Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
p0304 error. Tried everything!!!!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2016, 06:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default p0304 error. Tried everything!!!!

Hi guys! Been lurking around here for a long while, you all have been lots of help. Hoping you can be more help and give me some ideas of where to go from here.
I have a 2006 base model pt with around 120,000 miles. 5 speed manual transmission.

So have had the p0304 error code going on, so far have tried:
-plugs and wires
-coil pack
-valve cover gasket(saw a bit of oil on plug#1)
-intake manifold gaskets
-seafoam

Car seems to run ok, and actually right now when i do the key trick i get no codes. BUT the check engine light is on and when i am sitting in idle for a while the check engine light will start to blink.

Also another thing the car has done since ive had it, if i rev up the engine and tuddenly let off the gas the car will die. not sure if related.

Thanks for any insight!
Old 09 May 2016, 07:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: p0304 error. Tried everything!!!!

First, have you used an OBDII reader to clear the code and then watch to see when it comes back? Do that first if you can.

Next, spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid around the intake manifold while the car is running. See if the idle changes. If so, it's a likely intake leak.

If no joy, pull #4 plug and see what it looks like. Check the wires again and swap #1 and #4 wire. See if that helps.

Then do a compression check. I've seen a couple of threads where the valves where not seated well from the factory and eventually leak. This happens most often on #4. I blame Chrysler's production engineer for that.

If you find nothing else wrong, it's time to look at fuel pressure and #4 injector. But these appear to be rare problems on a PT Cruiser. If the code doesn't just clear up when cleared with a reader, then my money would be on a manifold leak somewhere.

And while I've been turning wrenches since I've been in diapers and worked professionally on big trucks and heavy equipment when young, I'm now a Safety Engineer among other things and a DIY guy like you. So buyer beware.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 May 2016 at 07:25 pm.
Old 09 May 2016, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you buy an OBDII Scan Tool. You are buying more parts for the PT Cruiser that costs more than a Scan Tool. I don't trust the key method to tell me what all the engine trouble codes are.

Replacing parts trying to fix a problem can be very expensive and not recommended.

You might want to check and make sure the hose going from the PCV to the intake manifold is not cracking or leaking. The hose is known for leaking next to the intake manifold where you can't see it very well.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 09 May 2016 at 07:49 pm.
Old 09 May 2016, 11:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a code P0303 that I can't solve. My husband says that chrysler dealership can test the sensors or he thinks they can for some of them. I live a mile from the dealership going to call them tomorrow to see what and if they can test the sensors.
Old 10 May 2016, 01:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danajcoop View Post
I have a code P0303 that I can't solve. My husband says that chrysler dealership can test the sensors or he thinks they can for some of them. I live a mile from the dealership going to call them tomorrow to see what and if they can test the sensors.
I would suggest posting what has been done to try and fix the P0303 code.
Old 10 May 2016, 07:35 am
Senior Cruiser

That's not everything...

Fuel pressure? Did you check it? When you had the manifold off for the plugs and wires did you pull the fuel rail and swap injectors? Buy new O-rings (8!) and swap them around and see if the code follows the injector or stays on #4.

Don't run the car with the check engine light blinking. If it does it at idle I would assume that it is running rich at that time and the flash is to warn you that unburned gas will screw your catalytic converter.

I'm not sure of the stalling when revving the engine and suddenly letting off gas, but I will say that my car had an intake leak and in similar conditions (getting on it hard and then letting off the gas) I would get a fairly strong fuel odor in the car. On my car it turned out to be an intake gasket that was blocking the #4 injector port. Seems similar. N/A cars should have the composite manifold which is not as prone to blowing out gaskets as the aluminum turbo manifolds, but they may be more prone to cracking and warping particularly if home mechanics do not torque them properly and/or evenly.
Old 10 May 2016, 08:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

I replaced the upper intake manifold seals but not the lower. I will replace the lower seals today.

The air filter box was cracked at the bottom so I ducktaped it on the inside and out. Is there a strong air suction, should I replace it or gorilla super glue a piece of plastic over the cracked area?
Old 10 May 2016, 09:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
I replaced the upper intake manifold seals but not the lower. I will replace the lower seals today.

The air filter box was cracked at the bottom so I ducktaped it on the inside and out. Is there a strong air suction, should I replace it or gorilla super glue a piece of plastic over the cracked area?
You changed the plugs too, didn't you? Start simple. Swap the #1 and #4 spark plug wires. If you end up with code P0301, then you know it was the wire.

I have heard of a multitude of items supposedly resolving this problem. Intake gasket, injectors, plugs, wires, crank and cam sensors, even a coil - which didn't make sense because the same pulse should do #1 and #4, but apparently it worked for somebody. Don't just throw parts at it. Test your parts. In the long run it will be cheaper and you are less likely to muddle something up.

I don't think the lower air filter box makes that much difference. That is before the filter and before the sensors, so I don't think it will make much change at all. I would be more concerned about the top or the top not sealing to the bottom because then air (and dirt) could get in past the filter.
Old 10 May 2016, 09:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

More information would be great! Has the spark plugs and spark plug wires been checked or replaced lately? Has some fuel injector cleaner been put in the gas tank?
Old 10 May 2016, 09:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

My engine light blinks on idle. I replaced plugs and wires, coil pack, O2 sensor, cleaned throttle body from all carbon buildup, my brother did a compression check and #3 was 15 lbs lower. Replaced upper manifold seals; going to replace the lower today. Sprayed 2 Mopar combustion cleaner; 2 months apart. I have gotten the light to go out at times using marvel mystery oil and keeping the tank under half full. I also use chevron techron in the gas sometimes. I thought it may just have carbon up since the MMO would stop the light from blinking and go out. The light eventually returns.