Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Motor mounts oem worth the price?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2016, 04:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Motor mounts oem worth the price?

So 08 with turbo has a bad upper mount and was gonna replace myself instead of the dealership Hassel under warrenty. Question is...are the oem (100 BUCKS EACH) worth it? Genetics are half the price and considering the oem went out with less than 60k miles, I don't really see the quality unless the generic only lasts 10k. Thoughts or exp with the generic?
Old 11 May 2016, 05:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Motor mounts oem worth the price?

I'm also interested to know the consensus on this. 2.2 guys just used to fill them up with some version of caulking to stiffen them up and make them last longer. PT Cruiser guys seem more willing to spend.
Old 11 May 2016, 05:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I recommend to use Dorman and be sure to read up on how to correctly install and set them up.

Usually (and it is a good idea) the*upper and lower strut supports get replaced together.

*descriptive names
VsandFords likes this.
Old 11 May 2016, 06:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I recommend to use Dorman and be sure to read up on how to correctly install and set them up.

Usually (and it is a good idea) the*upper and lower strut supports get replaced together.

*descriptive names
Just read up on that 4.7" from center of top bolt to hole on the bracket. Might see how much of a Hassel it is going to be to have the dealer do it under the life time warrenty.
Old 11 May 2016, 08:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

One last question on removing the right (center) mount
On an 08, can I get away with removing the main mount bolt (big torque set) and the 4 bracket bolts and just slide the motor mount up or down to get it out, or do I need to take the long route (remove lower and upper, disconnect exhaust etc.) To replace this mount? Just hoping there was a design change and Chrysler made changing this mount ez on an 08. Seems like if I remove the mount bolt and the 4 bracket bolts, it would slide right out.
Old 11 May 2016, 08:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have 30,000 miles on the OEM upper and lower torque struts on both of my PT Cruisers and still rides like new PT Cruisers. I did some research on this and it was hard to determine if aftermarket torque struts would perform the same with members feedback due to how the torque struts were installed and if they were done properly according to the manufacture shop manual. I probably would go with Dorman as NitroPT suggested the next time I replace them.
Old 11 May 2016, 08:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
Just read up on that 4.7" from center of top bolt to hole on the bracket. Might see how much of a Hassel it is going to be to have the dealer do it under the life time warrenty.
It only takes about 15 minutes if you have all the tools ready after you are in the process of replacing both torque struts!
Old 11 May 2016, 09:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
One last question on removing the right (center) mount
On an 08, can I get away with removing the main mount bolt (big torque set) and the 4 bracket bolts and just slide the motor mount up or down to get it out, or do I need to take the long route (remove lower and upper, disconnect exhaust etc.) To replace this mount? Just hoping there was a design change and Chrysler made changing this mount ez on an 08. Seems like if I remove the mount bolt and the 4 bracket bolts, it would slide right out.
Can you take a picture of what it looks like? I don't think the design changed much but I could be wrong. I just did my center mount a couple of weeks ago, biggest PIA ever. On the flip side I know how to take my motor out within about an hour lol.

Ebay has a seller that sells all four mounts for $77, never noticed a quality difference in them but I never looked that hard. Measuring the 4.72" is easy, takes no extra time honestly.

Chrysler PT Cruiser Motor Mounts | eBay
Old 11 May 2016, 09:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The Anchor mounts are $9.13 for the upper and $9.61 for the lower at Rock Auto (plus shipping). They are about as easy to replace as disc brake pads. The only hassle is removing all the clips to take out the right front wheel splash guard. The 4.7" (119mm) spacing is very close to the spacing of the engine at rest anyway and it doesn't take much jack pressure to rotate the engine those few millimeters to the correct spacing.

BTW, these parts were for my 2009 NA Base AT car. Even though Rock Auto claims the 2949 is for the STD transmission, this one fit perfectly with the proper bolt hole size.

I can't believe the dealer wants $100 each. The Anchor warranty is 12 months, I guess if they fail in 13 months every time, you will break even with the OEM's in about 10 years.

Lots of good Youtube videos on how to change the mounts, probably because they fail so often. I haven't seen one that emphasizes the adjustment at the end but it's there in the service manual and if you don't do it, you are preloading the bushings and that will likely accelerate wear on them.

Here's a good explanation on the symptoms of broken mounts and how to replace the lower mount.

Here's one that shows the little trick of maneuvering the upper mount to get it out.

EDIT:
Here's a video that does explain the 4.7" 119mm measurement. The important stuff is at 4:00
VsandFords likes this.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 11 May 2016 at 09:31 pm.
Old 12 May 2016, 11:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post

*descriptive names
Got a link for Dorman mounts? i can't find them anywhere. Turns out, the motor mounts are not considered "engine vibration dampening components", which are covered under the lifetime powertrain warrenty.