!!

Last edited by Busysoapbee; 22 Apr 2016 at 12:43 pm.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 11:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Another over heating problem!!

Claudine, welcome to the forum.

The problem isn't the car Claudine, it's where you are taking it to be fixed. You need to find a trusted mechanic to thoroughly diagnose the overheating problem. Just because they have a patch or two stitched to their shoulder, most are still under the guidelines of the management of the place they work for. Time is money and they don't/can't spend the proper time for diagnosis. The more cars they work on, the parts they push, looks good on their work record. Try and ask around for a non-chain store garage that know what they are doing and have the time to do it.
Busysoapbee likes this.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 11:43 am
Senior Cruiser

You are dealing with a 13 year old car and acting like the car is problematic? Seems a bit much. That's like complaining that your 2003 1st round draft pick is a bust because he isn't all-pro anymore.

I am assuming that Pep Boys put in the new thermostat. I would make sure that you have a record that the 2nd Pep Boys claimed the thermostat was the problem. Then blame every single problem on Pep Boys installing a faulty thermostat. There may be problems beyond what was previously done, but they would still be the result of overheating. I would jump up and down and scream that from the mountain tops. They already soaked you for $3K. They might make it right.

I am very worried that you kept overheating it. Did you make sure the coolant was full? Good chance you may have a head gasket or other problems now. If you shut the car down as soon as it starts getting hot you might be fine, but you can't "overheat" a car repeatedly and expect it to survive.
CREWZIN likes this.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I can understand that I should find a trusted mechanic and that is just not easy because I been ripped off so many times by private mechanics. Stating that they are pros. The good thing is on every item Pepboys gave us a great discount so I cannot complain these prices are after discount that is. And we depend on our car for our own personal daily businesses that we must keep running. So there was no time to start shopping for private mechanics. And with Pepboys we have all the stuff under warranty. All though since we did not had the fan replaced by Pepboys it is not under warranty. So we must pay another $650 for the whole fan assembly that went broke. Now how come they did not see that when they took the engine apart the first time makes me question their professionalism.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 12:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You are right though I will shop for a private non chain car mechanic big time like in the good old days. I totally agree with you. What shocked me so darn much is that so much went wrong with the car even though we kept up the maintenance but we bought in 2009 used with a clean bill of health. But now I am not sure if I should sell it or not since so much now has been fixed on it and I actually understand my cruiser Engine and know all the stuff now. I thank you for your kind reply!
Old 22 Apr 2016, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The Fan assembly went bad and needs to be replaced. Oh no I did not let it overheat as soon as the first alarm sounded I pulled over let it cool completely and took it to Pepboys. They did misdiagnosed it yesterday in Kissimmee. Today the Pepboys here in Palm Bay took it apart and found the problem. So now after it is all fixed up and they got their $650 all should be fine. They did check and no damage was done either to the head gasket no warping of the head nothing. I acted swiftly and correctly.!!
Old 22 Apr 2016, 12:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

By the way man your car looks amazing nice job...
Old 22 Apr 2016, 12:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busysoapbee View Post
The Fan assembly went bad and needs to be replaced. Oh no I did not let it overheat as soon as the first alarm sounded I pulled over let it cool completely and took it to Pepboys. They did misdiagnosed it yesterday in Kissimmee. Today the Pepboys here in Palm Bay took it apart and found the problem. So now after it is all fixed up and they got their $650 all should be fine. They did check and no damage was done either to the head gasket no warping of the head nothing. I acted swiftly and correctly.!!
If he was driving at anything over 40 MPH and it over heated you have other problems. Fan only works under 35 in most cases.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 22 Apr 2016, 12:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mine thanks. Keep all your receipts handy, keep a closer look at the temperature gauge and like Fk5 said, scream like heck if it goes bad again.

BTW, did you say you paid $650 for a new fan? What happened to those discounts you said they were giving you. The fan is under $100 and a one-handed mechanic could put it in under two hours.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 12:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Hi my name is Claudine and I own a 2003 LE Pt Cruiser. Until recently my car drove just fine and than on Dec 20,2015 all Hell broke lose.
So my husband Jon took the car to Pepboys and here is the whole list after the car overheated that got replaced and fixed which includes the price for each New item:
Ignition $59 Ignition Lock Cylinder $124.40 Water Pump $648 Timing Belt $270 Radiator $258 Engine Mount .1 $111. Engine Mount .2 $74.22
Radiator removal Labor $216 Engine removal labor $108 Anti Freeze Removal Disposal $1.60 Complete Coolant Exchange $85.49 Coolant $61.02 Proline LL Full STR $26.98 GOPRO PRO Step FS $6.99 Radiator Hose Package $155.38
Removal and replacement labor $91.80 Upper Radiator $33.32 Lower Radiator Hose $36.57 Camshaft Seal $20.30 Crankshaft $44.50 Breather Hose $64.34
Stant Blister Pack Radia $10.51 New Key Reprogramming $39.60 New Fan Blade $498.60 Thermostat 195F $8.09 Gasket Thermostat Housing $4.99 Filler Neck and Thermo $14.99
So now after all of this had been replaced with new items we thought ok all done just get a new set of tires and we are good to go.
Well yeah we where at peace for a few months and than yesterday 4/22/2016 I was driving my car to Kissimmee and suddenly as I arrived on Michigan St y car started an alarm and I looked and my car had overheated and was in the red. So I pulled over and let it cool down, called my hubbie and he told me that a mile down the road was a Pepboys store. So I limped my Cruiser to them. For 3 and a half hours I sat there waiting on a diagnosis on what may be wrong this time. So they said that my new thermostat was sticking and not letting water through the hose on the bottom of the radiator. So ok after all that waiting I limped all the way from Kissimmee back on home to Palm Bay. But on the way my car overheated 3 times so I had to pull over and let it cool. After making it back into town I pulled my car over at a Walgreens and let it seat in the meanwhile a friend went to get my husband and took us to the part store and he purchased a new thermostat at a total of $29.89 all included housing etc....!! well early this morning Jon took out our old new thermostat and saw nothing wrong with it and put the new one in. So we thought the problem would be solved but not so. He tried to drive up I-95 to go to work and elas he made it up to Rockledge and had to exit and seat and let the car cool. After a while he made it to Pepboys on Palm Bay Rd. and now we wait and see what else now need fixing. So far we been told that we are under warranty but if it is anything not related to what has been fixed all the costs are on us. I will let you all know what happened after they call us with either simple news or terribly bad news. Will keep you posted!!!
Alright my husband is at Pepboys and they figured out what is wrong why the car is overheating. It is the fan assembly it went broke so now needs total replacement total cost with labor $650 that is it. I will be posting the details of costs here tomorrow.
Alright I do think Crewzin is right and I should start looking for a private non chain trusted mechanic. They do devote more time to a car and get it done right the first time. I kinda lost trust now because of all the things that went wrong and they did not look for the very first time around.!!!
Quote:
Yeah I can understand that I should find a trusted mechanic and that is just not easy because I been ripped off so many times by private mechanics. Stating that they are pros. The good thing is on every item Pepboys gave us a great discount so I cannot complain these prices are after discount that is. And we depend on our car for our own personal daily businesses that we must keep running. So there was no time to start shopping for private mechanics. And with Pepboys we have all the stuff under warranty. All though since we did not had the fan replaced by Pepboys it is not under warranty. So we must pay another $650 for the whole fan assembly that went broke. Now how come they did not see that when they took the engine apart the first time makes me question their professionalism.

If you didn't get the cooling fan replaced, what is the fan blade..??
Fk5 likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost