PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine won't start no compression I think

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2016, 06:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine won't start no compression I think

My 2002 pt cruiser was running really rough ie hesitating, misfire ect. I changed the plugs and wires and once I got it all back together started it right up. I let it run for about 10 minutes then decided to take it for a drive. Ran it through town for about a half hour then decided to take it on the highway . I was going up the on ramp and once I got to about 45mph the engine just cut out (meaning just stopped running). I checked the codes (got p1684, p0340, p0303, and p0401). When I try to start the car it sounds like the starter is turning the engine but doesn't seem to be getting compression.I checked wirws and plugs and i am getting spark. I ended up changing the ignition coil (just incase) the camshaft position sensor as well. Checked all the wires to everything and it all looks good. Timing belt is good as well (just got replaced when the water pump got replaced). Just getting frustrated and seems I'm putting money into things that is not making it run. Please help!!!!
Old 01 May 2016, 07:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Engine won't start no compression I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout38 View Post
My 2002 pt cruiser was running really rough ie hesitating, misfire ect. I changed the plugs and wires and once I got it all back together started it right up. I let it run for about 10 minutes then decided to take it for a drive. Ran it through town for about a half hour then decided to take it on the highway . I was going up the on ramp and once I got to about 45mph the engine just cut out (meaning just stopped running). I checked the codes (got p1684, p0340, p0303, and p0401). When I try to start the car it sounds like the starter is turning the engine but doesn't seem to be getting compression.I checked wirws and plugs and i am getting spark. I ended up changing the ignition coil (just incase) the camshaft position sensor as well. Checked all the wires to everything and it all looks good. Timing belt is good as well (just got replaced when the water pump got replaced). Just getting frustrated and seems I'm putting money into things that is not making it run. Please help!!!!
If you think you not getting any compression you need to take the intake off and do a compression test on each cylinder. First I would double check that the timing belt was still good and still turning the cams. Did you do the timing belt your self, did you see the old parts after they were removed?
chuzz likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 01 May 2016, 07:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

I agree with Joe. It sure sounds like the timing belt is either stripped or the tensioner on it came loose.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 01 May 2016, 08:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the response so quick. I had to get the water pump replaced so had a Mopar shop do that and also the timing belt since it's a pain in the butt to have to take everything apart again for the belt at a later date. I get a code p0340, as well as a p0303, and also p1684 as well.
Old 01 May 2016, 08:54 am
Veteran Cruiser

But did you CHECK it? That's the question here, not who did it. The 1684 indicates that the TCM has been disconnected or may have a bad connection. Did you disconnect it? The 0340 indicates the Cam Sensor. Have you monkeyed around with it? Disconnect it and see if the car will start. The 0303 is a misfire code for cylinder 3. Could be anything from a fouled plug or wire to an EGR problem. Check the frigging timing belt first. Don't start shot gunning parts at it or you'll never figure it out.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 01 May 2016, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

P0340 - No Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Failure Conditions:

Possible Causes:

Camshaft Sensor connector is damaged, open or it is shorted
Camshaft Sensor signal circuit is open or shorted to ground or to battery voltage or 5 volt supply circuit
Camshaft Sensor 5 volt supply circuit is open or shorted to ground or to battery voltage Sensor ground circuit is open
Camshaft Sensor is damaged or has failed
Crankshaft Sensor is damaged or has failed
PCM has failed

I would suggest diagnosing the P0340 code. Its always good practice to put the original parts back into the PT Cruiser if they don't fix the problem. You might be making it worse if the new parts are not working properly.

There is a clip that holds the wiring harness up to the block going to the crankshaft sensor that breaks and the wiring harness drops down to the half shaft and start rubbing through it shorting wires out. Make sure you check this out as this is a common problem for your year PT Cruiser.

If the wiring harness is okay I would suggest pulling the camshaft sensor and see if the camshaft is turning when you crank the engine. The camshaft sensor is very easy to remove and when you re-install it be careful not to over tighten it. I am aware that the engine is getting spark but this is just to verify the camshaft is turning continuously. This should only take ten minutes.

If the camshaft is turning and you have checked the camshaft sensor, wiring going to the camshaft sensor I would suggest checking the crankshaft sensor and the wiring going to the crankshaft sensor.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 01 May 2016 at 09:47 am.
Old 01 May 2016, 09:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post

Possible Causes:

Camshaft Sensor signal circuit is open or shorted to ground or to battery voltage or 5 volt supply circuit
Camshaft Sensor 5 volt supply circuit is open or shorted to ground or to battery voltage Sensor ground circuit is open
PCM has failed

I would suggest diagnosing the P0340 code.

I would suggest pulling the camshaft sensor and see if the camshaft is turning when you crank the engine. The camshaft sensor is very easy to remove and when you re-install it be careful not to over tighten it.

If the camshaft is turning and you have checked the camshaft sensor, wiring going to the camshaft sensor I would suggest checking the crankshaft sensor and the wiring going to the cranshaft sensor.
I did check the sensor and actually replaced it. I also did check the camshaft and they did turn. I also changed the coIL as well as the egr valve.
Old 01 May 2016, 09:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
But did you CHECK it? That's the question here, not who did it. The 1684 indicates that the TCM has been disconnected or may have a bad connection. Did you disconnect it? The 0340 indicates the Cam Sensor. Have you monkeyed around with it? Disconnect it and see if the car will start. The 0303 is a misfire code for cylinder 3. Could be anything from a fouled plug or wire to an EGR problem. Check the frigging timing belt first. Don't start shot gunning parts at it or you'll never figure it out.
Yes I checked it. Everything is tight and seems to be moving properly. The tensioner also seems to be ok as that is tight. I replaced the camshaft sensor yesterday as well as the ignition coil.
Old 01 May 2016, 09:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post

Possible Causes:

PCM has failed

I would suggest diagnosing the P0340 code. Its always good practice to put the original parts back into the PT Cruiser if they don't fix the problem. You might be making it worse if the new parts are not working properly.

I would suggest pulling the camshaft sensor and see if the camshaft is turning when you crank the engine. The camshaft sensor is very easy to remove and when you re-install it be careful not to over tighten it. I am aware that the engine is getting spark but this is just to verify the camshaft is turning continuously. This should only take ten minutes.

If the camshaft is turning and you have checked the camshaft sensor, wiring going to the camshaft sensor I would suggest checking the crankshaft sensor and the wiring going to the cranshaft sensor.
I did check the camshaft sensor yesterday and the cams are turning. But decided to replace the sensor just to make sure. I will try the crankshaft sensor next. Thank you
Old 01 May 2016, 09:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout38 View Post
I did check the camshaft sensor yesterday and the cams are turning. But decided to replace the sensor just to make sure. I will try the crankshaft sensor next. Thank you
Check the wiring harness going to the crankshaft sensor also.