Fan & A/C info? (New car puzzle)

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By uncomn
  • 2 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2016, 07:30 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Fan & A/C info? (New car puzzle)

Will try and keep this as brief/blunt as poss

Bought used PT(cheap but with potential!), driven it for a month to get to know it's problems well, and have dealt with some, waiting on parts and tools for others, but here's the main thing I'm yet to tackle, but have been reading up here &elsewhere... There are just some things I'd like to be sure of if you can help:

My car has had the fan hard wired to a pull out switch next to the mirror adjust controls inside, a neat job to be fair, the bright coloured wire under bonnet clearly goes to the high speed relay. All works fine ,I usually turn it on once the needle gets to half, or just even leave it on all the time(it turns off on push in or key out)

Here's what I'm wondering, I've read the fan has things attached to it, what are they exactly and what do they do?, I've also read A/C will only work with low speed fan?! (Not high? Why not?) my A\C does not work! Neither does the cruise control (unrelated but with this car so many things seem to relate to each other!!) , and I'm still to find the cause of a misfire\idle issue that like I say I'm waiting on parts (coil&HT leads) on Monday, and I've just ordered a low pressure gauge for the A\C to aid in that diagnosis...(was thinking about trying to recharge it before any other tinkering/guessing)I would add I could live with the mcguiver fan set up but not at the expense of other functions, (although i don't really need the A\C here it don't get that hot, would be nice) and obviously I could be opening a whole new can of worms getting a new fan, be it for cost or whatever reason they did it for at the time, I'm guessing that the auto Electrician was cheaper than the dealer part and labour but who knows? Not me!

(((Also right now here the situation with Chrysler is that they have pulled out of the UK and if I want any stuff that the smaller stores don't carry I have to drive 45mins to nearest Jeep/Fiat franchise and order parts shipped from Italy. Also worth noting is the lack of any real knowledge of garages on American cars here(there are so few around) that I do think I'm better armed with the Haynes and you guys, and am somewhat enjoying the new learning . (Although driving mainly beamers in the past I've never had to bother lifting the bonnet!! (Oil and water checks only!) now I know all the bits of an engine!!! lol) but to be fair I think there's a bit of neglect to blame in this case also, partly back to the American car servicing problems here again&cost of. First lady owner had it 8 years, then 2 or 3 others.)))
VsandFords likes this.

2005 GT 2.4 Dark Plum Pearl
Old 24 Apr 2016, 08:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fan & A/C info? (New car puzzle)

To answer one question, both speeds of the radiator fan are needed for proper operation of the A/C system. Wherever you read that the A/C doesn't work with the high speed is wrong.

It does sound like one of the previous owners didn't want to shell out the funds to replace the fan once it stopped working properly.

Start with charging up the a/C with proper gauges. Nothing is going to work right if that isn't done and it maybe the only reason the A/C isn't working. The fan isn't the reason the A/C isn't working and you need to find out if the system will hold a charge at the proper levels before you start throwing parts at it.
VsandFords and uncomn like this.
Old 24 Apr 2016, 08:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the low speed on the radiator fan by applying 12 volts to it.

If the low speed on the radiator fan is good then you need to check the radiator fan circuit to find out why its not working correctly. You might want to check and make sure all wires going to the A/C is hooked up and the engine coolant sensor is working properly.
uncomn likes this.
Old 09 May 2016, 03:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

still need to do steves tips on this, been busy with other areas first, i did recieve a valve tester and checked both lines for pressure and there is nothing in both........not sure what that tells me other than its empty....but why im guessing .......? hmm dunno? its been depressurised? why? its depleated itself? why?

2005 GT 2.4 Dark Plum Pearl