PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Duralast Slave Cylinder issues

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2016, 06:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Duralast Slave Cylinder issues

Been having trouble with the 5-speed in my 2002. So I decided to change out the slave cylinder. I got this one from Autozone

http://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/c...?checkfit=true

and it has so many issues. It's thicker so I have to get bigger bolts. and no matter what it will not stiffen up and actuate the clutch.

I kind of wish I'd searched on here before swapping it out (very simple...too simple, I know I messed this up) because I see that the pedal may need to be adjusted. Going to try that after I go get longer bolts.

Has anyone had any luck installing this particular slave cylinder?
Old 07 May 2016, 07:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Duralast Slave Cylinder issues

That part says "Vehicle Specific" to Vin "B"...is your 2002 Vin "B"..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 08 May 2016, 12:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You mean the VIN code for a factory 5-speed manual?

This is the most USELESS car forum I have ever been on.
Old 08 May 2016, 03:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastySasquatch View Post

You mean the VIN code for a factory 5-speed manual?

This is the most USELESS car forum I have ever been on.
Really? You get one response asking about your VIN code and say that! You WON'T get any help acting like an a-hole. Good riddance to you. Someone ban this jerk wad.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 08 May 2016, 03:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No, it was because the links on the top sections are useless, there's not even a link to the VIN decoder. I spent hours searching for that a few months ago, so the only response I get being something so buttchugging stupid was just more of the same.

Sorry, I got so spoiled from real car forums that I forgot you can't expect a real response on this. I mean when searching for this issue on the forums there are just as many responses telling you to junk the car and get a new one as there are helpful solutions.

This forum is terrible.

However,

Here is some info on the part.

M6 1/2" long to bolt it in place of the stock part, it's got an almost extra 1/4" of pot metal over the plastic OEM part.

The ID is identical.

I have a few things to try as far as getting it going still. I had to walk to 3 different parts stores to get the vacuum bleed screws. Hate my neighborhood.

I'll report back once I get done vacuum bleeding it.
Old 08 May 2016, 05:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastySasquatch View Post
No, it was because the links on the top sections are useless, there's not even a link to the VIN decoder.
The sticky at the top for the service manual gave me my VIN "decode"

Last edited by VOS; 08 May 2016 at 05:49 pm.
Old 08 May 2016, 06:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

All you would have had to do is check the VIN # on yours to see if the 8th digit was a 9, a B or a G.

Old 08 May 2016, 10:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's also irrelevant. Either you have experience with the part or you don't. If you don't, don't reply. Asking a non-relevant question doesn't make sense.

Yes my Vin has a B. Also if you look at that chart, there is more than 1 B.

OK, got it to work real nice. Took about 45 minutes of actual work, and several hours of staring and thinking. The whole point of trying the Duracrap was the metal body and bleed-able cylinder. The metal body should stand up to the heat better than the plastic. I did need to adjust the clutch rod for the master, I think the duracrap needs slightly more fluid. Shifts better than it did new from the dealer.

The real test will be driving to work tomorrow. Needed 1/2" M6 screws to mount it to the body.

Last edited by NastySasquatch; 08 May 2016 at 10:57 pm.
Old 09 May 2016, 07:15 am
Veteran Cruiser

Having worked for Autozone MANY years ago, I can agree with your assessment of DURACRAP. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you even got the wrong part, even if the # on the box is correct. I don't shop at Autozone for that very reason. BUT necessity is the mother of invention, and it seems like you did what you needed to to make the part work. I really hope it works out for you and you get good service from it. There's nothing like having to do the same job twice or three or four times, for that matter!

Old 09 May 2016, 09:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Having worked for Autozone MANY years ago, I can agree with your assessment of DURACRAP. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you even got the wrong part, even if the # on the box is correct. I don't shop at Autozone for that very reason. BUT necessity is the mother of invention, and it seems like you did what you needed to to make the part work. I really hope it works out for you and you get good service from it. There's nothing like having to do the same job twice or three or four times, for that matter!
That's pretty sad. I worked at Autozone for several years while in college. And even a year after that in the evenings to keep my family health insurance. I was working then at a quality control lab for Weyerhaeuser, but it was through a subcontractor and the benefits sucked.

But my tenure at Autozone started right when they went from Auto Shack to Autozone. About a year after that, the Duralast stuff started coming from what were then new factories in Mexico and made specifically for Autozone. Most of the Duralast stuff was really good back then. We were selling brand new starters and alternators at rebuilt part prices. And the new clutch sets were very good. Carburetors all rebuilt by Holley. And the Duralast batteries were coming from an American vendor, maybe Union Carbide. Overall, the quality of the stuff back then (with the exception of the crappy belts and hoses) was pretty good. I installed at least two (if I remember right) slave cylinders back then. One was a friend's 1970's era Datsun pickup and the other my 280ZX. And both worked perfectly.

It's sad that they don't seem to sell good stuff anymore. I usually go to Advance or O'Reilly nowadays.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 May 2016 at 09:47 am.