PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with a couple of items for state inspection

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2016, 05:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Help with a couple of items for state inspection

Ok, it looks like I can keep the car I was going to flip, but I have to get a couple of things fixed to get it inspected.
2005 convertible, standard trans.
1. Speedometer. I am getting a P501 code, but have changed the speed sensor. The gear felt loose and didn't feel like it meshed in the transmission. Should it? It also would come out so I could get a better look at it. Is there a trick.
2. Air bag light. I believe there are a few parts involved and to be honest I don't mind changing all of them, but where do I start?

The car drives like a dream and is clean inside and out.
Old 11 May 2016, 06:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Help with a couple of items for state inspection

I am in the middle of the air bag problem myself. You can start by (disconnecting the battery) and unplugging all the connectors under the driver and passenger seats. There is a red tab that needs to be pulled back before unlatching the connectors. Then take some contact cleaner and spray it onto the plug side and receptacle side of the connectors. Check for loose pins and broken wires. Plug them all back in and reattach the battery cable. You can also play around with the passenger seatbelt receptacle but if that is the problem, you'll need to remove either the seat or center console to get to it. I'm figuring that out myself. There is a sensor that tells you (or fails to tell you) that the passenger seat belt is unbuckled.

There is also a sensor on the driver's seat belt that tells the car that the driver's seat belt hasn't been pulled out because in my 2nd gen (2009), the seat belt idiot light goes out when I simply pull the belt out by a few inches. No need to buckle the driver's seatbelt to make the light go off.

A scanser can tell you where the problem lies. The cheapest one I've seen so far is from Sears for $170 It looks similar to the cheap OBD2 scanners from Harbor Freight but none of the HF scanners read SRS codes unless you get their $1100 do-everything scanner. I'm not positive this scanner will read the code, but the manual shows that it does Chrysler on page 49.
Old 11 May 2016, 06:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks. I'll try it.
Old 11 May 2016, 07:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Clock spring is a common problem.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 May 2016, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking to see if one of the auto parts stores have a scan tool that will read SRS codes for free. Its not very often we get a member asking for assistance on air bag issues.

Does your horn work okay?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 11 May 2016 at 07:27 pm.
Old 11 May 2016, 08:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirchris View Post
Ok, it looks like I can keep the car I was going to flip, but I have to get a couple of things fixed to get it inspected.
2005 convertible, standard trans.
1. Speedometer. I am getting a P501 code, but have changed the speed sensor. The gear felt loose and didn't feel like it meshed in the transmission. Should it? It also would come out so I could get a better look at it. Is there a trick.
2. Air bag light. I believe there are a few parts involved and to be honest I don't mind changing all of them, but where do I start?

The car drives like a dream and is clean inside and out.
With someone watching the speedometer with the ignition on, give the sensor gear a spin with a flick of the fingers after you take it out and see if the speedometer pointer jumps. This might show that the sensor and wiring is okay.
Fk5 and ptprice like this.
Old 11 May 2016, 09:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

That sounds like a good idea, but the gear won't come out. I got it to snap onto the speed sensor and was able to set it down into the trans.
Old 11 May 2016, 10:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The air bag light or abs light do not have to be out to pass Texas state inspection. I changed the interior of my Ford Fusion from cloth to leather and after the seats were reinstalled the air bag light came on. They passed it.
The engine light does have to be out.
Old 12 May 2016, 03:50 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks. I live in a county that doesn't require emission testing, so I think I can get by with the engine light, but I have to have the speedo. I didn't know that about the air bag light though
Old 12 May 2016, 07:03 am
Regular Cruiser

Ok, I had very limited time last night. As far as the Air bag light, horn works, didn't have time to check the cruise control yet. I'll get that tonight.

On the speedometer, I found the following online. Any thoughts? Has anyone ever had to change the gear before? Splitting the case is going to be costly and I don't have the time to do it myself (nor do I want to)

Pull the speed sensor back out of the transaxle and with a helper watching the speedometer with the key on, give the speedometer gear a 'flick' to turn it quickly. The speedometer needle should jump.
If it jumps, then the sensor, wiring, ECU and speedometer are OK.
There is a white nylon speedometer worm drive gear on the differential that drives the gear on the sensor. The nylon gear may have broken.

If you can poke down there in the hole and move the nylon drive gear on the differential with a screwdriver tip, then the gear is probably broken. The transaxle case halves would have to be separated to service the gear.