Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 turbo won't accelerate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2016, 07:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation 2005 turbo won't accelerate

So I just recently bought a 2005 PT Cruiser turbo S Vin with 149,000 miles on it and it has been unable to be driven for a few weeks now because I can't find what is wrong.

The problem started with the cruise control not working and then as I came up to a shop light after driving about 10 miles, the car lost power and died. I started the car up and was able to drive to my destination. About 2 hours later I tried driving my car around a parking lot and it seemed fine until I turned it off and tried starting it again. It started but then within seconds started chugging and then lost power and died. After that happening multiple times, I decided to let it sit for 24 hours and then take it to a shop. It started and drive fine the next day to the shop. The tech there said I needed injectors and a fuel rail because there was a leak and that was what was causing the problem. So i took it and changed those but then once I tried to start it after, it would start but then after about 5 seconds it would chug and die. There was an obvious leak but that was not the problem.

I have changed the fuel rail, injectors, throttle body gasket, new battery, O2 sensor, and Map sensor, but none of it made any difference even though all of it was actually needing to be replaced. I finally made some progress when I changed the Idle Air control Valve.
The car now idles and can drive, but it does not like to accelerate. The car is throwing the error code of P0171 for a lean mixture. There is a small hose that connects the engine to the air filter box that is not the right hose but I don't know what is supposed to be there. I still can't find what is causing that, does anyone know what it could be?
Thank you for your time!
Old 28 Apr 2016, 08:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 turbo won't accelerate

Fuel System Lean Conditions:

Possible Causes:

Restricted fuel supply line
Fuel pump inlet strainer plugged or fuel pump has failed
O2 Sensor has failed
O2 signal circuit or return circuit has failed
O2 Sensor heater operation is faulty
TP Sensor sweep has failed
MAP Sensor operation has failed
Engine Temperature Sensor operation has failed
Engine mechanical problem is present
Fuel is contaminated
Exhaust leak exists

I would suggest you first check your fuel pressure. Make sure you are getting 57 +/- 5 PSI.

I also would suggest you introduce yourself to the forum and tell us about your PT Cruiser.