Here we go again! Cooling problem

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2016, 04:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Here we go again! Cooling problem

Hi guys-

Sorry it's been a while since I last posted, been real busy with the kids having grand kids (total of 5 now). Needles to say, papa and grandmas house is real busy.

Anyways, in a attempt to get away for the weekend we had some issues with Mater getting hot. Seems to only happen at speed and after about 30 miles of driving. Back and forth to town (bout 20 miles) no problem. Never got more than 220-230*, to nurse mater to our destination, I could coast mater on the down hills to get temp down but as soon as I would go back under load the temp would go back up. Using the same method of driving to get back home, I dug into mater to find out what is wrong.

Checked all the norm, tstat, fans (high and low), cap, overflow tube, etc. how ever when the engine is at operating temp, using my ir temp gauge the difference in temp between the top radiator hose and the botom is no more than about 20* I would think it would be more than that. So I'm leaning towards a clogged radiator opposed to a head gasket.

Or maybe I'm wrong, what you guys think? Keep in mind, anyone that knows of me here, this is on my new engine I just built about 16k ago.

Thanks in advance!
Old 25 Apr 2016, 04:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Here we go again! Cooling problem

I'd flush the radiator and heater core. Sounds like there's a slight blockage in one or the other. But, I don't know much of anything.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 25 Apr 2016, 07:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sean call me....
PM sent with new number...
Charlie and others he is a friend and may have misplaced my number.
We will also get him up on the 3 amigos signature as well. LOL
chuzz likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 25 Apr 2016 at 07:05 pm.
Old 25 Apr 2016, 08:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

10-4 Lynn, checking my pm now......
Old 26 Apr 2016, 08:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for the reply chuzz-

The flush part was included with the etc. part (lol) of what I have done. Well versed in the 2.4 since I imploded the first engine and built the second one. I do appreciate the input tho! Any opinion is valuable, no matter how good I might think I am, sometimes we can miss the most basic things!

Thanks again!
Old 26 Apr 2016, 09:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabreezai View Post
Hi guys-

Sorry it's been a while since I last posted, been real busy with the kids having grand kids (total of 5 now). Needles to say, papa and grandmas house is real busy.

Anyways, in a attempt to get away for the weekend we had some issues with Mater getting hot. Seems to only happen at speed and after about 30 miles of driving. Back and forth to town (bout 20 miles) no problem. Never got more than 220-230*, to nurse mater to our destination, I could coast mater on the down hills to get temp down but as soon as I would go back under load the temp would go back up. Using the same method of driving to get back home, I dug into mater to find out what is wrong.

Checked all the norm, tstat, fans (high and low), cap, overflow tube, etc. how ever when the engine is at operating temp, using my ir temp gauge the difference in temp between the top radiator hose and the botom is no more than about 20* I would think it would be more than that. So I'm leaning towards a clogged radiator opposed to a head gasket.

Or maybe I'm wrong, what you guys think? Keep in mind, anyone that knows of me here, this is on my new engine I just built about 16k ago.

Thanks in advance!
You probably have a better idea than we do since you know your engine inside out. I would probably do the block test just to rule that out if the radiator checks out good.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 26 Apr 2016 at 10:06 pm.
Old 26 Apr 2016, 10:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

True that Steve-

Will do, just to eleminate that probability. One thing I have not done. Good looking out!

Thanks for the input!
Old 27 Apr 2016, 06:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

Have you replaced the radiator? If not, check the old one for debris build up. Ya know, leaves and feathers and bugs and all the good stuff that cakes in them over the years. Maybe it's just that a lot of the cooling fins as clogged with road crap. IDK, just guessing.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.