PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP!!! P0129 Crank no Start

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2016, 09:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default HELP!!! P0129 Crank no Start

OK.... So here goes it 03 PT Cruiser bought last April ended up having to replace the engine in December engine has 89k miles, new timing belt tensioner and water pump done upon install... THE CAR RAN PERFECT!!!!! Until Monday 04/25/16 I stopped at a restaurant to grab a drink and noticed smoking from the front of the engine after looking over the best I could i determined it must have been my A/C pump due to the connector being broke so I unplugged it and continued on my way home which is 1 1/2 hour drive about 6 miles from my home it decided it was going to die in the middle of the interstate when i say die i mean lost power and transmission slammed into 1st and would not shift nor go above 2k rpm so I pulled off and made it to the closest gas station to find what i believed to be a dead alternator... Starter click no start finally got it home after getting a boost and took alternator off and had it tested at local parts store checked out fine so went back home to put the alt. back on and noticed some burnt wire turns out the positive ground from alt. to Starter had burnt entirely in half at both alt and starter due to some shade tree mechanics decision to splice some wires and use an extension cord to extend the length of the wire my stupidity for not checking before installing the new engine so now here is my problem... I decided to replace the entire engine side wiring which i purchased at a local salvage yard and double checked all wires and connectors for any type of damage it checked out so replaced the wiring and put alt back on tried firing got NOTHING!!! decided to go ahead and replace alt NOW here is where the big problems begins wiring harness changer, alt changed, everything connected properly of course im thinking home stretch but FAR from it after checking to make sure everything was properly connected and installed i tried firing and now im getting crank no start OBDll scanner is reading P0129 POWERTRAIN, Crank shaft, Cam Shaft... first thought was that all sensors must have shorted out at some point so I replaced Cam first to see if it changed and code went away so proceed to Crank cleared PCM and all codes went away except P0129 Powertrain until i tried firing again and crank was back... i have looked high and low for a write up on voltage that runs to all sensors to check and make sure they are getting the correct voltage but have yet to find anything, I am starting to wonder if the alt. may have somehow fried or reset my PCM which is fine $100 at the dealer to reflash is no problem if thats the case but i would love to know if there's a possible way of testing it first to be sure im not wasting money please any advice on this P0129 code and a write up of the correct voltage that runs to all sensors would be GREATLY appreciated tested CAM and was reading 10 Voltz I am almost positive something isnt right about that... Sorry for the long babbling story/ description I am just at a stand point and looking for any answer other than what i have possibly convinced myself of...
Old 29 Apr 2016, 09:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: HELP!!! P0129 Crank no Start

A few users have gotten the coil & cam sensor plugs mixed up...they look the same...switch those 2 & see if it starts.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 29 Apr 2016, 10:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Never even thought to check that but great suggestion i greatly appreciate it!!! Would you happen to know anything about the voltage that runs to the cam sensor when i checked it with a volt meter it was reading 10v?
Old 29 Apr 2016, 10:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I probably should have specified the engine which is the 2.4L non-turbo I read in a few places that the code im getting is for Turbo??
Old 29 Apr 2016, 10:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Barometric Pressure Out-Of-Range Conditions:

Possible Causes:

IAC motor control low or control high circuit has failed
MAP Sensor 5 volt circuit is open or shorted to ground
MAP Sensor signal circuit is open or shorted to ground
MAP Sensor is damaged or it has failed May be an intermittent condition
PCM has failed

Have you checked all your vacuum hoses for leaks?
Old 29 Apr 2016, 10:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Went over entire engine from top to bottom checking everything in my path and everything looks to be in working order, Not getting any codes for Map Sensor or IAC or any other sensor except cam and crank which have both now been replaced and still getting the crank code back after clearing the pcm and cranking...is it possible for the alternator issue to damage the pcm? if anyone could point me in the direction of a voltage chart that would be great I plan to go through and test voltage to all sensors / connectors and make sure there's not any issue with them, Also when I found the burnt positive ground from the alternator to the started i noticed that only the ground had burnt inside the shroud but no other wires were affected what could possibly cause this ground to burn? I don't have any photos but in description both ends were burnt off the ground at the starter and alt. and looked as it they were melted together with a torch.
Old 30 Apr 2016, 08:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Switched connectors around as suggested no more P0129 code and no more sensor codes BIG thank to LionPT but now getting P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction... Could this be limp mode? As I stated in original post when the car died it shifted its self down into 1st? or 2nd? gear and would not accelerate over 2k rpm at 40 mph??
Old 30 Apr 2016, 02:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Check the connector to your solenoid pack on the transmission. Sometimes they get loose. If it's tight, check the solenoid itself to make sure it's still tightly connected to the transmission. If they're both good, I'm out of ideas.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 30 Apr 2016, 05:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Check the connector to your solenoid pack on the transmission. Sometimes they get loose. If it's tight, check the solenoid itself to make sure it's still tightly connected to the transmission. If they're both good, I'm out of ideas.
Pull the connector and make sure it doesn't have oil in it.

What the transmission fluid look like, does it smell burnt or look brown?
You will probably need to take the car to a transmission shop
to get transmission codes .
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 30 Apr 2016, 06:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok here's my update for you all, I switched the connectors as suggested which were in fact hooked up in the wrong places battery was dead due to alt going out so boosted the car to find that it runs perfect again codes have cleared entirely kind of odd not seeing that check engine light on due to what i thought was a bad lower o2 sensor which also turned out to be spliced wires not really sure why the trans code came up but it's something to keep in mind... I am more than thankful for the suggestion I was almost positive the PCM had been damaged, trans fluid is clean and looks fine doesn't smell burnt or anything maybe just a faulty code due to connectors being hooked up wrong because it was gone as soon as the car stated which im assuming that was also the reason I was getting cam and crank code.